8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2016 11:58 PM by techie RSS

Found Ring is 'lost' 3 days after it should have been mailed

drpau Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I am at a loss as to what to do, and am hoping I can get some guidance on the best way to handle this situation.

In a rush to check out from my stay at the Marriott City Center in Minneapolis to make a flight, I had left the wedding band my mother had worn on the rim of the tub. I wear it on a chain, and had taken it off to shower, forgetting to put it on.

The moment that I realized I didn't have it on (about an hour after I had left the property), I called the hotel and reported it missing. Not hearing anything back, about 2 hours later I utilizing the Marriott app, I checked the status of the search with the chat function of the app.

To my surprise and delight they had found it, but the housekeeper who had taken my information had written my number down wrong so they couldn't contact me. I was offered to have the items held it for me to return and pick it up or mailed it to me. I provided my mailing address and a credit card so they could ship it to me since I would miss my flight if I went back for it.

This was Monday May 30th in the afternoon. I was informed that I would see the tracking info in the chat part of the app, I also asked for an email with the tracking information.

Today (June 2nd), I received a call asking me to provide the estimated value of the ring for the insurance portion of the FedEx form. To my dismay, they had not yet mailed it out. No problem I thought and gave a quick low balled estimate and informed the person that the ring was priceless because it was an heirloom. She said she understood, and would email me the tracking information in a moment. She couldn't read me the tracking number because she had misplaced her glasses. 

30 minutes later she calls me back and informs me that the jewelry is missing. The envelope that the items were in is empty and she has no idea what happened to them.

I'm devastated. Does anyone have any advice on how to move forward? I am expecting a call from Loss Prevention and she said she would be calling Corporate as well. Should I file a police report? Anyone deal with something similar before?

Any guidance would be incredibly appreciated!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Found Ring is 'lost' 3 days after it should have been mailed
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi drpau,

So sorry to hear of this, I really hope your ring is not lost for good!

I'd like to have our team look into this for you as well. Please send me a private message with your Rewards number, Reservation number or dates of stay, and more details surrounding the correspondence you've had with the hotel so far (anyone's name that you spoke to and their position).

Thank you, and again, sorry about the situation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Something is flaky. I'd give them a couple of days to try to sort out what happened. Then, if it doesn't get "re-found" I would definitely contact corp and file a police report.

Do NOT threaten the hotel with those actions. Just give them a fair chance. If they don't perform, take action.

drpau Silver

Thanks for the response! I really really don't want to cause a problem, I just want my ring back. I am wondering if there is a process for this kind of thing and the steps I should expect them to take?

Or if anyone has experienced something similar? I have heard/read of people not getting their stuff back because the hotel staff couldn't locate it, but in this instance they found it and were supposed to ship it to me. Odd that they would lose it after confirming on two different days/calls/staff members that it would be shipped!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I, too, have my mother's wedding band and would be devastated if it were lost.  I do hope they find the ring again

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Just went through this with another Marriott property.  They are not good at writing down phone numbers consistently.  I was phoned back once.  Then nothing and I called them and they told me my number was "out of service". Actually they had written it down again incorrectly.   Fortunately we got the necklace back but not without a lot of effort and expense from my end.  It was also horribly tangled.  This could have been done in a seamless way which made my wife happy and instead there was a lot of anxiety and frustration.  I almost think I would have paid the thousand dollars of change fees and extra expenses if it happens again just to turn around and get it myself...

Marriott should consider documenting a process for these sorts of things, including a documented chain of custody for found items as well as processes so that people's credit card numbers aren't written on scraps of paper and kept insecurely.

The intent was there in my case, but they dropped the ball a few times and although I was thankful to get it back, it is frustrating the process, cost and uncertainty.  I hope you get the ring back.

nationwide Platinum

drpau any update on the lost ring?  I was hoping this had a happy ending....

seatexan Platinum

I am so so sorry to hear of this.  I too would be absolutely devastated and so sick to my stomach.  My heart hurts for you!

Please keep us updated!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I believe that the Minnesota Marriott City Center is owned by by Host Hotels. If you look on the website (Hosthotels.com) you may be able to find a contact to speak to them about this issue.... Might be worth a try...

I too am sorry about what occurred....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...