0 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2016 10:45 PM by curiousone RSS

Will SPG Program End with Marriott Purchase of Starwood?

curiousone Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

In all of the discussions since the confirmation of Marriott purchasing Starwood, the consensus seemed to be that SPG would be rolled into the MR program. I am finishing 5 days at the Westin Desert Willow Villas (time shares) tomorrow and had an interesting comment from the time share sales man that I met with. A little history: when I purchased my first Marriott time share Marriott Vacation Club International was part of Marriott. After about a year Marriott spun off MVCI as a separate business. MVCI continues to use the Marriott name, etc. by giving Marriott millions of dollars each year. When I purchased a Starwood timeshare in 2014 Starwood Vacation Network was part of Starwood. Prior to the sale of Starwood to Marriott the SVN was spun off as a separate company. The new timeshare company is Vistana Signature Experiences and is still using/promoting the SPG program (and paying Starwood millions of dollars each year). When I asked about the loss of SPG due to the Marriott purchase I was told that Vistana had an 80 year agreement with Starwood to use the SPG program. Since this contract was completed before the Marriott purchase, Marriott has to honor the contract. So, I guess the question is, can you trust a time share sales person?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...