5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2016 7:17 PM by solkua RSS

Are there internet connectivity standards?

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Traveling for work, internet connectivity is critical in my choice of hotels but recently service has been spotty in hotels I've stayed at. True Marriott properties are consistent but the Springhills, Courtyards, and Fairfields are all over the board. I've spent too much time with their help desk line and asked to download the speed test app and it has been enlightening how spotty connectivity is.

In my stays I've been told that the highest floor doesn't have great connectivity, sometimes poor connection because of wind, better connectivity from a restaurant across the street, speeds per speed test of 0.53 Mbps, and one hotel tell me that "enhanced internet" is the same as the other despite them showing it as more expensive (waived for me as Platinum).

Shouldn't there be a minimum download and upload speed to advertise that you have wifi? Too often I have to use my cell service to get better connectivity and it doesn't seem locally the hotel has any interest and just points you the 800 number. Curious in others thoughts? Sending a complaint does nothing. Each hotel tries to suggest that your phone or computer is the problem but miraculously is great at neighboring establishments/hotels, Starbucks, other.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Are there internet connectivity standards?

Well another stay with "Enhanced" Internet speed at a lower speed that the "free" connection in the lobby. Speed test showed the lobby to be about three times better than the what I had in the room.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I am seeing improvements at several Marriott properties. It seems like at least some of them are getting the message that this is an essential service.  The thing we have to do when the internet works is to compliment them on it, and make sure that they know this was a much needed and appreciated investment. and in hotels where it doesn't work, check out.  If a hotel advertises on their website that they have "high speed internet" and they don't, that is an issue.  If a hotel says it has air conditioning and the air conditioners don't work, that's bad...same with the high speed internet.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I've yet to get a decent WiFi connection at any hotel, regardless of brand.  The computers in the CL or business center are always a better choice.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I got about 70 megabits in the Towneplace Suites in Gonzales, LA and over 60 megabits at the Marriott West India Quay in London.  30 Megabits at Marriott London County Hall.  They are starting to pick up...

Spent over a half hour with the Marriott "help desk" for my stay in Washington Dulles for low connectivity. Finally fixed when the hotel actually brought staff over to reset the router. That was the "enhanced" connection. Thankfully it went to 14mbps after all was said and done. Just painful that you have to lose over a half hour of time with the help desk.

IMG_5912.PNG

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...