11 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2016 11:21 AM by jerryl RSS

NIghts payed by Company doesn't count for personal rewards points ?

eliodamore Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Dear Community,

I spent 6 nights in Marriott Marina del Rey Hotel (Los Angeles) in April 16 and the bill was directly payed by my company, so I did the checkout getting a paper with 0 USD bill, which I haven't kept.

I've provided my Marriott Rewards card details to the booking agency and I had the reservation even on my mobile by using the Marriott App, but after a month I discovered that the points were not accredited, so I called the Service Desk:

With big surprise they told me that when the stay is not payed with my personal credit card, points are not assigned ???

Please can you share your experience ? Is it correct that Marriott Hotels do not assign points to the customer which is staying at the hotel if the bill is not directly payed with a card owned by him/her ?

Thanks in advance for your contribution to this discussion, of course the result might change my choose for the future as other hotel chains always assign points to who stayed regardless of who payed and my company prefer to pay directly to simplify the Expenses reimbursement process.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: NIghts payed by Company doesn't count for personal rewards points ?
    fistuk Platinum

HI eliodamore,

No, this is not correct:

The card being used for payment has nothing to do with your eligibility to get points & night credit! It really doesn't matter who pays for your stay, but what counts is: were your details on that booking when you checked out?

If your rewards number was updated on your booking prior to checking out and the name on the booking was yours and not your company's, than you should have got the points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

It depends....my understanding is a Direct Bill vs a Master Bill is the difference. If you were there for a conference of sorts and there was a master bill that the company negotiated and paid for, you may not be entitled to the credit.

I had a Direct Bill situation in Malaysia that the hotel miscoded as a Master Bill....I had to work with Customer Service to get the credit, nights and points.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

eliodamore, I agree with painedplatinum that "it depends."  Many of my hotel stays are on a "master bill" situation where the conference rate is negotiated by and paid for the business sponsoring the conference, and in those cases I don't pay my own bill, nor do I get MR points even though my MR number is tied to the reservation.  I do get all my platinum benefits, though, and MR points for items billed to the room that aren't covered under the master bill (if the property is one that awards MR points on that basis).  This is true of all the major chains that I've stayed at under this master bill type arrangement, and that includes Hilton, Hyatt, Loews, and iPrefer.

Also, I sometimes book a colleague on my reservation (that is, I book 2 rooms under my MR account) for a conference I attend every year at the World Center in Orlando.  When I've done this, MR will give my colleague all my platinum benefits and the MR points and elite night credits show up on my account, unless my colleague specifically asks MR to change to his/her MR number.  I think this might be done differently at different properties, as I did a similar arrangement at Metro Center Marriott in DC and was not awarded points or nights credits for my client's room.

eliodamore Silver

HI had the booking in my RM account and I was the only Guest for my conference in Santa Monica that stayed at Marriott (actually the only reason why I prefered to book at the Marriott instead of the suggested hotel was to collect my points).

So Im pretty sure that I was not under "master bill" case.

Furthermore, after a couple of weeks I stayed at IHG and again my company payed my stay, but I got my points without any issue.

What would you suggest to do, give up and stop using Marriott when my company pay my stay?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

eliodamore, have you tried submitting the "missed stay" form and asking that your account be credited?  Or call MR directly?  A lot of times, if you book through a third party (i.e. Expedia or Orbitz, etc.) MR will not credit you with elite nights or points.  I don't think there is any way around that rule with MR, so maybe IHS has a different rule about that.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Still think you need to actually pay a bill to get credit.i have stayed with a company i was on their board and first time they payed the bill and i got no credit next time on check in a ask to have the cost billed on my credit card which the hotel did and i got full credit

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

You are right on here. I never have gotten points when a third party has paid direct-even if my company was the third party. I avoid that at all costs. Furthermore, the OP's company could have used a third party themselves for the booking.

boomer Platinum

I concur with the other posters.  Several times a year I stay at a RC as part of a company event where my charges are on the Master.  I get my PP benefits (limited at a RC) but do not earn points.  I have been tempted to put on my card and get reimbursed as I normally do but the event expense hits a separate overhead account where my expense report would hit my department's account.

eliodamore Silver

Thanks to everybody in this conversation,

Finally I got the points assigned to my account, thanks to the Community moderator Cara!

Here below is the message I got from her:

After looking into this further, I was able to find out that your stay was in fact eligible for credit.  As members have mentioned in your thread, there is a difference between Master Bill and Direct Bill.  Stays that are Master Billed are not eligible for account earnings where as Direct Billed stays are.

This stay has been added to your account and you will be able to see this listed within the next 15 minutes.  Again, apologies for the frustration this has caused.

Best,

Cara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...