9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2016 1:40 PM by john_thai RSS

Streaming on In Room TV?

boomer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I do not watch a lot of regular TV and instead will watch things on Netflix or Amazon Prime when I travel.  The issue is that I would rather watch on the TV rather than my iPad.  I had thought of two (2) possible ways of doing this but am not sure how either would work.  Any feedback?

Obtain a converter where I could connect my iPad to the TVs HDMI port and stream from the iPad.  Is this possible?

OR

Getting something like Roku or Google Play and connect to TV to stream video from internet.  Would this work?  Is there a chance that I coudl forget the device plugged into the TV?

Thoughts, suggestions?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Streaming on In Room TV?
    Jsucool76 Gold

Most TVs have ports open for you to use. Some hotels may have them wired to a separate spot (like ontop of the credenza on which the TV sits)

One possible solution to not forget any device you use for the TV it is to buy a male to female HDMI extension, so that the device isn't in the back of the TV, but sitting on the TV Stand/Credenza/Dresser, always visible to you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I have roku and chromecast but find them tedious to  use because they require to be connected to wifi but Marriott requires you to complete the connection using a web browser which they dont have. So when i do take them i usually tether them to my 4g LTE hotspot from my phone. Most tvs do have HDMI ports to plug your stuff into so getting a cable would probably be the best option.

boomer Platinum

Thanks for the responses!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I bought a Roku Stick that I keep in my laptop bag for travel because like you I prefer to watch my shows on the larger screen.  The Roku Stick works great.  In addition to using streaming apps I can also cast anything from my android phone to it.  Initially I had the challenge of connecting the Roku to the Hotel Wifi and had to use a travel router to bridge the network so the Roku was able to connect.  But now Roku has updated their software to allow connections to Hotel or School networks and I no longer need the travel router.

You may find some hotels that have Pay Per View Systems have disabled the open HDMI ports of the tv.  There is an easy fix however.  If you unplug the phone cable attached to the tv or pay per view system it should work as described in this article:

Q: I'm trying to connect my laptop to the TV in my hotel room via HDMI, but the Input button on the TV doesn't work to switch signal. What can I do? | Systems Management content from Windows IT Pro

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I've got a little device similar to a Roku but it's brand X. Plug into the HDMI port on the TV. Screen share from my notepad. Works great.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

This past weekend eclektech and I stayed at the new Marriott Marquis in Washington DC and I had booked the "Netflix Package Rate" which turned out to be the same as the AAA rate.  The Netflix package included access to Netflix and a bottle of wine plus snacks or dessert.  We picked the dessert option and got an Oreo Cookie Cheesecake with a side of strawberries.

netflix2.jpg

In addition to having access to Netflix we had access to other streaming services like Hulu, You Tube, and Crackle. There was also an option to do screen mirroring from your own personal device.  I hope this rolls out to other Marriott hotels.

netflix.jpg

nationwide Platinum

vaboywnder This looks awesome!!!  Wine, dessert and a movie!  You gotta love it!

drlee999 Platinum

I carry a lightning to hdmi adapter (about $15 from amazon) and a spare hdmi cord. Then we stream netflix or amazon prime from the phone. Easy to connect phone to hotel wifi. Can also stream youtube and mirror your phone's pictures. Advantage is the phone is already signed into accounts, and ready to go. The adapter has the ability to use  your regular power cord, so you don't run the phone's battery down.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I do pretty much the same. My own HDMI device then I stream from a note pad. Don't have to depend on hotel service or anything else. If I've got wifi I've got streaming on the hotel TV.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...