17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2016 2:26 AM by rewired&happy RSS

upgrades to suites

seanjaz Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am a lifetime Platinum members.  Some of the comments here are making me wonder if I am getting my fare share of upgrades to suites.  So, let me ask, for those of you who are platinum members, how often do you get upgraded to suites?

Here is my estimate of my experience

Marriott - 5%

Renaissance - 50%

JW Marriott - 0%

Residence Inn - 80%

Fairfield - 0%

Ritz - 0%

Courtyard - 0%

Is your experience different?  I must admit, I never ask for upgrades, and recently I usually check in via the mobile application, so I don't even have a chance to ask for upgrades

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: upgrades to suites
    randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

I'm Lifetime Platinum and Platinum Premier.  Almost never get an upgrade except perhaps a corner room.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

702rugbyref Platinum

I rarely get upgraded and I often forget to ask honestly. I hope I get upgraded in Shanghai at JW Tomorrow Square!

seanjaz Platinum 4 Reviews

I have stayed at the JW tomorrow square several times.  I don't know if I ever got upgraded, but the rooms are so spectacular that I consider every room an upgrade!

The concierge lounge is something else.  Have some water melon juice there

702rugbyref Platinum

I sooooo....look forward to their experience! Thanks!

rewired&happy Platinum

Just Ask!  You will likely get it.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I have been upgraded to a suite at the Marriott Waikiki the past 2+ years since I became platinum. Prior to that I was not upgraded as Gold.  I have received suite upgrades at a few other Marriotts that was a one night and done on business.

I have received upgrades to nicer/larger rooms better views on a consistent basis... again as a Platinum member. Very rare when I was Gold.

ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

Marriott Wakikiki Honolulu is is one the few Marriiotts I DO NOT recommend..Its not very clean and is a high traffic hotel..Its is Not located on the beach like the Hilton Hawaiian Village is..Honolulu is one the of the few places where  Hilton Beats Marriott Hands Down!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Currently Gold, but was platinum for a number of years.  Upgraded to suites at Courtyard on numerous occasions, Residence Inn more often than not, Marriott only a few times, JW never, Renaissance (never a suite, though I have only stayed at a few.  I did get upgraded at the Renaissance Aix-en-Provence a few weeks ago, but to a top floor room, with a balcony and fantastic view.  Would take it over a suite anyday).

beaug Platinum

Hi seanjaz

Outside of the US-  Most occasions I am upgraded to a suite. In the past year, maybe 5% of my stays so far havent been uprgaded, and in reality, when I am on the road for work, a suite is nice to have, but not that important.

In the US- It is hit and miss unfortunatley... Maybe 25% of the time I am upgraded to a suite. Clearly, the market can command more suite sales in the US, and there are many more plats and golds all competing for the same upgrade.

Good luck with your travel!

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

So far I have received very little suite upgrades except for a Fairfield Inn & Courtyard hotel where I stayed at for over a year each. I'm sure it varies by each property, but it does look like they are more willing to upgrade you if you are a frequent guest at the particular property.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

seanjaz

My understanding is even when checking in with the Marriott mobile app you should be getting upgraded.  I often do that myself, but ALWAYS ASK if I have been upgraded upon check-in.  I am currently Platinum Premier, as well as Lifetime.  The only time I don't get upgraded is when the hotel has a limited number of suites.  However, most of my travel is to Marriott properties I have stayed many, many nights.  That definitely makes it easier to be upgraded.  Don't even have to ask. 

shawnecooper Platinum

I have found that if you use the mobile app you get NADA.  I always simply make a call to the Platinum Line before arrival and they make a call.  I am Platinum Premier and Lifetime but I normally get a bottle of wine, cheese and a dining room table if they have one.  Even most recently when booking with points in St. Croix, so it was free to me,  I reached out to the sales manager before arrival as I do about 50 meetings a year with Marriott.  I had wine, ocean front suite and a personal visit.

coupons Gold

I just stayed two nites at the Residence Inn Islip Long Island NY.  I used two Cat 5 certificates and was told we would be in a studio; how nice to find we had a one bedroom. Staff was great. Checked in online got to front desk and everything was waiting for us

DannyGoh Platinum 1 Reviews

For number crunching, i stay in Marriott ptys for average ~120 days per year for last 4 yrs. Upgrade frequency to suites are:-

Renaissance 50%

JW Marriott 75%

Courtyard 2%

Marriott 0%

Autograph 100%

Countries where hotels are:

UK

Germany

Austria

Japan

Hong Kong

Malaysia

Thailand

Vietnam

SIngapore

DannyGoh Platinum 1 Reviews

For number crunching, i stay in Marriott ptys for average ~120 days per year for last 4 yrs. Upgrade frequency to suites are:-

Renaissance 50%

JW Marriott 75%

Courtyard 2%

Marriott 0%

Autograph 100%

Countries where hotels are:

UK

Germany

Austria

Japan

Hong Kong

Malaysia

Thailand

Vietnam

SIngapore

Snail5930 Gold

I 've noticed that when I take the cheapest and the most expensive rooms, usually no upgrade. When I booked something middle usually has upgrade.

rewired&happy Platinum

I make it a habit to inform the attendee "I am Marriott Platinum Member and would like to request an upgraded room".  If you don't say anything, the attendant may be inexperienced, or simply too busy to make that happen.  So I think it's fair to demand what has been promised to you. Hope that helps.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...