14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2016 10:30 PM by peymanagement RSS

General Question that I Should Know - Member Status

benbuck6 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

OK, so we have been Rewards Members for a little over 2 months. We have 6 Nights and before Jan. 1 we will have about 25 nights. That will put us in the Silver Member Status. What happens Jan. 1? Do we go back to the beginning normal member status? Just wondering.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: General Question that I Should Know - Member Status
    droma Platinum

You will get to keep your status for all of 2017.  During that period you can either renew your status, stay more nights and get gold, or lose your status for 2018 if you don't hit the 10 night requirement.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

benbuck6 Silver

So, 25 more nights and I reach Gold? Yeah, we will make that happen for sure.

We will never stay 50 nights in a year but we do spend 3-4 weeks a year in a hotel so this makes me happy .

But when you get to Gold, what is the minimum night to keep it per year...? Will it still be 10 nights?

peymanagement Platinum

Not quite, you will have your status for all of next year but your points will reset to 0. You will be credited carry over nights for the difference between what you earned and what status you achieved. You then start at that number, so if you stayed 25 in 2017 you would not reach gold. But if you are staying that much you may consider a gold challenge when you reach silver.

benbuck6 Silver

my points or my nights reset to 0. I thought the points accumulated as long as you kept Membership active at any level.

peymanagement Platinum

I am probably confusing you, go to your account  overview page, click on nights, it is broken into nights detail for 2016 and lifetime status.. At the end of the year if you have 25 points, your nights detail for 2017 will reset to 0 but your rollover will be 15. (25 - 10). That is where you will start for earning status for 2017. your lifetime status will however be 25, but that does not effect anything. for many years.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

You can also move closer to any status level with a Marriott Chase credit card which gets you fifteen nights credit.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great question, benbuck6.  In order to maintain your status level, you will have to spend the required number of nights per year, 10 for Silver, 50 for Gold and 75 for Platinum.  So say you've reached Gold this year, you will have that status for all of next year and in order to maintain that status for 2018, you will need to stay 50 nights in 2017. 

benbuck6 Silver

what is this "Lifetime" status I see people talking about?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Lifetime status means not having to renew each year. To get Lifetime Silver you'll need to accumulate 250 nights and 1.2million points.

You'll notice on your account you have both the yearly totals and the lifetime cumulative numbers. Here's mine from sometime last month (I've added maybe 10,000 points since then).

lifetime.PNG

As you can see, I've got enough nights for Lifetime Silver (over 250) but not enough points.

Lifetime Gold needs 500 nights and 1.6 million points. Lifetime Platinum needs 750 nights and 2 million points.

Until you reach lifetime status, you'll need to renew your status each year. Also to answer one of your other quiestions, your points don't reset at year-end, only your nights.

hassmh Gold

Whatever status you have at the end of this year will be your status for all of next year, unless you move up during the next year. Any nights that exceed your current status will roll over to next year, giving you a head start to re-earn status. If you will have 25 nights at the end of this year, you will be Silver, and roll over 15 nights to next year. If you have 25 nights next year, you will end up with 40 nights, but the previous roll-over nights do not roll over again, so you subtract the 10 for Silver and 15 prior roll-over, ending up again with 15 roll-over to 2018.

Calculating all this can get a little confusing, but basically if you always stay about 25 nights, you'll always maintain Silver, unless you get additional nights from things like the credit card or promos, in which case you have a good chance of getting to Gold, but maintaining would require some additional effort, as you need to get back to 50 nights the following year to maintain it.

For example, I rolled over 23 nights to this year, which is how I will get to real Gold in August (temp Gold now thru June on a promo) and will have Gold all of 2017. But I will roll over 0 nights because I will not get anywhere near 73 nights needed to roll anything over (50 for Gold and 23 roll-over from 2015 subtracted from 2016 total). So to maintain Gold into 2018 I will need to reach 50 nights starting from 0 in 2017; not easy for me to do with my limited travel, so likely will revert to Silver again. However, after reaching Gold and then dropping to Silver again I do get the option to buy back Gold for 2018 for I believe 25,000 points. May be worth it, may not, I'll evaluate when the time comes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...