5 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2016 5:00 PM by aaronplatinum4life RSS

Combining points and $$$...

aaronplatinum4life Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

...I was looking to use an award at a Category 5 hotel this fall.  It is offered for either 25,000 points or 14,000 points plus $65.

I've never seen this before.  Interesting.  The Member rate for the hotel is $400 for the night I want to stay, but if I'm looking at

this correctly, by taking the reciprocal of the point/$ ratio, it comes out to about $150/night using points and $$$, which is a pretty

good deal, given the $400/night rate.

Does anyone agree/disagree with my analysis?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Combining points and $$$...
    peymanagement Platinum

I think you are better off using the points only.

Nope I am wrong, you are better off with the 14000 points plus 65 dollars. you are getting 2.4 cents per points plus 65 $ which is very good. Points only would be 1.6 c/point.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tdogz Silver

If you say 25,000 points = $400 (1.6 cents per point),

Then 14,000 points would be equal to $224.

Add the $65 and the total 'cost' would be $289/night.

Or, looked at another way, you are buying 11,000 points for $65, which is a return of about 169 points per dollar.

...at least that is how I would calculate it.

aaronplatinum4life Platinum 28 Reviews

I don't think that's a good way to look at it.  That's more worth than cost.  If the room rate go down before the Fall, then it's worth less, but the cost stays the same...

hassmh Gold

You're effectively buying 11,000 points for $65, which is a pretty good rate, less than half what you can buy points for at the normal (and not-so-good) rate of $12.50/1000. If you don't mind spending the $65 it's a good deal given the current cash rate for the room.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...