26 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2016 2:00 PM by abobastico RSS

When u dont find a Marriott, what do u do?

alammari Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

What do you do when the place you're traveling to does not have a Marriott? what is your second option for hotels?

When I traveled to Athens almost 2 years ago I stayed 7 nights in 3 different hotels and none of them Marriott coz I didn't find any.

Now I am considering Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Fiji or Bora Bora, I am planning to visit them all one day but one at a time, strangely I cant find a Marriott in any one of them! as I am a Hilton Honor Gold member my 2nd option is Hilton and in each one of those beach destinations I have just mentioned a Hilton is available.

There are many cities, big ones sometimes where I assume I will find a Marriott and don't.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
fiji maldives bora bora mauritius
  • Re: When u dont find a Marriott, what do u do?
    nmballoonist Platinum

Usually just stay at one of the other majors like Hilton, Hyatt, or IHG if I am booking myself.  However had a friend who is a travel agent book us for an independent driving tour in southern Ireland a few years ago and did not stay at any "international chain" properties.  She found a number of independent or national chain properties that were wonderful.  So you might do some research and come up with a real gem that you might have missed.  The best was Hayfield Manor in Cork.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Hilton is our 2nd choice.

Jsucool76 Gold

For me it's hilton, and then either SPG or hyatt.

Hilton is 2nd, since I have gold status, and their gold status actually gives you some benefits. SPG gold status is a bit of a joke (in my opinion). Hyatt I have platinum status from, and again ,it's a bit of a joke.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

For those types of destinations, I would look for a Four Seasons or similar property. However, you might want to check and see if Starwood has locations at any of these places. I believe they do-and soon to be Marriott!

boomer Platinum

My second is Hilton followed by Sheraton.  If dealing with the unfamiliar (and even when dealing with the mega chains) I check out Trip Advisor for reviews ahead of time.

curiousone Platinum

I selected Hilton as second choice a few years ago when I could not find Marriott in rural AZ or NM on biz trips. Got the Citi Hilton Reserve Visa since it gave Gold status. Earlier this year I did the Hilton status match and got Diamond until 2017 because I was Plat with Marriott. Hilton Diamond seems to provide as much benefit at Marriott Plat: not much.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

It depends on the kind of trip that I'm planning.  I sometimes will go for a Holiday Inn Express or a Hilton Garden Inn.  Other times I stay at independent hotels that are unaffiliated.  I don't travel enough to get any sort of status with a second chain, so there is no benefit to choosing a second chain. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Marriott has about 60 hotels around the UK and the coverage is pretty good, so I can usually find one nearby, but not always. There are gaps in Central and North Wales, the North West and East Midlands. Also Marriotts London pricing can be beyond my clients budget. When this happens I turn to my secondary chain, IHG which has approx 300 hotels scattered around the country. IHGs Reward scheme is also very strong, not for benefits which are parsimonious, no free breakfasts, no free lounge access, but for points, which are outstandingly generous. Carrying the excellent high earning (for UK) IHG card it is possible to maintain top tier Spire for around 20 paid nights costing a total of about $2,500 and making around 230,000 points pa with promos. Those points redeem for around $2,200! Alas, with few in stay benefits and fewer upper scale places to stay for leisure its best for business stays, using the copious points for family leisure. I virtually never pay for family leisure stays at IHG, my points pile takes care of it! That makes it an excellent secondary program...

alammari Platinum

Clearly most of us here have Hilton as our second option, I agree with some, Hilton has a night standard for redemptions it's  ridiculou, but at least they you have many options to transfer points from credit cards such as Amex,Citibank and their own Hilton credit cards whereas Marriott your only option is Marriott rewards Visa which is only available in 2 countries only! I would have loved to apply for one.

few months back Citibank had an offer to transform points for 1=4 Which is double the normal 1=2, so converted 105  miles to Hilton.

if I booked SPG hotels when I can't find Marriott, can I merge accounyes when the merge between Marriott and SPG happen? I hope so.

fistuk Platinum

Hi alammari,

This issue has already been discussed thoroughly in the past - you should look here.

Too right there, fistuk, but other favoured hotel groups are a scab we all love to have a pick at, and multiple threads allow us to pick away so more often

droma Platinum

New strategy for me is now to try to find a Starwood property if no Marriott is available.  Hopefully, when the points and nights combine it will be a nice boost towards lifetime status.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Mainly use Hilton as I've got Gold status in the Honors program courtesy of AMEX.  But then again it will depend as when we head down to Key West later this year, neither Marriott nor Hilton as we will return to a B&B that we have stayed at before and love the place.

Yes, like you, I've a few places where I have a preferred independent, in the UK from my regular travels, that's Lincoln and Chesterfield. It offends my sensibilities to forego the points but I really love those properties, and so when work takes me there, I bite the non-pointearning bullet.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

That's one hell of a new photo brightlybob!

Where do you go in Lincoln?

The Bailhouse, a beautiful little B&B on the Bailgate, a minutes walk to both the castle and Cathederal... Wouldn't stay anywhere else!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Oh the irony!!!!!!  In your line of work staying in a B&B with a name like that is priceless.

I have googled it.  It looks amazing.  One to go on my list.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Hilton simply because they keep me at Gold even though I rarely stay there. The only city I can think of where I ran into that problem is Perth.

superchief1 Platinum

Since I am now lifetime platinum with Marriott and Gold with Hilton and Starwood (Amex card), Marriott properties aren't always my first choice. If hotel costs meet our corporate guidelines, here are my selection rankings:

FS Marriott or Renaissance almost always first choice, Westin over Hilton FS

Hilton Garden Inn over Springhill Suite or Newer FFI over Courtyard (only consider a few Courtyards ever)

Homewood Suite vs Residence Inn: Depends on property, lately prefer Homewood Suite due to downgrade of RI food

Never Aloft

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

alammari, SPG has properties in all those locations, and presumably when MR and SPG merge, your points and status will somehow all end up in the same account.  So I'd suggest getting the SPG Amex and use SPG properties.  That's what we're doing on a South Pacific trip where MR has no properties.  My backup if there are no Marriott or SPG properties is Hilton because I have a status match to Diamond with HHonors. 

alammari Platinum

you are right clebert! all of them have a hotel or hotels in the location I have mentioned. Good news for me.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

alammari, I only knew that because we've been thinking about all the destinations you mentioned and have been checking out hotels, flights, etc.! 

greattraveltime Platinum

Hilton (due to Diamond status) but I have stayed at some amazing Four Seasons properties. My favorite independent property is Adobe Grand Villas in Sedona.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

It has been awhile since I have stayed at a non Marriott property....

abobastico Silver

I also take the closest one to the place I will visit/work.

It can be any. Four seasons are good.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...