6 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2016 7:50 PM by mustanggt RSS

Masters Golf Tournament

boomer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Last year I entered the annual drawing for the privilege to buy tickets for the Masters and actually won!  I bought the 2 allowed tickets ($100 each) for the Friday of the 2016 Masters.  I immediately went to Marriott.com to book a hotel and came up with a total of ZERO hotels anywhere close to Augusta, GA for points.  There was a FFI about 30 miles away for $569 a night!  No thanks!  It ended up coming down to staying in either Atlanta or Greenville, SC.  Knowing that it would be a Friday, I opted for Greenville as I figured it would be less traffic.  I stayed at the Greenville Marriott for 20k points a night.  A bargain for a nice property.

I rented a car on points from Hertz and booked RT air on points from Southwest and made it a Father's Day gift for my father (obviously not my mother Captain Obvious!).  The ride was on secondary roads and was about 2.5 hours each way but was well worth it.  It was a once in a lifetime (actually, hopefully not) event.  Augusta National is an amazing place.  Everyone from the event staff to the police to the security guards were extremely welcoming and nice. Saw some great golf on a beautiful golf course while eating $1.50 sandwiches and drinking $2.50 beer.

f you ever get the chance, even without any Marriotts nearby, do it!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Greenville, South Carolina, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Greenville Marriott
  • Re: Masters Golf Tournament
    nmballoonist Platinum

Excellent story!  Would like to be able to experience it some day.  The course looks beautiful on the TV coverage and I'm sure that it does not come near to doing it justice.  I had heard that Augusta is packed during the week so no hotels (at least at a reasonable rate) available.  Just curious why you selected Greenville instead of Atlanta or Columbia, SC and have I-20 for the drive?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

boomer Platinum

Thanks.  It was a great trip.  I avoided Atlanta for the traffic.  I did think of Columbia but ended up with Greenville due to flight schedules as GSP had the best flight choices for the points.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I am so jealous, but so happy to know that you had such a great time.  What a special gift to give to your Father.  I've been trying for several years and will continue to try to win the opportunity to buy tickets.  I'm excited that I actually "know" someone who won that opportunity.

AZDesertRat Platinum

@boomer - Great account of a wonderful father's day experience.  All golf fans who haven't gotten to the Masters are inspired.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You lucky dog you!!  I've heard nothing but excellent stuff out of Augusta National.  A friend I play golf with here actually has played the course as his college roommate is a member and he has also attended the tournament the last few years.  He says you cannot even come close to imagining the elevation changes let alone the beauty on TV, a must walk and visit.

Yep, I do hope to be able to one day walk those grounds even if only for a practice round.  Thank you for sharing your experience.

mustanggt Platinum

I obtained tickets through the lottery to a Monday practice round three years ago and that was well worth attending.  The players are more relaxed during the practice rounds and tend to spend more time "entertaining" the patrons.  As an example, when they reach the final par 3 on the back nine they always walk up to the edge of the pond and hit skip shots off the surface of the water onto the green...Always a crowd pleaser!  When we went, we spent several nights at the Ritz Reynolds Plantation.  This Ritz had the nicest CL I have ever experienced.  I hope to get back to Augusta someday and stay at the Ritz again for a little pampering.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...