88 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2016 9:56 PM by homoviator RSS

Insiders credits

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I know the Insiders credits are for participation and bragging rights and different activities award various levels of credit.  But how does one rack up over 100 credits on the first day of the month?  ramoneur, what's your secret?  Did you win the credits lottery?  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Insiders credits
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

My guess is to follow everyone on Insiders and then like every other post!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

IAHFLYR, but there are daily limits, so I'm stumped as to how you can accumulate that many points in a day!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

You're both right. There are limits on some activities (you can only get 5 points per day for "likes"). Following others has no limit (other than the number of users). So what ramoneur is doing is following as many people as possible. I'm guessing the only reason is to bump up the Insider credits as I can't think of a logical reason to want to follow hundreds of users.

Folks used to do the same thing with "likes" which is why the limit was put in. I'd like to see that changed. Maybe you can only get 5 (or even 10) credits for liking other people's posts, but there might be no limit to how many points you can get from others liking your content. Or something along those line. Chances are good that if others try to "game the system," similar limits will be implemented on "following" or "tagging" content.

Message was edited by: bejacob

702rugbyref Platinum

What's the difference in the end when the credits don't mean anything except maybe some bragging rights and everyone who observed the credits would know who is 'abusing them'...or am I missing some value here?

Whether or not the credits are worth anything isn't the point.  And there's no abuse, either.  I'm simply curious as to how one can rack up a large number of credits. 

Abuse or not, the limit on "likes" came about because some folks (who are probably long gone) went "like" crazy. The limits imposed affected those of us who stuck around. You could even go so far as to say that the hotel reviews were dropped because of all the "one and done" posters who but up bad reviews. (I don't know if that is true, but the area did become a convenient place to vent about all sorts of wrongs real and perceived).

The point is that our actions on this site are monitored. The credits were created to add a bit of gamification to the site. Points for posting a blog, points for asking questions, points for having answers marked as helpful or correct, points for tagging content, points for following others, points for liking posts. All are meant to encourage activity. Limits were added later when it was deemed necessary.

A few months ago a user named lutycoon earned 827 points on the first day of the month (Feb?) by following 827 users. As far as I know, we've never seen him/her again. I guess I just question the concept of earning credits that don't mean anything just for the sake of earning credits. The running monthly activity is nice to know who's participating. Inflating the numbers sort of takes away what little meaning there was.

nationwide Platinum

bejacob Your observation of @lutycoon behavior on a single day fascinated me, so I took a look at the profile and subsequently the website referenced in that profile.  The Insider appears to be a travel agent, or in the travel business.  I'm wondering if there wasn't a "business purpose" behind trying to capture all those names.  As always, thanks for sharing your insights and observations. 

There are daily limits, I had no idea.  Guess I'd better get with the program as I've still got some 100 points to try and grab today as we're in for yet another 7" of water in 3 hours like yesterday.......no golf for a while AGAIN.

702rugbyref Platinum

I guess i don't have the time or gumption to even try to get any more credits that what I earn simply from liking a comment or making a comment.

peymanagement Platinum

muppetwrangler I was puzzled too, there are not enough new people to follow. I try to participate each day. My favorite day is when I don't get any points for putting a like on, as 5 others have already "liked" what I posted that day. I have not figured out the tagging, either. At the end of the day it does not matter. polls count, and I try to participate in those.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Just to make a point, I have "liked" every post on this thread!

Now that's the spirit!

I think if Insiders had a DISLIKE link we should get double points with no limit just for having the guts to dislike something!!

You're really trying to fill in for Misterchk, aren't you?

Ya think?   Nah, no filling in for that fella just like stirring the pot like I used to when at work.

There's a few other button options that come to mind! 

peymanagement Platinum

I think we may be getting off topic, It looks to me what is being said in this string is there is not much point in insiders participation points because there are ways to pad your points that don't truly reflect participation. So...why have it?

By the way my friend from California would have a field day with this post.

I'm thinking maybe at a higher participation level you get more credits than you do at a lower level?

peymanagement Platinum

no muppetwrangler, if that was so brightlybob and bejacob would lead the pack, but at the end of last month they were well behind.

Credits are credits. The only thing more participation does is allows more opportunities for likes and correct/helpful answers. If fact, I would welcome some "likes" on this comment, but please wait until tomorrow when the counter resets as I have earned all I can today.

I didn't notice where I was last month. It was probably in the top ten, but not in the top five. None of that matters. I post my comments, blog entries, occasional photo album pictures, and status updates. I'm sure most days I get the 5 credits for "likes." Content is far more important than credits. I will admit to getting a little irate when folks do something that causes limits on what we can do (such as the excess "likes" a couple years back that imposed the cap at 5 per day).

My latest pet peeve is related to all the "spam blog posts" that have nothing to do with Marriott and frequently nothing to do with travel. I usually report those to the moderation team and let them decide what to do with them. Most end up getting deleted. We cover a wide range of topics not always specifically Marriott related. Even so, some stuff is clearly out of place.

We're lucky Marriott has created a place for us. There are a lot of great folks here (and a few trouble makers as well ). We need both to make MRI what it is. To pinch my favorite line from one of the first friends I made here, "keep on keepin' on Insiders."

bejacob, if I like someone's post, who gets the credit?  The person whose post I liked?  Me?  Both of us? 

Both!  But only as part of your 5 a day.

I will mark your post as liked bejacob but not for another hour.  I have noticed the counter resets at 8am UK time, so nearly an hour to go.  If I mark it then, we will BOTH het a credit - whoopee!

I agree totally about the "spam blog posts".  I have often wondered what someone hopes to achieve by posting such things on a website such as this.  I just ignore them, but maybe reporting them is something more of the regulars such as myself should do to make sure they get deleted.

hassmh Gold

There have been a number of blog posts which are on the edge, for me anyway, where it seems there is some purpose besides providing useful information. I haven't reported any yet, but the suspect ones have links to a commercial site mixed into the content, with the obvious aim of having us click and generate revenue. Usually the links are mixed in with some useful travel information, which is why I haven't reported anything. If I were more dedicated I would Google the blog title to see if it's a copy/paste from elsewhere as an indication of whether it's genuine or spam.

Those are the tricky ones. I tend to leave anything with a connection to travel alone, though some probably don't belong on this site. If a blog has nothing to do with travel, I will report it. There was one related to financing a college education. It probably contained good info. It just didn't belong here. Others were thinly disguised adverts. The decision as to whether is stays or goes belongs to the moderators. I just bring things to their attention when I see something that looks out of place.

Like this one, for instance (Beat the Fuel with these Top Eco- Short Trips). Travel related. Links to offsite content. Nothing about Marriott.

Is it spam? Maybe.

Would I report it? No.

It does provide some good travel advice. It's somewhat questionable as to whether it belongs on a Marriott-owned site. More of these are popping up lately. I have mixed feelings about whether that is a good thing or not.

peymanagement Platinum

It looks to me that the guy is selling car phone holders. I usually just let these slip off the welcome page, but these blogs have no place on here in my opinion.

I guess the mods don't scrutinize the first few posts of a new poster anymore.

Some days or even for a couple of days it appears the Mods have disappeared and they certainly miss many of these Spam type threads.

When things are really off topic, then it's time use the "Report Abuse" link. This one probably qualifies, but it's not quite as bad as some I've seen.

Way to take us way off topic bejacob!!!

Perhaps I should ask muppetwrangler to branch the discussion into a new thread.

Would I get credits for it? 

LOL, I'll trade you some credits for some reward points? 

I have no earthly idea how my total is where it is....scary at best.

homoviator Platinum

I was totally thinking the same thing, IAHFLYR! lol.

peymanagement Platinum

LOL, Now we have espresso machines, I sent in a report.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Come on ramoneur, tell us how you did it. I doubt anyone cares enough to copy you, but it would be only right for you to get the props for your ingenuity... And if anything, I'm more curious as to the why as well as the how...

droma Platinum

I'm liking this comment even though I can't get anymore like credits for the day...

Well, having a quick look ramoneur is following 368 Insiders, you are following 54 brightlybob.  Might that have something to do with it?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I'm baffled by all of this. I have no idea how I get my credits (in what ratio, I know I get some sort of credit whenever I do "stuff", but have no idea as to the particulars.). In point of fact, I'm somewhat embarrassed by the number of credits that I have. I don't care about credits.  Except to say that I wish they didn't exist.

pluto77, I agree with everything that you wrote.  I never really paid much attention to the credits, although it caught my eye last month already that some Insiders had high numbers of credits for the month.  My curiosity was piqued as to how these credits are obtained and how one goes about reaching what seems like an unattainable amount. 

Credits should not be awarded for following others, they should be awarded when someone else follows you. That would solve the problem. Besides the credits, is there any benefit of following hundreds of Insiders? I'm still baffled as to why anyone would do it.

This is one of the most sensible things I have heard bejacob.  I notice from your profile you are following 31 Insiders.  In all the time I have been a member, I am only following 42.  Like you I am baffled as to why anyone would want to follow hundreds.  After all, the credits mean nothing in reality.  What really matters is the conversation/advice/information on Insiders.

BTW, I have liked your post, giving us both a credit. 

How about it NathalieF. Might this idea be passed along to the IT folks who maintain this site? Award credits not for following others, but by being followed. The current system can lead to abuse misuse.

Tagging carat, deannad, AndrewT, and lindseyh for additional visibility.

peymanagement Platinum

bejacob, I believe that the problem is that you can toggle the "follow" button and essentially get unlimited points.

peymanagement Platinum

I noticed this a few weeks back when I got separate notification three days in a row that the same member was following me. I think if that was fixed the problem would go away.

peymanagement  You're right!  I just did a little experiment.  I un-followed you, then followed you 3 times.  Each time I received a credit for following you. 

peymanagement Platinum

yes, and I checked and I got no points.

That's true. It only takes one or two users to take what was essentially a function system and break it. The sad thing is that it ruins it for everyone.

If that sort of activity continues, the solution will be to do away with the credits entirely. That would be a shame as they do did provide some modest value as far as knowing who was active.

peymanagement Platinum

Yes, and it is hard to understand the motives for doing it.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

IT also gets you a lot of e mails when you follow too many people. It got a little out of hand for me

Not sure I understand about "a lot of emails when you follow too many people"?  I get very very few emails from Marriott usually only regarding my Rewards account.  What am I missing in translation jerryl?

Are credits given when you comment on a post? 

peymanagement Platinum

No,

To me that's wrong as that's how participation should be measured.  

No, which is probably good. Can you imagine all the idiotic comments that would pop up?

Not necessarily.  Other groups I belong to have strict guidelines, and inappropriate comments are basis for expulsion.  Credits should be genuinely earned otherwise they're a false indicator of participation.

hassmh Gold

Not to go off on another tangent, but I'm baffled what the point of anyone following anyone is. I only did it because it was a way to get a credit when I checked into them, trying to figure out what they were all about. I'll admit I was looking for ways to boost my credits, as it was speculated somewhere that may have been a way out of posts being held up in moderation when I first became active (it wasn't, but was worth a shot).

But I didn't notice any difference when following people, no notifications of posts, no easy way to link to content of people I follow, so other than the feel-good message of "I like the content you post so I'll give you a follow credit" I don't see any point to the "follow" feature, just like the credits overall.

Am I missing something regarding the "follow" feature? Is there some simple way to see the content posted by people I am following? I'd expected it to work something like Twitter where I could see a list of most recent posts and thus access great content even more easily.

I followed members that were very active and whose posts I found helpful, interesting, useful, etc.  I also thought that it would work somehow like twitter, but it doesn't.  But I agree with you, it doesn't seem to offer any useful benefit.  Maybe I'm missing something?

hassmh Gold

At least I'm not the only one! Either we're both missing something, or there's just as much value in following someone as there is in boosting your credits: none!

peymanagement Platinum

hassan, Just to throw a ya but in, I think the lack of functionality has been established, however it makes me feel part of the community when I look at the list of people who are following me and I see the likes of you and Muppetwrangler and bejacob and brightly and jerrycoin and other esteemed members.

peymanagement Platinum

Oops I left out IAHFLYR, and the since departed ghost of Christmas past Chuck.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

hassmh, For me, there is value in following people who consistently post content that is of high interest to me.  Why?  By following these people, I am more assured of having their posts show up in my feed, so that I don't miss something great that they may have posted while I'm away from the forum. The flip side of that is that if one follows too many people, the private feed (inbox) can get overwhelming.  So I sort of stopped following people at one point. Thus, if there are any of you that have followed me, but I haven't followed you in return, please don't be offended; I'm on the forum often enough to catch most everything of interest to me, and truly appreciate the quality input from the vast majority of regulars here.  The fact that many of us remain here, I think is a testament to the quality of input from the members of this forum.  It continues to provide value to the Marriott traveler and consumer.

Additionally, to speak to jerryl's comment above, not only can we follow other posters, but we can follow discussion threads.  By default, if a person makes a comment on a discussion thread, they automatically become followers of that thread, and will continue to receive notifications anytime that someone else posts a comment on that discussion for as long as the discussion remains alive.  There is an option to 'unfollow' a discussion, if you want to 'leave' the conversation.  But to jerry's point, following people and discussions can lead to an overwhelming amount of email, based on your notification settings under preferences in your profile.  I got so tired of managing the dozens of emails (notifications by email of other's postings) that I was getting, that I turned off all of my email notifications.

I know whose posts I like to read, plus I hop on here often enough (most days, in fact) that it's pretty easy to seek out comments, posts and topics of discussion from posters with similar interests, without having to have all of those emails and notifications in my inbox.