80 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2016 8:02 PM by chris0311 RSS

4 pm check out guarantee for gold and platinum members

monisame Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Medford, New York, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Medford Long Island
  • Re: 4 pm check out guarantee for gold and platinum members
    bluemathgirl Platinum

In the last email it says it is guaranteed until 4 PM, so I'm not sure if you can always get it until 4. However, I think you can say you are guaranteed a late check out of some time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

monisame Platinum

On the movil app you have option now to require a late check out. This is new. Up to me is clear that you can request this benefit as late at 4 pm.  If you get it or not we will know. Let s try and see what we get.

rewired&happy Platinum

According to: Marriott Rewards Member Benefits Gold and Platinum Members are "Guaranteed Late Checkout" up to 4pm. But Silver Elite members have "Priority Late Checkout", which is really no guarantee, just a promise that IF they have enough available rooms to house the new incoming travelers, they will allow you to checkout late ...First, they  fulfill the GUARANTEEDl Gold and Platinum members late checkout requests, and then, if they still have rooms for the new incoming travelers, then they will fulfill the late checkout for Silvers...   In another words, Gold and Platinum are guaranteed, and Silver members are lower in the late checkout hierarchy!

Kingfish45 Silver

So far, I have not found a hotel that had any idea what I was talking about. However, I have not needed it or pushed the issue. Last week, I got a 1 P M check out and they acted like it was a big deal.

Platinum

Howabout just dropping this whole policy until they can figure out if it's even a policy? As I see it, those who stay at certain locations alot, have always had some leeway allowed regarding check-in and check-out times. People who stay a few times a year sometimes ask, but rarely get a checkout beyond 1pm (anecdotal evidence to be sure). In other words, NOT having this policy produces NEARLY the same results as having it, BUT, there's MUCH LESS potential to upset elite and other valued guests since nothing is being promised yet not delivered. Are the natives getting restless? Just look at wesleywc comments above. I believe his last tirade may have resulted in the return of Chicken Fries to Burger King (tm). but don't quote me on this.

Jsucool76 Gold

I do enjoy me some chicken fries.

At least burger King gives you the container that holds the dipping sauce. It doesn't say "you can ask for the container, and we'll do our best to get you one, but we might not. If we can't get it for you I'll just throw your chicken fries on the ground, and you can peck at them. Like a chicken."

Wait? what

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi Insiders!  You've all touched on different points of this member benefit, so we've gathered them up and created one post.  Reach out if you have any questions.   

Guaranteed Late checkout for Gold and Platinum Elite Members 

• Member can request a guaranteed late check-out, as late as 4:00 PM hotel time*
    • Member can request late check-out:
      • At time of booking
      • On the Marriott Mobile app during check-in process
      • At the front desk at check-in or anytime during the stay
    • Guaranteed late check-out is valid for the member’s room only

Guaranteed Late Check-out is available at all participating hotels including The Ritz-Carlton and is not available at Marriott Vacation Club.

*Late check-out is offered based on availability at Resort and Convention hotels.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Thanks carat for the clarification.  I have to say that since the implementation of this benefit, upon check-in, I have been offered a late check-out 100% of the time (6 properties), both in the U.S. and in Europe, including when doing mobile check-in.  Pretty nice!

This past weekend, on the last morning, I asked the front desk if we could possibly check out late, at noon.  She said of course, especially since noon is our check-out time!  We laughed.  Then she said I could check-out at 4pm, I said, no, noon is fine, and then she said, well, I'm putting you down for 2:30pm just in case, and handed me new cards.  It was like she insisted.   Great service, and with a smile!

Now, if only I will be able to score an early check-in in a few weeks (will also check-out early, so not to milk it), when I'll be arriving at a destination on a red-eye at 6am!  Boy, that too would be a perfect world.

vickisocal Platinum

What is the recommended course of action when the front desk is not familiar with the benefit and denies it?

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi vickisocal,

This is a benefit that is guaranteed. Individual hotels should be responsible for contacting a guest during their stay or after departure if they did not satisfy the guest’s needs. For hotels that are not familiar with the benefit, please let us know on this forum so we can connect with the hotel.

This benefit is guaranteed at all Marriott Rewards participating hotels, except at resort and convention hotels where it is based on availability. Marriott Vacation Club is excluded from this benefit.

Platinum

deannad   - Ritz Carlton Battery Park (in NYC just in case that's not obvious) said that "they do not participate in all aspects of Marriott Rewards" and flatly denied my request for 4pm checkout. Message me if you want dates and my MR #

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Just sent you a message dansplan!

Platinum

After a disappointing first email from a first tier manager, the situation has been addressed and fully resolved by the GM. Thank you deannad for getting the ball rolling. I'll be back at that property in October, and am confident that this "training" issue has been addressed.

sig05 Platinum

How can the Ritz Carlton be a guaranteed late checkout, since Ritz is a resort, and the late checkout is subject to availability?

monisame Platinum

No all The Ritz are resort properties. Beside that do Marriott elite members have the right to ask for any benefit there??? .

10yearsplatinum Gold

Carat states:

"Member can request a guaranteed late check-out, as late as 4:00 PM hotel time*" and "*Late check-out is offered based on availability at Resort and Convention hotels."

As with the original policy, this strongly implies that the guaranteed late check-out is NOT based on availability at non-resort, non-convention, non-Vacation Club hotels.  My experience, however, is quite different.  Instead, I have found many propertied utterly unaware of the new policy, been flatly denied late check-out due to lack of availability (Residence Inn Chicago Lombard), had to argue the policy to get later than 12:30 PM (Courtyard Battle Creek, MI), and been told by the social media team that a property allowing me to stay even one minute past check-out time technically fulfills the "guaranteed late check-out" benefit.

Additionally, because requesting the late check-out during booking or via the mobile app merely inserts another code on the reservation, most properties are incredibly likely to miss the request.  (As an RI Chi/Lombard staffer told me, "there's no way we can look up every code for every guest we get on a daily basis.")

So, as others have said, this "new" policy is just clever marketing on Marriott's behalf.  It really amounts to nothing an elite customer couldn't get if asking nicely anyway.

That said, other properties (Residence Inn Las Vegas South, Courtyard Knoxville Airport Alcoa) have happily offered 4 PM check-out, which has proved incredibly helpful when I've had a late afternoon flight or had to pull an all-nighter.

Platinum

The answer is an emphatic "NO" - that's why they word it "as late as 4:00pm" which could actually mean NO LATE CHECKOUT at all - i.e. 12pm or whatever the normal checkout time is. I'll say it again - this is a non-policy, and has the potential to continue to alienate not only old time elites, but new ones as well. Epic Fail Marriott!

Platinum

Fine print from item #2 under "General Membership" from this link explains how the dealer may cut the cards, or even redefine the game to fit the "house" in this particular game

Rewards Terms and Conditions

Participation in the Rewards Program is subject to the Program Rules, rules, regulations, policies and procedures that the Company may, in its discretion, adopt from time to time. The Company may amend the Program Rules at any time without notice. The Company has the sole discretion to interpret and apply the Program Rules.

monisame Platinum

Ok that goes to the Company itself. But what about properties, they must respect the program rules ant its benefit. There is no way that we can think that hotels can also have their sole discrtion to interpret the Rules.

Platinum

ok, so find a pro-bono lawyer who can interpret what "The Company" means - I'm sure there could be a few on here

monisame Platinum

Well I am a Lawyer and my interpretation was wirtten.It will be great to have anothers voices here

702rugbyref Platinum

On my recent stay at JW in Shanghai...clearly stated IF AVAILABLE and not guaranteed

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Tried the 4pm checkout first time this week. Clerk told me no late checkout available. I told her I was a plat. She said, OK you get 4pm. Very easy.

nationwide Platinum

I needed a late checkout last week at the Atlanta Northwest, but didn't realize it until the day before departure.  I asked at the front-desk and she said the latest she could do was 1:00 PM.  I shared with her that I really needed it, and hoped she could extend this courtesy my way with the rule change.  She needed to run it by her manager, so I asked her to call me in the room with a response.  20 minutes later, the desk called, I had my 4:00 checkout time.  It was a little more discussion that I would have liked, but worked out well in the end.  I am grateful for the flex this late(r) checkout benefit offered my family. 

lugan Gold

Recently stayed at the Residence Inn - Silicon Valley I.  I had been staying there regularly during the week for 6 weeks for business, and on my last stay there, requested late checkout at 6:45 A.M., the morning of the Tuesday of my departure.  My business was coming to an end, but I was going to catch a plane that evening, and had medication which requires refrigeration.

I was told that they weren't giving late checkout to anyone, and the latest that they could grant me was 12:30.  I reminded them of my status and was told that the best that they could do was 1 P.M.  I had to depart for my meetings, so I left my phone number with the front desk, knowing that my cell coverage would likely not permit me to actually field the call from the manager, who was not scheduled to arrive until 10:00 A.M.  I also gathered my belongings, as I knew that I would be unable to return to the hotel until at least 2 P.M. to gather them.  Sure enough, I received a voice mail indicating that 1 P.M. was the best that they could do.

After arriving at my destination and finding my travel icepacks fully melted, I discarded my now-warm medication, and set about to contact Marriott Customer Care via the website to inform them of my inconvenience, and requesting that they better inform their properties to rectify the situation in the future, as I was depending on the guaranteed benefit.

I received a reply a couple of days later with the following response:

One of our new enhancements to the Marriott Rewards program included guaranteed late check-out for Gold and Platinum Elite members. Gold and Platinum Elite members may ask to check-out as late as 4:00 pm hotel time. While late check-out is guaranteed, the late check-out time is request only, and is based on hotel availability.

I read this to mean that either customer care is ill-informed, or any late check-out (including the 12:30 PM I was originally offered) in their minds satisfies their policy.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Marriotts recent clarifications on this issue have been somewhat contradictory but I think we've hammered down the late checkout benefit to be one of the following

1. If prior to the day of checkout you request a late checkout time of up to 4pm you are guaranteed to get the time you request. This is akin to SPGs scheme which Marriott clearly wants to ape, alas we know that whilst we wish that was the benefit, it isn't. OR

2. If prior to the day of checkout you request a late checkout, you are guaranteed to be offered a time later than the standard checkout time and perhaps as late as 4pm. Here the guarantee is that some form of late checkout will be offered. The 30 mins offered to you, after the initial refusal, would satisfy that rule. OR

3. If prior to the day of checkout you request a late checkout you may be offered a late checkout and once that late checkout is offered it is guaranteed not to change. Effectively the only guaranteed bit of this is that you could on checkin know GUARANTEED what your checkout time will be, although it may not be any later than the standard.

Bearing in mind that the guarantee is "subject to availability" I personally think that number 3 accurately reflects what the "guarantee" means. Experiences on this thread and others both here and on Flyertalk bear out that whilst many are being offered 4pm on checkin which is a clear and visible benefit, many, like you, aren't being offered anything, hence option 3 is certainly whats happening on the ground at the hotels, whether by ignorance or design, whether its what Marriott intends or not...

monisame Platinum

702rugbyref Platinum

I was offered a late check out by the Ritz in Shanghai but unfortunately could not take advantage of it.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'll be giving this a go next week. Plan to request a 2pm check out (don't need 4pm since that's about the time my flight leaves). Probably don't even need 2pm, but that gives me a bit of wiggle room. It's always preferable to go straight from the hotel to the airport than to have to rearrange stuff en route. I've certainly had to do that any number of times.

naomi90210 Gold

This benefit is NOT followed across the board.  I checked out of the Courtyard West Des Moines yesterday.  I requested 4pm check out on the app at mobile check-in, with the front desk at check in and yesterday in the morning I called to confirm what time I would be leaving.  I was told I had to leave by 1pm, even as a gold member by the front desk operator Johnetta. When I pushed the issue I was told I could stay until 2pm, then she hung up on me when I told her I should be allowed to stay until 4pm per the gold benefit and my requests earlier.

This benefit needs to be clarified.  I had a very long drive ahead of me and would have chosen another chain for this night if I had known I would not have been able to stay late before driving 6 hours.

Checked into Marriott Montreal Chateau Champlain yesterday and was asked at checking in whether I required a 4pm checkout. Now as it happened I'm catching a 12:30 train that day but it was nice it was offered on checkin. Spirit of the benefit certainly being followed here

letsgotoo Platinum

On a stay at the new Courtyard Gatlinburg, I did the online checkin and requested the late checkout. I was given a message to check with the front desk when I arrived.

I arrived around 2 AM, after an 8 hour drive, and asked for the 4 PM checkout. I was told that because of occupancy, I could only have 1 PM. The desk clerk commented that Platinums get as late as 1 PM.

A quick check on the website showed all types of rooms available for the next evening, so the hotel wasn't booked up for the next night.

This "benefit" isn't worth much if we can't count on it. Why roll it out if you can't deliver?

monisame Platinum

YOu Have called any elite numbers

naomi90210 Gold

Yes I called the elite number while I was checked into the DesMoines Courtyard and they said the language was ambiguous and they were "unsure" and if the hotel was telling me to leave by 2pm I had to leave.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

LetsGoToo

A suggestion:  the next time you get refused a late checkout by the desk personnel, ask to talk to the GM.  If he/she is not there, ask to speak to the Manager on Duty.  Be polite, but firm and you will get the late checkout.  Good luck in your travels.

Platinum

new policy: NO SOUP FOR YOU!nosoup.jpg

trevfour Platinum

We booked Friday July 15th for one night at Peterborough Marriott (UK). Checked in using the app, asking for a 2pm checkout. Front desk confirmed we had a 4pm checkout if we needed it. Also upgraded to a very nice room with an excellent view.

naomi90210 Gold

This could be a Courtyard issue.  I have had no issue at JW, AC or regular Marriott, it is offered even when not needed. Only at the Des Moines Courtyard and then again today at the Oakland Courtyard was told that there is no such thing as a 4pm late checkout.  1:30 is the latest or I will be charged for another night.  Waiting for a manager response.  Will post what that happens, just for those curious.

Another data point. Checked into the Delta Quebec for 2 nights last week and was advised on checkin that my room card had been authorised for a 4pm checkout. No request needed... Nice

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Just stayed at the Springhill Suites Harrisburg/Hershey. I had a room on Megabonus certs for the weekend. My wife did too-for the grandkids-certs also. She's silver. They gave me 4pm and offered to here as well. Very nice.

monisame Platinum

i have just  for a late check out at Reinassance Tuscany, Italy and then are telling me NO, Just 2 pm. .

Thanks for letting us know, monisame.  We'd like to look into this a little further and share this with the appropriate team. 

monisame Platinum

HI  carat sorry I díd not reply to you. Finally I spoke with a supervisor and she allows me to stay till 5 Pm. Her name is Antonia. She only asked to change my room for another.  but it was ok for me. I am in Medford, NY at a Farfield in Property. I requested a late check till 2 pm. They aré telling me that the GM does not allow any late check out. I Spoke with Customer care regarding this.

Location Brand Hotel
        Medford, New York, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Medford Long Island

Thanks for circling back, monisame!  Glad to hear you were able to have a later check out.  Feel free to let us know of any additional properties you run into.  We'd like to make sure all of our hotels are on the same page. 

monisame Platinum

Hi carat nice to hear to you. Regarding this issue I must tell you and the community the worst experience I ever had at a Marriott Property. On my way back to New York a  stayed two days at Farfield inn and Suites located in Medford, Ny. I did the check in and out using the mobile app. As you know the app allows you to request a late check out.  So I did and asked till 3 pm. The night before leaving the hotel I remembered then that I had requested a late check out. The boy at the front desk told me that nobady staying in the property are allowed to stay till noon. I insisted, and asked them to contact the GM,. he did it and come back to me that I had to leave the hotel by 12 pm. So I called customer service, after a being hold in the line for about 40 minutes I reached a Supervisor, Michelangelo was his name. He told me that he will take care of the issue and suggested me to leave the room with a don t disturb note and come back by the time I needed . This is no the end. I come back to the hotel by 2 pm. For my surprise when I reached the floor there was a handyman at the door of my room ordering a maid to enter in and remove all my belongins. I stoped him of course, and  inmediatelly call the GM who told me in a very rude way that I was allowed not by her to stay at the hotel till 2 pm but as five minutes have passed  so he had ordered the opening of the door to remove my staff and in threatening mode she told me that If dont leave the room in five minutes I would be forcibly evicted by the police.  I was furious at that moment and told her that I had had the right to stay almost till 4 pm. Her reply was "This is my hotel and here I gives the orders no matter what benefits elites member has." and threatened me again. Of course I left the property.  I really dont wan t to bother you carat but I think that you and the community have to know it. I am really annoyed.  Any suggestion?????

So sorry you had this experience monisame!!  I'd definitely like to look into this further for you as well as make sure the appropriate team is aware of this incident.  Would you mind sending me a direct message with the dates of your stay?  We'll reach out to our support team as well as the hotel's management.  Thanks in advance!

j&c Platinum

On a recent 1-night stay, we requested the 4pm late check-out at check-in. We were told that it should be no problem and to please confirm the next morning to be sure. (We were also told at our 6 pm check-in that the hotel was currently at 71% capacity.) The next morning after breakfast, we checked to find that our late check-out was granted. We ended up staying until 3, greatly appreciating the extra hour over and above our previous "best ever late check-out" at 2pm. C

Checked into the Cheshunt Marriott on Sunday for the one night, upgraded to a suite (nice!) and when I asked for 4pm checkout FD nodded and replied, "of course, sir"

No problems so far!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I checked in to The Lexington in NYC a week ago, with the mobile app, and requested the late check out for Sunday afternoon.  Since we were heading out for the day, taking advantage of that late checkout before heading home, I called down to make sure it was confirmed.  "Yes, sir, your 4:00pm checkout is confirmed".  And this was in a packed hotel.  Gave us an extra day in the city, without having to pay to store our bags and gave us a place to freshen up before our train and drive home.  Very nice benefit!!!

letsgotoo Platinum

After the last stay at the Courtyard Gatlinburg (posted above), someone from the Marriott team reached out to me and confirmed that I should've gotten the late checkout.

So, I went back to this hotel and had a four night stay. I did the mobile checkin and requested a late checkout.

Nothing was mentioned about a late checkout at check in. When I called down on the day of departure, I was told NO LATE CHECKOUT AT ALL! Not even an hour.

I guess this hotel either didn't get the message or doesn't care. Either way, they are 0 for 2 in living up to this new "guarantee".

10yearsplatinum Gold

I've learned to ALWAYS ask at check-in and, if denied, show them the policy on my phone. Then I ask them to explain what the policy means.  That's the only way I've gotten late check-out at properties that aren't already educated on the policy.

letsgotoo Platinum

I know what you say is true. However, I'm used to not having to fight for this when I stay at Starwood and Hyatt and I'm not interested in having to "fight" for this. I'll just stay at Starwood as long as I can or at Hyatt if things don't change.

monisame Platinum

I did the same.!!!! But it did not work at many Properties.  I am asking why we have to argue with those properties that are no educated on the policy.  ???? 

letsgotoo Platinum

Further update on this:

I completed one of those online surveys that they send when you check out. Here's what the hotel told me:

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for not being able to get a later check-out with your Platinum status. We do try our best to offer a late unfortunately with us being in a heavily visited tourist area it is sometimes not possible for us to offer the late check-out. As part of the program it does give the property the desecration to limit the late check-outs if due to heavy amount of checks-in. We do however try our best to accommodate our Platinum members request but if we extend a late check-out of 4:00 pm to all platinum and gold members we will be limited on rooms for incoming platinum and gold members requesting early check-ins.  We have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure we following proper procedures.

Basically, they are saying they'll offer late check outs at their discretion.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I am not surprised by this LetsGoToo.  When the 4pm check out was initiated, there were posts on threads on Insiders which raised the very points the hotel is saying.  Mainly that the late check out at busy times could impact on Golds and Platinums wanting to check in.  Sometimes the hotel is in a Catch 22 situation.

I am amused by the word "desecration" though.  I think they meant discretion!

10yearsplatinum Gold

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. ...

That sentence must be in the handbook. It is, word-for-word, exactly how CY Battle Creek management starts every reply to a complaint on third-party websites.

When I see that response, I want to reply, "Oh, don't worry. I was memorable.  In fact, I'll never forget how awful it was."

monisame Platinum

Correct.!!!! 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I have been offered not just a late check-out, but specifically a 4pm late check-out at every property that I have stayed at since this new policy was implemented this past spring (so, full disclosure, that's exactly 9 properties.)  Based on some of the comments on this thread, either I've been quite lucky, while others have not, or the other way around.

SInce I have been offered this new perk with a 100% hit rate, I cannot agree that it is a Marriott marketing gimmick, and believe me, I am sensitive to Marriott marketing gimmicks. I sure hope that any franchises in contempt will commence compliance, as well train their staff as to the correct application of this new benefit, and I hope the community managers will pass these reports of non-compliance along to the appropriate departments.

10yearsplatinum Gold

That's great, Pluto77.  I wish we could all say the same.

I have not been offered late check out at any of the seven qualifying* properties at which I've stayed since the guaranteed late checkout policy was introduced. I have, at most, requested the late checkout via mobile-app check-in. The mobile app advises to confirm with the front desk upon arrival.  When I've asked, none of the properties have noticed the late-checkout request on my reservation.  Most have replied to my in-person request with "Sure, how late would you like?"  My standard response to that has been "You tell me what you can offer." 

A few have known the new policy and seemed very happy to volunteer 4 PM checkout.  These included RI Las Vegas South and CY Knoxville Airport Alcoa. However, neither of those properties coded my keys properly for late check-out, which led to building/room access problems while trying to vacate the room.

CY Battle Creek, MI (at which I had a number of serious issues, and only was recently contacted by their management with an apology and compensation in the form of two nights' refund) only offered 30 or 45 minutes extra, which did not accommodate my particular need.  (I won't go into detail, but I had a critical logistical problem requiring a late checkout of 1 PM or later.)  Here, I accessed the policy on my phone, asked the front-desk manager to read the policy and explain it to me, and got a begrudging promise 4 PM checkout.  However, it turns out, she did NOT add that to my portfolio and, when I went to confirm on the night before departure, had to go through the whole thing again.  I should also not two other things about this stay. 1) It was during this stay that the social media team, via DM on Twitter, explained that even a 1-minute late check-out technically fulfilled the promise of guaranteed late checkout. 2) One of the responses recently communicated by property management is that the aforementioned front-desk manager (who had also, incidentally, told Marriot central CS that she'd offered points by way of apology for several issues but had not even offered a free market beverage!) was no longer employed by the property.

A couple of properties, including RI Orlando LBV and CY Dalton GA, have offered compromise times (e.g., 2 PM), and added "if you need later, then let us know and we'll do our best to accommodate."  However, these properties also failed to recode the keys properly (even when specifically asked to do so, the recoded keys did not work the first time) and, at the RI, ultimately property management had to let me back into my room to get my bags when the keys simply did not work after multiple recoding attempts.

I see that a number of people have expressed a desire to not have to argue to get this benefit, and I totally agree.  For me, it's a matter of arguing for it when it's a worth getting it, when the late checkout is closer to a need than a luxury.

*I also stayed at a Vacation Club, which is specifically excluded from the new policy.

gogamecox Gold

Like LetsGoToo, I got denied a late checkout at the Courtyard Marriott in Gatlinburg while I was there for a funeral (and the front desk was a