41 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2016 3:38 PM by monisame RSS

Getting upgraded via the app

pilam76 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

, I updated the app last week and a new feature for gold / platinum members was the ability to get notifications of upgrades via the app before checkin. I am curious to see if anyone has had any experience yet on using this?

• Re: Getting upgraded via the app
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I have used the app a coupe of times, but have not taken advantage of any upgrades yet. Curious to hear other's experiences with this!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

702rugbyref Platinum

I did online check in this week. No notification for me. Maybe no upgrade available. Will see what happens when I check in @ Irvine Marriott on Saturday.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

droma Platinum

I did online checkin this week at the San Diego Marriott Marquis.  Was notified early in the morning prior to checkin through the app that I had been upgraded (although I wish it would say what the upgrade was).  I received a nice waterview room over my cityview room, which I was pretty happy with considering a big conference was being held there over the same few days.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

I Had a message flash up on my screen saying your room is ready and you've been upgraded on my last stay but when you unlock the phone these disappear maybe it should say on the app that you've been upgraded

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I have seen the same thing.  There is nowhere in the app to review messages, so if you see it on your locked screen, when unlocked there is no message and no way to retrieve one.

100nightsplus Platinum 1 Reviews

I saw that too. I am lifetime Platinum member and have never been notified on the app for an upgrade. I always have to ask if one is available at check in. I am getting sick and tired of the hotels not looking at my preferences or offering an upgrade. I don't think the hotels listen to Marriott.

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I am curious on where this option is? I didn't update the App but assume it is automatically updated. Where on the app can you request an upgrade or select an option to be notified of an upgrade? Does this option only appear when you check-in on the App?

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

Bump .. lol I am hoping to get the answer. My next App check-in is not for another week soooooo just curious where this option is and if only appears when you can check-in with the app? I have been waiting for this option to become available.

seachi Platinum

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's an option you have to opt-in to get these notifications. When LindseyH mentioned "...but have not taken advantage of any upgrades yet." I think she meant "has not been given an upgrade."

I'm on Android and despite being upgraded on a weekly basis, have never seen the notification myself. If I'm curious, I'll look at my reservation details within the app and see if the room type is what I booked or a notch above.

monisame Platinum

Correct I have the app up to date and never got a notification of upgrades. !!! I always has to ask personally for un upgrade !!! Sometimes I got it. But never automatically

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I receive upgrades all the time.  In most cases, when I go to the app and check the room type, I see that I have already been upgraded before I check-in!!!!

As I have mentioned before, this became more frequent when I achieved platinum status late in 2014.

monisame Platinum

Well I am platinum too!!!  But  no  upgrades automatically for me

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Ask for them.

monisame Platinum

Of course I always ask for un upgrade but at the front desk.

ms.harris Platinum

So what I am understanding is that you have to request an upgrade at the location?   I do check in from the App.  I have never seen an option on the app for an upgrade and mine is up to date.  Am I correct??   Thanks y'all

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Y'all......how Southern! LOL

No way to request the upgrade on the app...so if you check your reservation and your room type did not change once you arrive at the property it is always best to request an upgrade from the Front Desk.  If you don't the answer is always the same.....NO!

ms.harris Platinum

Y'all is ingrained    LOL! 

ms.harris Platinum

you could but seems a little busy.  

100nightsplus Platinum 1 Reviews

This is a little off topic. However, it concerns upgrades. I checked into a courtyard in Elmira NY on a points stay. A suite became available and I asked if they could upgrade me (lifetime platinum status). They said sure but when they tried they said they could only upgrade paid stays not point stays. This was new to me. Has anyone else heard of this? I contacted Customer Care, and was told it doesn't matter how the room was booked. if the upgrade was available, I should get it.

pilam76 Platinum

100nightsplus  yea that front desk associate is way off. In July I stayed for 8 nights at the residence inn Central Park all on points. Booked the only room on points that was available, the lowest of 4 room types which is a city view room and was upgraded 2 room types to Grand Times Square view room!

monisame Platinum

This is a very nice hotel. I asked for un upgrade and they gave me a corner room on the 55th floor.  I was able to see Central Park and the Hudson river too.   One of the best views of New York  Nice touch.

seachi Platinum

I see this all the time. It's very frustrating. It's my understanding that a paying ($) customer of the same status will get an upgrade over someone using points, but I've been told many times that franchisees instruct their employees to limit upgrades of those using points regardless.

I'm all for upgrades being a fully automated process similar to airlines.

mycatdixie Gold

That definitely is incorrect.  I had a 5 night points stay at the Sydney  Marriott  and never had to ask. They upgraded us to a junior suite  and couldn't do enough for us. Each property  is very  different.  In Maui  I had to ask for an upgrade  for my friend,  who is platinum.  They weren't  going to offer it, but she ended up with an ocean front room and I know she was on points.

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews

mycatdixie, I've stated under a different threat what you experienced, international properties are the only ones that consistently make an effort to upgrade elites. Even when they can't, they make an apology that an upgrade wasn't available. Domestically it is extremely hit or miss and usually the miss. I can't tell you the last time I was upgraded domestically without having to ask for it. And if you have to ask when using the mobile app, then checking via mobile is a waste of time.

crashrit Platinum 1 Reviews

I've never had the App tell me - I've magically had to remember what I originally booked and see if its changed (Room Type) - the rental car people are catching up with the times (pick your car, instant upgrades, etc) - but Marriott hasn't (fully) - in my opinion.

greenit Platinum 4 Reviews

Used the checkin check out feature 30 times this year alone.  NOTHING about upgrades.  Nor ability to select floor, room location, or type.  Even when checking in I would say it is 50/50 chance they have the room ready or keys made.  This app feature has so MUCH potential.  They just need to get after it.

buckeyesteve Platinum

I have had the upgrade message show up on the app, more so with Marriott properties.

HA!  I was upgraded Monday night to the Concierge floor at the DFW Airport Marriott.  Speak of the devil....Marriott Upgraded via App.png

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews

The odds of seeing upgrade through the app is about the same as getting the missing game piece for Starbucks for Life...

Most impressive!

pilam76 Platinum

Recently stayed for 8 nights at the Residence Inn Central Park and 2 nights at Fairfield Inn Key West Collection, was upgraded both times but was never notified via the app. I did notice for the Central Park reservation on my actual reservation before I checked in they upgraded me.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Dont remember seeing an upgrade on the app either

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Last 2 times I've stayed at a full-scale Marriott I checked in with the app.  When checking back later and looking at the details of the room I'd been upgraded both times to (one heck of a) suite.  Working for me!

asteris Platinum 1 Reviews

I came back from Spain a couple of weeks ago on leisure and was upgraded in two of the 3 AC hotels I stayed in, paid on points for the Malaga AC hotel and was upgraded to a suite (Amazing and lovely hotel) and the Autograph collection AC hotel in Granada paid cash and was upgraded to a courtyard room (which was quite unique and lovely). Just been to Bristol for a couple of nights on business and was given a suite. It's been working for me, App notifies me. I like how it tells you which room you'll likely be getting before you've checked in. It did change after check in in the last case, booked Standard, app said I was getting a superior and the change to a suite when I was notified it was ready.

I've had an excellent experience with the App and Marriott. The only complaint about the app is having to re-sign on a regular basis but I can live with it.

davidax Platinum

I usually check-in by the App, got plenty of upgrades (visible in on-line reservation prior to check-in even) but I have never seen any upgrade notifications. US properties only? Some particular brands perhaps?

asteris Platinum 1 Reviews

My notifications have been for UK properties

panderson1113 Platinum

i love checking in using the App but I must say my experience with Hilton this month was amazing. I am a loyal lifetime platinum  Marriott person but I have to stay at Hilton's when required by my boss. Their App lets you select your room. Amazing! I do get great upgrades but it is always a surprise.

Yea, Marriott is so behind in technology, megabonus, apps, and experience it is amazing they have any brand loyalty.  They could do so much more.. but I am not sure they see the money in competing with the smaller chains.  Then again sooner or later the smaller chains will really have something and Marriott will be desperate to catch up.   Classic problem of to big to fail until it fails spectacularly.

monisame Platinum

Hi there!!! I think the app is not working . Yesterday I did a check in through the app for Marriott Fort Lauderdale Coral Springs.. No upgrades. I also asked some requests and it does not work at all. I tried to talk with a representative but no way nobady was avaiable at the other side. I tried several times. Always get the message sorry nobady is avaiable

I have not arrived to the propèrty yet, I am expecting to reach the hotel  pretty late at night since I am attending a metting in Orlando.  I advise by the up that my husband will be doing the check in instead of me since he arrives early in the morning.

Also called marriott reservation center and add him as a guest. He  did not get a nice room !!! and he also had trouble to get into internet, he is a marriott member too but as the reservation was done under my name they are expecting me at the fornt desk.  Of course no platinum present .

Also I tried to reach the GM but of course nobady was on duty.

I am wondering If I we the possibility to do the check in an out by the up, why they want to see me!!!!

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi monisame,

Please send me a private message with your Rewards number and Reservation number and I'll have our Customer Care team look into not receiving your Platinum Welcome gift, as long as have our IT team look into the issue with the app.

monisame Platinum

Thanks deannad I am sending the details to you.  I spoke with Customer Care  they told me that If I no reach the hotel desk I can not expect anything. So for them the app that allows you to do the check in does not exist. !!! The recognition seems to come only if you present your id. Really I don t understand. Thanks again. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...