81 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2016 6:42 AM by jerryl RSS

ANNOUNCEMENT - Hotel Change for Sept 16-17, 2016 Insider Gathering (TIPPLE)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Big News!

We are changing hotels in Houston for the Marriott Rewards Insider Event of the Year, known to many of you as TIPPLE (groan).

The dates are still 16-17 September, 2016 but the location will now be at the Downtown Houston Hotels | JW Marriott Houston Downtown, not the JW Houston Galleria on Westheimer Road as previously announced.

Why the change?

Several reasons

• The Downtown JW has offered us an amazing rate of $119 per night, good beginning Thursday 9/15 and ending with a checkout on 9/19 (for anyone wishing to arrive a day early or stay a day late). I should note this rate, despite being a great discount, will qualify for both MR points and elite night credit. Here is a direct link to where you can book the Insider rate (don't forget to select your specific dates for the weekend).

Book your group rate for Marriott Rewards Insiders

If you wish to call the hotel directly to book, please mention the group name "Marriott Rewards Insiders." The hotel number is 731-237-1111.

• We will have access the Concierge Lounge all weekend (we were unable to confirm this at the Galleria)
  • NathalieF has arranged for a cocktail reception hosted in the Lounge on Saturday from 7-9pm (that time can be changed if necessary so speak up if you prefer something else). During this time the lounge will be closed to other guests.

I know many Insiders have already made reservations at the other JW based on our previous announcements. Please take a moment to cancel those and book at the new hotel. We did try to secure a discounted rate at the JW Galleria and were unsuccessful. If I recall, some folks, jerrycoin, erc, and wesleywc have bookings at nearby properties (such as the Residence Inn near the Galleria). There are similar options, including a Residence Inn, just a few blocks from the JW Houston Downtown. The Autograph ICON, a CY, and a SHS are all located nearby as well, but with a rate at the JW of roughly half the regular rate, why stay anywhere else? Seriously though, feel free to book at any of the nearby properties if that better suits your needs.

Oh, one more thing. Please book by 8/17/2016 to get the discounted rate. Sadly, anyone who was planning use a cat 1-5 certificate at the previous location will not be able to do so here, as the property is a category 7 (but at $119 a night, it's likely a better value to use your cert somewhere else anyway).

Hopefully no one will feel the need to cancel due to our change in venue. We're less than 10 miles from our original location. Also, being more centrally located may make it easier for anyone coming from the airport.

brightlybob is keeping an unofficial attendance list. No one on the list is required to attend (except perhaps him, me, and IAHFLYR). If you would like to join us, leave a comment on this thread. Brightlybob will update his list. Since Marriott is hosting a reception for us, it might be helpful (though not required) to let him know if you will be bringing any guests (spouse, children, political candidates , etc.).

I do apologize for the change. Had brightlybob and I known the kind of reaction this event would receive, we would have reached out to Nathalie much earlier. She has worked tirelessly behind the scenes for quite some time to make this happen. I send along a big shout out to her for putting up with me and coordinating with the hotel to bring all of this together. Great Job, Nathalie!

I look forward to seeing everyone planning to join us in Houston.

Cheers,

bejacob

Message was edited by: bejacob (formatting issues)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston Downtown
  • Re: ANNOUNCEMENT - Hotel Change for Sept 16-17, 2016 Insider Gathering (TIPPLE)
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great news bejacob and we owe you and NathalieF a HUGE thanks for working to pull off this change in venue. It sounds like a win win for everyone except the JW Galleria (maybe they lurked on Insiders ).

There is one small issue regarding the time from downtown to the Galleria area. Traveling Westheimer at any time of day can be a pain with stop lights, traffic and possible train crossing the Westheimer from time to time, but still should not be longer than 20 minutes.

Thanks again to bejacob, brightlybob for having the idea and to them as well as NathalieF for making this all come together in a very creative fashion.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: ANNOUNCEMENT - Hotel Change for Sept 16-17, 2016 Insider Gathering (TIPPLE)
    nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Everyone - I am so bummed that I can't attend, but Brenda and I have finally decided to actually tie the knot, so that weekend will be the end of the honeymoon, and I know that I'm really safe in saying that Texas is the last place on earth she would want to be! This has been scheduled for a while, but we were debating the date and finally decided to stick with our original date.

I hope that this (the get-together, not the wedding!) will occur again and that I will get an opportunity to meet all my Rewards friends. (As I don't have a Facebook account, you're the only on-line friends I've got! I feel so deprived. LOL)

And wesleywc, I'm really going to miss the dog. Somehow I always knew that this event would end up going to the dogs! (Just kidding.)

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

bejacob

You can add me to the new list that you are constructing.  I made a new reservation for the JW Marriott Houston Downtown property for Saturday night (9/17).  I am looking forward to meeting all of the Marriott Insiders who will be attending. Thank You for organizing this event.

gm1

peymanagement Platinum

bejacob, I made the reservation downtown, what I don't see is cancelation details. What are you seeing on yours?

Thanks for doing this, I think staying downtown makes a lot of sense and great price.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

This has taken a long time and we can only apologise that a change of venue has become necessary but with the numbers we really needed that lounge access as a meeting place and when it came to it, for reasons I just don't understand the Galleria JW felt unable to unlock the doors. An odd position, I don't know wether they felt our unruly group would wreck the joint then run away leaving the bill unpaid, but whatever, thanks to @NathalieF (for some reason the link to your name doesnt work on Safari @NathalieF) valiant efforts and bejacobs legendary patient persistence the deal was done with the very salubrious JW Downtown and we are good to go.

See you there at our TIPPLE in September...

texaschef Platinum 1 Reviews

Do we have an idea yet of the itinerary for the event? Would make deciding when to book room reservations

so much easier...

Thanks!

There are no plans other than to gather in the lounge Friday evening and the Marriott-hosted reception on Saturday. The rest of the weekend is free. I know some folks have expressed interest in the Johnson Space Center. Others are considering the football game between the Houston Texans and the Kansas City Chiefs. If you join us, how you spend your days is up to you.

The short answer is this. There is no itinerary. Come for the talk, share Marriott stories, and if you're like brightlybob, drink a few lots of beer.

It's an informal gathering unencumbered by anything resembling a schedule.

nationwide Platinum

bejacob and brightlybob and NathalieF Thanks so much to each of you for putting this event together! 

While just becoming active in the last month or so on Marriott Insiders, I've read the run up in TIPPLE planning over the past many months, and you've convinced me it will be a great fun to meet some fellow road warriors who have demonstrated our loyalty to Marriott over the years!  So, brightlybob, please add me and my wife to the list of attendees!  I will book our room tomorrow, and I look forward to meeting you all (y'all) in person!

nmballoonist Platinum

Many thanks to bejacob brightlybob and especially NathalieF.  Great rate and wonderful we have the lounge and cocktail reception.  I have moved my reservation over to the new and improved location.  My attendance is still up in the air (sorry for the pun) due to my involvement with the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.  Hoping I can wedge some time in to be able to join everyone and particularly meet Mr. B.

seatexan Platinum

Well this certainly mixes things up for me! I will need to speak to my parents (yes even at 33!)... only because they were going to fly into the states to meet up with me and my sister (for my mom's b-day). Seeing as Gina and I were already going to be in Houston for the meet, they thought it would be a good time for a family gathering.  They were not going to come to the TIPPLE but now that the TIPPLE has something a bit more "formal", I will need to make sure they don't kill me for "ditching" them a few times.  Like Saturday 7-9 prime dinner time... LOL

My mom's birthday celebration will have to trump this event.

Still count me in and maybe I can persuade my parents to fly in some other time, ha! I REALLY REALLY don't want to miss this.

My mom is lifetime Gold and got me started with Marriott....so she would not mind, but my father... yeah I won't even bring this TIPPLE idea up to him!

I will keep you all updated!

It has not become something more formal. The only change (other than the location) is that Marriott offered to host a reception for us in the lounge on Saturday night. That wasn't our idea, though it's a wonderful gesture for which we are most grateful. The only reason to even consider an approximate count is so that Marriott (and the JW) can plan appropriately (we've got around 22 or 23 Insiders who plan to attend. Even with guests, I'd be surprised it that jumped much beyond 30-35. I know a fair number of us will be flying solo, but some will have others joining them).

The weekend shindig is still just a bunch of Insiders showing up at the same place at the same time. Join us for whatever part of the weekend that works for you.

From the very beginning, we have done everything possible to keep things as loose as possible. The need for help on an Insider rate and CL access only arose because of the amazing outpouring of support from the community. That's not a bad thing.

seatexan Platinum

"formal" LOL used loosely... and yes, I think it is fantastic that a reception was offered to us!  I am pretty excited about that.

Well I did just book my room and also sent a very lengthy e-mail to my mom... letting her know that it was pretty gosh darn important to me that I show up for part of the reception.    I don't know when else I would get to meet all of you wonderful people!

I'm sure most of us will be hanging around the lounge often during the weekend. If you can't find us there, try the bar.

To echo bejacob here, SeaTexan, theres nothing formal about this, it's a meetup of community members, that's all. As bejacob has said, Marriott has kindly offered a cocktail hour which is very good of them, but it really is just a meetup of interwebthingy friends met via this site, to talk, drink and generally lounge about together. I'm there from Thursday evening, though doing some work on Friday, bejacob is turning up Friday afternoon I think, as I think most are, but some are here only for one night, others such as Jsucool76 are considering all 4 nights. So people will drift in and out, as will I too, so I'd book the outstandingly cheap rate for yourself and your parents for the weekend and drop in on us when you can, we'll either be in the lounge or the bar... Well that's where you'll find me, even if everyone else has decided to do yoga or whatever - and I'm very happy to have a private TIPPLE with you,SeaTexan.

Mind you, I might be interested in seeing the "confusing game" (ie American football) if someone's planning a visit there. Less sure about the space centre...

seatexan Platinum

You all really dislike that word don't you...  

What word is that? TIPPLE???

The

Insiders

Points &

Palliative

Liquor

Event

I like the word TIPPLE as an acronym for our insiders meetup, in fact I think the genius who coined it should receive 1million Marriott Reward points...

So I wonder who that was.. ?

Aha... Who's attending TIPPLE in Houston on 16th & 17th Sept 2016? Here's the list... Wow look at that, it seems it was me... Woohoo!!!

seatexan Platinum

bahaha the word FORMAL.... I mean after all, we are having an officially recognized reception time and location which will be off limits to other guest.  (Thank you NathalieF and Marriott!)

I'd would call that "formal"... but not in a serious way. Just in a "officially recognized" way.

I love the word TIPPLE the man that thought that up is a genius!

Formal means I have to pack my tuxedo <sigh>. I guess I need to pull it out and see if it still fits.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

TIPPLE is the silliest term ever! But seeing how Mr. Brightly is such a likable chap, I shall sportingly tolerate it.  My biggest concern doesn't center so much around the word FORMAL, as it does around the word CLEAN.  As in, CLEAN clothes!  Landing in Houston, I will be coming straight off of a 16 day Italian holiday.  I seriously doubt I'll have anything CLEAN to wear!  I might have to go shopping on Saturday!

Speaking of clean, I'm very sorry, but I did not have time to hop over to the Paris Marriott Ambassador and make inquiries on your behalf.  You can email your inquiries to them at aurelie.conton@parismarriottopera.com or reservations.ambassador@parismarriottopera.com (they will forward your inquiry to the correct person and are very good with responding).

I hope you can make everything work out for both TIPPLE and Mom's birthday.

seatexan Platinum

Thanks for the info I will send them an e-mail.  I too love clean clothes, lol!  Not too much great downtown shopping, a new Forever 21 and BCBG... from one price extreme to the other, heh. Unless there is something that just popped up that I don't know of.

I know I am going shopping and I will be happy to drive you to the Galleria.

I think my mom is now reconsidering the birthday weekend date after my e-mail.  Moving it to Oct as her birthday is really in Oct.  She just thought b/c my sister and I were already going to be in Houston, it would be a good time.  She had only booked her room, not the flight.  Phew!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Well, I might be staying at the Galleria.  I have 2 cat. 5 certs burning a hole in my pocket, and I don't know where else I can use them!  We'll see, as who wouldn't want to stay at a JW that is being as nice to this group as the JW Downtown, plus having the added convenience?   I am planning on renting a car (don't really see how it can be avoided, but if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.)

Ouch. I knew this change would bite a few. If you still want to stay downtown, the RI, CY, and SHS at the convention center are all cat 4. Hard to justify choosing those over a $119/night JW, though.

Any other summer travels where you might put the certs to good use? Letting them go to waste is not an option (in my opinion ).

pluto77,

Don't think you really need a rental car unless you plan on moving around quite a bit in H-Town.  There are Private Cars plus SuperShuttle and the like to get you from the big airport (that's what we call IAH or "It Ain't Hobby) plus you avoid parking fees at the hotel either of them and I'm sure some with cars will be happy to take you shopping at the Galleria or to a Laundry to wash your clothes!!!

I'd offer my services as a chauffeur however; not sure if I'll be staying downtown the entire time or driving back and forth to The Woodlands to take the Wife home on Saturday and bringing her back down on Saturday afternoon.  Plus with the likes of brightlybob, bejacob and others hanging out in the bar from time to time, I certainly cannot miss that show and be part of the entertainment now can I?

We will work it out and see in a few months how it plays out.

I'm afraid you'll have to forego the "confusing game'" brightlybob. By the time it starts (noon Sunday), we'll be on the road to Corpus Christi. I'm sure we can catch a late game on the tele if you're dead set on watching.

For those of you who made your reservation at the downtown JW through the link provided on this thread, did anyone else besides myself NOT get it to show up in your account under reservations or anyone NOT get an email with your confirmation?

Like a big dumb Texan I did not write down my confirmation number expecting it to show up in my reservations in my Rewards account and an email, neither has happened.  Just curious to see what others have found when you made your reservations.

I just booked it again and they let me in....yeah!  Now to call the hotel and cancel the one I made yesterday.

Thanks for the info kids and I do mean kids!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

I am planning on changing my reservation, and just staying at The JW Galleria.  Is there anything special that I need to do, or notify them of this event?

I will not need a car this way, and will enjoy spending as much time as possible with all of you!

702rugbyref Platinum

I will keep this in mind. A good possibility I can pull off this trip. Will advise. Phil

702rugbyref Platinum

What airport is the best to use for this hotel?

Great to hear you're considering joining us all 702rugbyref and I'll add you to the list. As for airports, well IAH is north of Houston and about 20 miles from the hotel, HOU is about 10 miles south so HOU is the closer of the 2 but far fewer airlines use it so you have less choice, though significantly Southwest does use HOU which could work out well for many. Not for us international travellers though...

Now I've never been to Houston but if you're only over for TIPPLE I just don't see any need to hire a car, especially as you'll then avoid $35/nt parking fees which will give you a good budget for the supershuttle or cab downtown and IAHFLYR has already indicated that Tipplers are unlikely to get much use from their automobiles over the weekend!

See you there!

702rugbyref,

As mentioned already Hobby (HOU) is closer to downtown being 11 miles while IAH is 20, yet driving time is about the same due to IAH having the Hardy Toll Road connector right into the airport and traffic on the toll road is often much less than on the Gulf Freeway (I-45) from HOU into downtown.  If you are renting a car and flying into IAH make sure the vehicle has an EZ PASS tag, if you are taking a Private Car service they will take the Hardy Toll road.  No idea what the toll is as I seldom drive from the airport to downtown.

HOU has Southwest, JetBlue, American and Delta although the last two have a more limited flight schedule mostly from ATL and DFW.

IAH has United, American, Delta, Frontier, Spirit, Alaska, WestJet, Air Canada and a bunch of International airlines. Here is a link to the Houston Airport System site:

Houston Airport System