7 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2016 6:57 AM by bejacob RSS

Credit Card

richiemac Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

While the annual free night for having the Marriott card is nice, they need to increase the category accordingly. If you look at any Courtyard in a major city like Chicago, SFor NY, they are a category 7 or above. How can you use this certificate for pleasure if you're required to stay 20 miles away from a downtown area. If you're going to continually increase the categories of these hotels, why not "reward" your loyal members by increasing the award criteria similarly ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Credit Card
    nmballoonist Platinum

I can usually use the certificates during my travels, but it would be nice if we could use some points to upgrade to a higher category.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

coupons Gold

I also agree that there is a need to raise the category level of the free nite certificate; that's it

hassmh Gold

It's been debated seemingly every month on here, and I personally doubt it will be raised anytime soon unless perhaps with the Starwood merger they add a Cat 10 then maybe we'll see the cert bumped to Cat 1-6, but mostly the same properties will be available due to the redemption curve.

As for making the most of what you do get, it does depend very much on personal preferences. Personally, I'd much prefer to stay away from major downtown areas unless there is a specific event/attraction that makes it convenient. The vast majority of the country is well outside major downtown areas and there is a lot to see and enjoy out there, and many Cat 1-5 options to use the cert in those places. If you really want to use it, try exploring the list of what's available, you might be surprised where you can go in the lower Cat levels: https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category1.hotels.Category2.Category3.Category4.Category5/

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

it may have to do with what if any Chase refunds to Marriott out of the annual fee since there is a reimbursement to the hotel for the free night usage. I would of course like to see it increase as well but there maybe a financial issue we are not aware of.

mustanggt Platinum

Hopefully with the Starwood merger there will be an increased number of category 1-5 properties to explore.

hassmh Gold

Assuming they merge everything into the current scheme, then certainly an increase in number, but probably not a significant change in percentage of total properties.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Don't expect any changes on the category of the annual certificate. While it's true major cities don't have any locations where the cert is useful, there are a great many properties available. Here's a list from earlier this year which just covers full service properties in the U.S.

Re: Where can I use my category 1-5 certificate in the USA?

If you add in all the CYs, FFIs, SHS, and RIs, there are even more. There is no question that the big cities are out. Sadly, that's just the way it is. Raising the category of the certificates up to 6 will just move all those big city properties to 7 and beyond (if they aren't already there).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...