7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2016 11:22 AM by trevfour RSS

Newcastle Gosforth Park Hotel (UK): Change in Executive Lounge Facilities

dralex Gold
Currently Being Moderated

After a challenging 2015, and a lot of work away from home, I (finally) made it to Gold Elite Status in February of this year.  I have since then enjoyed the Marriott Executive Lounges in Baku (Azerbaijan) and Istanbul (Turkey).

Closer to home, I travel to Newcastle, Northern England, three or four times a year. For my recent trip, I reserved a room at the Newcastle Gosforth Park Hotel: this appeared to be the only Marriott in Newcastle with an Executive Lounge.

On checking-in, last Sunday, I was informed, by an apologetic reception staff, that "the hotel owners" had decided to significantly reduce the range of beverages and foodstuff in the Executive Lounge. There were no longer any  early-evening drinks or canapes. The lounge now boasted a coffee machine and a fridge with bottles of still water. And these were the entirity of the Executive Lounge beverages.

Now, let's be fair. I was given a £10 voucher for the bar, and 750 bonus points "because[ I] had booked the room before the decision to alter the facilities in the Executive Lounge was taken".

But I would have preferred to have the expected range of beverages, rather than a voucher.

So what's next? Well, my next booking at this hotel is in a fortnight's time. I think that this will be the last time I will stay at the Gosforth Park.  After that, I shall shop around. The Marriott Royal County in Durham looks promising, so I think I shall use that Marriott in future.

Let me conclude with a message to the owners of Newcastle Gosforth Park Hotel: "Ladies and gentlemen, I perfectly understand that you have every right to run your hotel in any way you see fit. But I would like to ask you to reconsider this specific decision. I don't think that I am the only Gold Elite Member whose business you are losing."

Yours sincerely,

Dr Alex

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
  • Re: Newcastle Gosforth Park Hotel (UK): Change in Executive Lounge Facilities
    peymanagement Platinum

It would be a shame if EU Marriot's follow the lead of US and Canadian properties in cutting down on benefits. I am glad they gave you a 20 quid voucher to lessen your disappointment at the bar.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stuartt Platinum

I  had surpise lately and found the same , although no £10 voucher offered

I Left them a poor tripadvisor and GSS review and would encourage any other marriott regulars to do the same so the management company receive the message loud and clear -  stop upsetting your bet customers !

seatexan Platinum

I sent them this link via twitter.  I don't know who the management company is, but maybe the hotel manager will pass it along.  I doubt it, but at least the hotel will be aware. 

stuartt Platinum

Many thanks - I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears !

At  end of the day - the owners have bought a franchise along with the marriott brand and the marriott standards - it's a bit like a McDonalds deciding they won't sell big macs any more as the franchise owners think they know better and would rather sell kebabs - it's no longer a McDonalds

this his is going to damage marriotts brand and damage the business

on the plus side the Falkans Nest pub across the road is pretty good - oh yes and there is also a McDonalds - who serve big macs ...

seatexan Platinum

LOL!!! Well at least there is a bar close by and a McDs for burgers.  I agree that if you buy a franchises, you should follow standards.  I don't know what Marriott's actual written standards are.

I wonder if it is like the Best Western hotels, where people come in and inspect the hotel 1-2 times a year with an extensive check list..  If you are not up to all the standards, even not having proper lamps on the desk at a BW, you can lose the brand name. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've stayed here several times and gone out of my way to do so due to the excellent Lounge which had great food and long beer/wine hours. The hotel itself is nothing special at all, the one at the Metrocentre is more modern and very well positioned for shopping, the Crowne Plaza in the city centre is lovely if you're collecting IHG points. Further afield the Durham Royal County is fab and both times I've stayed they've upgraded me to a suite. No lounge but free breakfast and a quick and delightful walk to the medieval centre.

Gosforth Parks main draw for me was its Exec lounge offerings and with those gone I have no reason to stay there in future. I sincerely hope other elites make the same call as this is clearly a money saving exercise by the management and unless they see mounting losses the policy will stick, and - heaven forbid - spread...

trevfour Platinum

Thanks for the update DrAlex, Gosforth Park was a property we were thinking of using as a base to travel over to the Lake District. It is now no longer being considered.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...