64 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2016 4:59 PM by iahflyr RSS

What Are Your Summer Travel Plans?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In the U.S., the Memorial Day holiday (the last Monday in May) typically kicks off the "unofficial" start of summer. Hard to believe but that is almost upon us. Kids are (or soon will be) out of school and family vacations and/or road-trips begin. So as we move into peak travel season, I have a two-part question for the Insider Community.

1) How is your progress on the travel plans you made last year?

Some of us may wish to look back at We're Into August With 2016 Just Around the Corner!  Any plans for 2016? to refresh our memories.

2) What travel plans do you have for the summer (and/or for the rest of 2016)?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Belgrade, Serbia
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center
Paris La Defense Cedex, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel
Rouen, France Autograph Collection Hotel de Bourgtheroulde, Autograph Collection
San Francisco, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco, California, USA Autograph Collection Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection
Oakland, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Oakland Downtown
Baltimore, Maryland, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Newport Coast, California, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Renaissance Hotels The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
London, United Kingdom Autograph Collection St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston
Monterey, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Monterey Marriott
Kohala Coast, Hawaii, USA Autograph Collection Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Atlanta, Georgia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Atlanta Marriott Perimeter Center
The Woodlands, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
Walnut Creek, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Walnut Creek Marriott
Tysons Corner, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Tysons Corner Marriott
Gaylord_Texan
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott New Orleans
Guanacaste, Costa Rica JW Marriott JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa
  • Re: What Are Your Summer Travel Plans?

Here's what I posted in November 2015 reflecting my initial plans from August with changes.

• Atlanta and on down to Panama City, FL crisscrossing FL(Naples to Jacksonville)  in January (booked)
    • New Orleans Savannah and Hilton head in late early February (booked)
    • Nashville, Memphis, and Jackson (MS) in either April or May
    • Cedar Rapids and on to Kansas City in either April or May (dependent on the line above)

Here's what I've done this year

Clearly more than I planned, though some of the original intent still came through.

As for the second part, here are my plans for the summer

• Wichita and western Kansas in June
    • Fort Myers in July
    • Stratford, Ontario for a weekend at the Shakespeare Festival in August (my first Delta stay - in Waterloo)
    • Houston for the Insider shindig in September

There could be more, but that's all that's planned. I haven't even looked beyond September yet, so by year-end, this list will likely grow.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

So, how did I do on my summer plans? Here's my comment from above with additions in italics.

As for the second part, here are my plans for the summer

• Wichita and western Kansas in June (Weekend in Wichita (and western Kansas))
      • Fort Myers in July
      • Day trip to Philadelphia to explore the historic part of town
      • Stratford, Ontario for a weekend at the Shakespeare Festival in August (my first Delta stay - in Waterloo)
      • Minnesota and Wisconsin in late August
      • Houston for the Insider shindig in September

Stuck to existing plans and added a couple. Also have a trip to Idaho planned for mid-October, but by then we'll be well into Fall.

AZDesertRat Platinum

For us, its the year of the Colorado tour.  Son's German parents-in-law have asked for a tour and will arrive in late July to drive with us from Phoenix to our cabin near Buena Vista, Colorado.  On the way we will see Mesa Verde, Durango, (Bar D Chuckwagon dinner; train to Silverton), Ouray, and maybe the Grand Canyon of the Gunnison.  When we're not fishing, we will take side trips from the cabin to Aspen (Independence Pass, Maroon Lake); the Great Sand Dunes National Park, Canon City to see the Royal Gorge, Colorado Springs (Garden of the Gods, etc.).  Probably an overnight trip to Colorado Springs and another to see Rocky Mountain National Park.

bejacob - As you well know it can get hard to find Marriotts "out in the sticks," so I have to plan carefully.  Durango has an RI, and Farmington has a CY and THS where we have stayed many times.  Even Alamosa now has a Fairfield Inn, but it's only 100 miles from the cabin, so it may not fit in.  The ski resort properties will help and of course Denver and Colorado Springs have plenty to choose from.  Nearness to Rocky Mountain Natl Park is important for a one-nighter trip to that area, including a drive up Mt. Evans to see some Rocky Mountain sheep.

I know Colorado quite well, but any Insider's recommendations and input will be appreciated as I plan this.  We gave them a tour of Arizona a few years ago and they can't wait for this one.

benbuck6 Silver

Mobile, AL - nephew going away party weekend. Leaving for military.

Starkville, MS - HS Basketball Camp

Vicksburg, MS - Miss Mississippi Pageant

Denver, CO - Vacation

Vegas - Vacation

Anaheim - Vacation

Flagstaff - Vacation

Those are this summer starting Memorial Day Weekend thru the summer. Wasn't on here last year but we planned and did the whole Disneyworld thing.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

We hope to do Half Moon Bay, San Francisco and Monterey this summer, though we have had to postpone it twice due to health problems.

We also want to do a big trip in the fall but haven't picked our destination, yet.  We are considering Europe, but not certain where.

We also plan on a trip with family to Rehoboth Beach, DE during the summer.

greekbecky Platinum

Love Half Moon Bay!  I used to ride my bike from Palo Alto to HMB and have such fond memories of the place.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

phctourist, I am anxiously awaiting your report if you make it to the RC Half Moon Bay.  That place is on my bucket list.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

What I/We have completed this year up till now:

• Both of us to Los Cabos, Baja, Mexico in January
    • Myself to Ft. Myers in January
    • Both of us to Seattle in March
    • Myself to Ft. Myers in May
    • Both of us to Puerto Vallarta in May

Now to bejacob and the questions.

1.  All our travel plans made last year are behind us 2016 is a relatively slow travel year.

2.  Remaining travel plans on the books and/or for the remainder of 2016 including individual Wife or myself some with Marriott stays other not:

• Wife business trip to the city to the north flying into DFW end of June is already booked
    • Both of us a trip to Oklahoma City to see Son and Daughter-In-Law (who just relocated there from The Woodlands a week ago) in the first part of July is planned
    • Both of us trip to Key West middle of August is already booked
    • Both of us trip to Ft. Myers this first trip end of September and will make one more later this year is planned
    • Both of us trip annual trip to the Oregon Coast middle of October is already booked
    • Both of us annual trip to see Sister and Brother-In-Law, Nephew and Family in El Paso early November is planned
    • Both of us weekend trip to Nawlins' middle of November is planned
    • Myself annual golf tournament Puerto Vallarta, Mexico is already booked
    • Both of us end of year trip to Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, or who knows where else being talked about

Nothing over the top or exotic spot to end the year.

Platinum 4 Reviews

Summer travel for me is still up in the air as I start a new assignment in early June that will take me into late fall+. So I'll post my known travel for the rest of the year.

May:.....*(Saturday) Mobile, AL (concurrent stay....at a IHG hotel).

* Home. For about a week and a half/two weeks (its travel to me as I haven't seen home since Dec 13th, 2015 and its a long road trip back)

June:....* Start new assignment (location withheld).

* Chicago if/when I win the Spartan Super Race contest

* Work related travel, Birmingham, AL, Anniston/Oxford, AL, and Columbia, SC (more schooling at the NAC).

July:......* Take a vacation somewhere/anywhere if allowed (not planned out yet).

August: Nada

Sept.....* TIPPLE

* Ann Arbor, MI (Penn State at Big Blue).

Oct:.....* Denton, TX (Marshall U at North Texas)

* London (Washington Redskins at Bengals)

Nov:....* Dallas, TX (Washington Redskins at Cowgirls)

Dec.....* Nada (hopefully home)

No real exotic travel (besides London) for me like the rest of you.....but that's the way it goes when the dog plans out my trips.

The dog must love football.

Platinum 4 Reviews

game day.jpg

That is the understatement of the century. I had to search the dogs archives to find this one.

Platinum 4 Reviews

PICT0402.JPG

The dog doesn't like to lose and takes it really hard.

Love your Dog...what a cool cat the puppy is just like yourself!!   And you are a Cowgirls type guy, yeah!!!

peymanagement Platinum

My summer plans are consumed with grandchildren. We are not planning on going away very far, probably

• Montreal/Quebec City (Practicing granddaughter's French)
    • Watkins Glen (Nascar)
    • Niagara Falls (Spending)
    • Brookline Michigan (Nascar)
    • Gravenhurst (fishing)

We have been to Orlando dozens of times but never universal, so I am tagging along with my son and granddaughter there in September. I may just have a few duff beers while they roller coaster. The tipple is the back weekend of that trip and I may just take a relaxing drive to Houston. It looks to be about 1100 km.

England in late October /early November is just in the discussion stage right now. And somewhere I need to make my semi-annual deposit in Las Vegas.

peymanagement please post pics and info re Quebec.  I've always wanted to go there.  Merci!

If you drive to Houston, you will have my admiration.  We drove to Niagara Falls a couple years ago, and it was half the distance you'd have to drive to Houston.  That was enough for me!  We did enjoy Niagara tho.  Stayed at the Fallsview Marriott and had the best view I've ever had in a hotel.

peymanagement Platinum

clebert, I was not driving to Houston from Canada, that is a long way, I was considering driving from Central Florida which looks manageable. I have never been through the coast states, I would love to hear from insiders if I am nuts. It may avoid my las vegas deposit on the coast.

Yes let me get some info for you on Quebec.

You're nuts.

Actually, Once you hit I-10 in northern Florida, it's a straight shot to Houston. You'd probably be on the road for most of two days if you don't stop to see anything. I've covered much of the eastern half of that route (up to NOLA or Baton Rouge if you choose I-12 which would be quicker).

peymanagement Platinum

lol bejacob  I value your opinion more than anyone, you are probably one that road travels more than most. google says 13 hours, I do the road trip from Toronto to Florida often, it is 26 hours. It honestly looks like some neat places on the way. I am good with flying too. They are leaving on Tuesday after Universal, so I figure I could be in northern florida before they are on their plane. that gives me four days to meander.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

There are some interesting cities along I-10.  You could easily fill up 4 days.  The NAS at Pensacola has a very interesting aviation museum; Mobile is an interesting southern city and Bellingrath Gardens (west of the city in Theodore) should still be pretty; the Mississippi Gulf Coast including Gulfport and Biloxi (not a pretty beach, but a quaint area which had to rebuild after Hurricane Katrina), New Orleans is always a great place to visit with lots of music, great food, the Mississippi River, the French Quarter, and interesting museums including the spectacular WWII Museum that is constantly adding new exhibits; Baton Rouge has an interesting political history and an interesting state capitol (current) and a beautiful past capitol building; Lafayette with its' Cajun roots including music, dancing and great food, and Lake Charles (that I don't know too much about). Then you get to Texas  It is still hot in September with an average high of 87 degrees F.  You would need to be very aware of weather conditions in the Gulf (hurricanes).  There are nice Marriott properties all along the way. 

If you see someone standing by the side of I-10 with a sign that says "TIPPLE OR BUST" it might be me.

13 hours sounds about right if you stick to the Interstates. Don't rush and try to do it all in one go. There's plenty to see along the way. You might opt for US98 to Mobile and US90 from there to Houston instead of I-10/I-12 if you don't mind taking your time. You'd get some decent views of the Gulf Coast in Florida and Mississippi. The Interstates are great for getting from one place to another, but you miss a lot of the character found along the US highway system. And if you ever get tired of having to slow down each time you come to a town/city, switching back to the Interstate is always an option.

greekbecky Platinum

Ever try that roadside BBQ place in St. Augustine?

peymanagement, FL to TX sounds much better.  We did Jacksonville to Houston once, and it was actually kind of a fun trip -  lots of fun stops along the Gulf on that route, and we did a pit stop in New Orleans. 

clebert  I've gotten a lot of recommendations on Quebec including numerous tips from peymanagement.  I'm sorry, but I don't know how to post links. You can probably use the search feature.  I'll be "listening" for more tips.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Starting off slowly, this year is building travel wise. Excluding weekends away in the UK, my travel looks like this:

April - Honeymoon 10 nights in Miami Beach

May - long weekend in Kotor, Motenegro

July - 2 week legal research and visiting in-laws in Canada

August - long weekend in Warsaw

September - 17 night USA Civil War, legal research and TIPPLE trip

October - Wife and daughter NYC 5-night trip... I'm there vicariously by paying the bills

We usually do 2 or 3 long weekends each year at EU destinations, wherever Ryanair or Easyjet flies us at £50-£100 return and an annual holiday for 2 or 3 weeks, so this is much heavier than normal.

greekbecky Platinum

Honeymoon?  You mean 2nd honeymoon right?  I thought you mentioned your wife keeps you in those colorful (your word 'loud') shirts, so apparently they're the answer to a long relationship!   Ask her if they make them for ladies as well, so I don't have to sit on MI site on Fridays, lol.  Anyways, congratulations either way on this special trip planned.  The other trips sound pretty interesting too...fun stuff.

Platinum 4 Reviews

bull run.jpg

The dog at the Battle of First Manassas OR First Battle of Bull Run depending on ones disposition. As a military history buff, the dog and I have been to most (not all) major Civil War battle sites as well as lessor known sites/museums.

greekbecky Platinum

Great photo!

Jan - New Year's Key West - The Reach Waldorf-Astoria (fantastic but it cost a fortune and Key West is packed with tourists over the holidays!) - DL

Jan - Orlando for meetings - MVCI Sabal Palms at World Center - AA

Feb - Ft. Worth overnight - DFW Marriott South - AA

Feb - visit second house in Florida - AA

Feb - Aruba - Marriott Surf Club - AA

Feb - Charlotte overnight - Renaissance Suites at CLT - AA

March - Orlando for meetings - Loews Portofino Bay - DL

March - visit second house in Florida - DL

March - Las Vegas for meetings - The Cosmopolitan - UA

April - visit second house in Florida - AA

April - Puerto Rico for meetings - El Conquistador Waldorf-Astoria - AA

May - Boston for meetings - Boston Marriott Copley Place - UA

June - Minneapolis for meetings - JW Mall of America - DL

June - more Minneapolis for personal trip - Marriott MSP Airport (using my cat 5 cert) - DL

June - one more Minneapolis overnight - TPS MSP Airport - UA

June - visit second house in Florida with kids - UA

June - Miami - TPS MIA airport - UA

August - back to Florida for more beach time before school starts - DL

Sept - Park City, UT for meetings - Marriott Park City - airline TBD, probably UA

Oct - Charleston, SC for meetings - Renaissance Charleston - airline TBD, probably DL

Nov - Phoenix for meetings - The Wigwam (not a Marriott) - airline TBD, probably UA

Considering June-July trip to Amsterdam for meetings, but not sure that one will materialize.  Will do on DL/KLM if I do it and will stay at Renaissance Amsterdam.

So July and Dec are open.  It's been years that I had an entire month without traveling, so we'll see how it goes.  Might go to company holiday party in Minneapolis in Dec. - usually stay at Hotel Minneapolis and fly DL.  I won't re-earn platinum with MR this year - might have to buy up to maintain status, or maybe ok dropping to gold.

Airline status so far:  15 legs on AA, 12 legs on UA, and 10 legs on DL.  Still have at least 3 trips to book.

Leisure trip plans for upcoming years:

2017 is Fiji-Australia - Sheraton or Westin in Fiji, Marriott Circular Quay in Sydney, Marriott Brisbane, and Port Douglas Sheraton in Queensland - flying Fiji Airways there and not sure how we're getting back.

2018 is Hong Kong - Either JW or RC - airline TBD.

2019 is England-France - haven't looked at hotels or airlines yet.

2017 Work Trips so Far:

Jan - Orlando - will stay on World Center probably in MVCI

March - Scottsdale - event is at the Phoenician which is an SPG property so maybe will stay there

Oct - Nashville - event is at the Omni and will likely stay at a Marriott property instead, but not that one where Erin Andrews was spied on

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

heading to our summer house in New Hampshire with a trip to Las Vegas in July

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Sun and sand travel to Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach.  7 days at Barony Beach Club, Hilton Head; 7 more at Myrtle Beach's Ocean Watch Villas; and back to Hilton Head at Marriott's Grande Ocean for another week on the beach.  Grandkids are packing as we speak.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Hmmm, among others,

• last month wrapped up with a brief stop in CA - Monterey - gorgeous
    • just back from Dayton, Ohio - home of the Wright Brothers and the extraordinary Air Force Museum
    • off soon to Serbia (although it won't surprise me if that one gets cancelled)
    • off to Brazil - how could I possibly miss the Zika anxiety?
      • alas - there and back before the Olympics - all work and no play...
    • a non-work "service" trip to the Dominican Republic - really looking forward to this one
    • a conference just outside of Rome - yeah, that's gonna be a rough one
    • a quick stop in Charlottesville, and maybe stops in Greensboro and Chapel Hill too...
      • ended up not making it to Greensboro OR Chapel Hill

- - -

• not one, but TWO weddings in Houston in the Fall - neither that aligns with TIPPLE, alas..
      • ooops, now down to one wedding in Houston...
    • Back to California - mostly LA this time
    • One night in Minneapolis
    • One night in Huntsville
    • New addition - looks like a couple of days in Mexico City
    • a long flight, and a short stay (first time) to Namibia
    • and before year's end, looks like it'll be back to Abu Dhabi
    • planning to finish the year in Phoenix at the JW Camelback Inn - aaaahhhhh

Location Brand Hotel
    Belgrade, Serbia

ssindc you better go to Chapel Hill and have drink at Four Corners Bar on Franklin Street!!!

Too late to reply now, but I'll say having lived in Florida and drove to  Texas some 38 years ago.....FLY!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Plans actually changed quite a bit since last year.

Original plans from Re: We're Into August With 2016 Just Around the Corner!  Any plans for 2016?

• Cabo San Lucas in Feb
      • Yep, and that one was a keeper for sure
    • Added Carlsbad 5000 in April.  Now a new family tradition.
    • No Europe 2016
      • Nope to that one, just returned from France
    • Denver in May (to hopefully include a visit to Coors Field)
      • Nope
    • DC also in May (still chasing that MC Historic Half)
      • Nope
    • Add San Francisco, AT&T Park - late June
    • Potential visit to Nationals Park if the timing is right
      • Yep.  Early August, plus added Camden Yards to the mix
    • Annual family gather at MVCI Newport Coast in August
      • Sacrosanct.
    • Aruba (and not my choice, but I'll "suffer" through it ) in Sept.
      • Nope, now Italy.  Florence, Barga, Cinque Terre, Lake Como, Venice, w/1 day in London
    • Added Houston to the Sept. itinerary (something's going on there in Sept., can't recall what... )
    • Added a 2nd trip to DC in Oct.
    • Hawaii (will be a low key affair) in Oct.
      • Another nope, though now am actually considering a KOA run in Nov. to reach MVP Gold with AS
    • San Francisco - Nov.
    • Monterey - Fall.  Not sure when yet, but inevitable.  Maybe will try the Big Sur Half again.
    • Usual family travel still applies, San Diego, Boise, now Las Vegas (formerly Tennessee).

It's reasonable to say that most of this update will hold.

Location Brand Hotel
    Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center
    Paris La Defense Cedex, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel
    Rouen, France Autograph Collection Hotel de Bourgtheroulde, Autograph Collection
    San Francisco, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts San Francisco Marriott Marquis
    San Francisco, California, USA Autograph Collection Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection
    Oakland, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Oakland Downtown
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
    Newport Coast, California, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
    Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Renaissance Hotels The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
    London, United Kingdom Autograph Collection St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
    Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston
    Monterey, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Monterey Marriott
    Kohala Coast, Hawaii, USA Autograph Collection Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
    doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

IM heading over to Arizona in a weeks time and staying at the Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell mountains the reviews on this property are great so looking forward to it only downside is there's no lounge

nationwide Platinum

Plans for this summer are still shaping up for me, but here's what I have so far:

• A week-long retreat with my team at the Waterway Woodlands Hotel (my home hotel)
    • A week in Atlanta on business and seeing family
    • A few days on business in Dallas at the Gaylord Texan
    • A few days in DC at Tysons Corner
    • A few days in Walnut Creek, CA on business
    • A few days in wine country to follow with my bride!

Should be a good couple of months!  Hope to run into some Insiders out there!

Location Brand Hotel
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Atlanta Marriott Perimeter Center
    The Woodlands, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
    Walnut Creek, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Walnut Creek Marriott
    Tysons Corner, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Tysons Corner Marriott
    Gaylord_Texan

nationwide, make sure you enjoy the Waterway and a few of the food joints I'm sure you know about if this is your "home hotel"!!!  

seatexan Platinum

You all have some awesome travel plans!

I only have 2 summer trips planned.

JW New Orleans and JW Guanacaste Costa Rica.

The JW in Nola got a face lift so I can't wait to see it.  They also got a Fogo De Chao (which didn't get good reviews) at the hotel.  hmmm

Later in the year of course the TIPPLE!!!  Which my mom, sister and father have decided to come to.... but we are also celebrating my mom's birthday that weekend (which I am sure is the only reason my father has decided to come). 

And later in the year.... I have never been to this game but I hear it is epic.

I don't know if any of you all have heard of The Bayou Classic.... Southern vs Grambling.  I didn't know of it until a few weeks ago.

I booked a room at the JW Marriott in New Orleans that weekend.

I don't think I will venture out but I hope I get a good view of Canal from my room.  If I can some how manage to convince some friends to go, then I will go see the Battle of the Bands, and Greek Show. 

Going to NY in April was the big trip of the year.  It will only be long weekends here and there now.   

Location Brand Hotel
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott New Orleans
    Guanacaste, Costa Rica JW Marriott JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa
      pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Costa Rica sounds fantastic!!

Hey, SeaTexan, I want a full report on the JW Guanacaste Costa Rica!!!!

seatexan Platinum

aye aye! I shall report back!

annew20 Gold

Just got back from Chicago & stayed at the wonderful new Residence Inn in the Downtown Loop area.  This hotel is in an historic building, one of the buildings left standing after the Great Chicago fire in 1871.  It was top notch & very classy.  Beautiful lounge area & free breakfast.  Great location.  We biked to the Shedd Aquarium & the Planetarium. & along the lake to the Navy Pier.  Went to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field.

Our next trip in the late summer may be to Las Vegas once the heat cools down.

patrish Platinum 5 Reviews

Istanbul the end of June then on to Budapest. Racking up some flyer miles at an insanely low price. I'll be able to take a ferry from Istanbul and put feet on another continent. I love Budapest and hope to see some places that I missed on my first journey there.  Also Cancun with my grand daughter the end of July.

babara11 Member

I was thinking to visit some tropical destination this summer but given that this ''Terrorist Situation'' is only going to emerge further I would rather stay away from plane.Alternatively, I was thinking to visit Budapest,too. There are really some cheap prices which should be used. Budapest is really one of the cities with great history which is worth visiting.

Do you have any more recommendations for Eastern Europe Region as i have heard that it should be the safest region regarding the actual situation?

Please exclude Belgrade because I was there 3 or 4 times. However this does not mean that Belgrade is bad. On the contrary, it is a beautiful city!

By the way: if anyone is visiting Belgrade, my recommendation is to go for classic serbian meal called ''Pljeskavica'' at this restaurant svi popusti

or you here you can see all of their traditional meal offers popustis

patrish Platinum 5 Reviews

Bucharest or Prague. Hotel prices are really low in Budapest  I love Budapest and all it's history. I really wanted to be there the second weekend of July for the Red Bull plane races on the Danube. My employer dictates as to when I can take summer vacay. Maybe next year. 

babara11 Member

Yep, I heard Budapest is cheap ...

What do you guys think of Krakow?

peymanagement Platinum

Krakow is a beautiful city. Poland was heavily hit by world war two, neither the Nazis or the Soviets cared much for Poland so many places were destroyed. Krakow is an exception. It is generally intact. There are lots of historic sites and modern history. I took tours when I was there, Auschwitz, the city, the salt mines. Rent a car and go down to Zakopane, and climb the mountain. I did not stay Marriot so no recommendation on hotels.

Absolutely agree with peymanagement - Krakow is sublime.

• Superb dining for very (very) reasonable prices;
            • the old city, the greenway around the old city, and the castle are terrific!!!!
            • Gotta LOVE hiking in the Zakopane!!!
            • And, yes, it's worth visiting Auschwitz.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

peymanagement,

Agree totally, and sure enjoy Poland, and Krakow is a special place!

Stayed at Senacki Hotel, (No Marriotts in area), and it was really a great value.  Walkable from the train station, (Came from Warsaw), and also near downtown shopping, churches, and tourist activities.  This town is one of great values!  Fine food, plenty of history, and renown "Polish Pride"!

Don't forget the "Open Air Market", off the town square, the insects trapped in the Baltic Amber, was especially interesting!  Enjoy!

babara11 Member

As I already mentioned in my previous post, I have visited Belgrade!

Fantastic city, people, weather and nightlife! One of the major pros are Belgrade's restaurants and fast food restaurants.

I've fullfilled my desire and have eaten pljeskavica at svi popusti

I will be writing full review of my trip soon but this is one of the best experiences in my life!

tommy123 Platinum

Stayed at Inner Harbor Baltimore early this year and visited Finger lakes this past July 4th weekend. Not too much vacation days left, but looking for some traveling during the Fall time frame.

greekbecky Platinum

Fingerlakes in central, NY?

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

My next end  of summer get away will be tipple

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Last Summer hurrah on Hilton Head Island.  Not a bad place to finish off the Summer Vacations.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Due to remaining issues as I recover feom lymphoma, my summer travel is being limited to a couple of trips to local beaches.  I do hope  to do some significant travel in the fall.  We are considering California, Italy and France and are still trying to come up with other options.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Plans have come and gone (unless you count September).

A week in Provence (Marriott), weekend in Lyon (Marriott) and a week in Paris (apartment) to kick off the summer, in celebration of our 30th anniversary.

Western Massachusetts (family) for a weekend, Boston (Marriott) for a weekend - both family events.

Bermuda (local hotel) for a few days - business.

Week in Toronto (Marriott) - business.

New York City (Marriott) for a long weekend - pleasure.

September will include a weekend of football and friends at Penn State (friends home) and timeshare in Newport RI (not Marriott).

a few late booking s see me heading out to Toronto Philly punta gorda and Clearwater in September summers not over yet for this guy    

doddsy69,

Just don't punt your Gorda when you get to Southwest Florida!!!  

Great little spot down there

Charlotte Harbor is nice, just prefer it a bit farther south such as my old stomping grounds of Ft. Myers Beach or Marco Island. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...