60 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2016 9:27 AM by renaissanceman1944 RSS

Checking in early

pilam76 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone have any thoughts as to checking in early via the app help to get a better room???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park
New York City, New York, USA
New York-Manhattan, New York, USA
Newark, New Jersey, USA
  • Re: Checking in early
    gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

I assume you have at least Gold or Platinum status already. Shouldn't matter whether you check-in through the app or not. Unless the property has a better room available, you will most likely not get an upgrade if you need to check-in to your room immediately. From my experience, if they already booked you to a better room and it's not available for early check-in, you can just leave your luggage with them and come back later to check-in.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

cltwholesaler Platinum

I have tried both.  (usually forget/don't forget to check in via mobile app).  And i have noticed that it doesn't change the type of room if you check in early or late but it effects the locatioin of room in my opinion.  I have tried to check in via mobile when I can b/c i feel i get a better location.

bjones89 Platinum

I use the app to check in, but have found 0 benefit for doing so.  I still have to go to the counter to "check-in" and get my room key.  Still get asked about using the card on file, etc.  What good does the app do other than send a message that "your room is ready"?  My membership level is Platinum.....what is it that I'm missing or not understanding?

nmballoonist Platinum

Actually I find it speeds up the process. Typically the position for mobile checkin is open. I go up tell them I've checked in with the mobile app and give them my name. The key cards are ready and all they do is ask the last four digits of the CC to confirm the card on file, they hand me my keycards with a smile and thank me for my loyalty to Marriott and I'm off to my room. Typically only a minute if no one is ahead of me. Also nice to get the notification that my room is ready before I arrive at the hotel. Earliest notice I ever received was at 6 AM MDT time for a 3 PM EDT checkin while I was waiting for my flight to DCA.

as far as upgrades haven't noticed a difference either way.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I agree nmballoonist. I was in a hurry one evening and essentially grabbed my keys and went straight to my room, as I had checked in earlier with the mobile app. My time at the desk was probably less than 30 seconds. On top of that, I had already been upgraded to a suite.

I've found that being upgraded isn't affected by how I check in, so these days I almost always use mobile check in. If I haven't been upgraded already, I ask about it. Once or twice, I did get a new room assigned (suite) and new keys prepared. Other times I've been told that no suites are available.

There may not be a huge benefit from using the app, but it works for me, so I use it.

seatexan Platinum

Oh that is great info! Thank you!

Good stuff.

I've noticed recently that I'm being told more often at check-in that I've been upgraded. I like not having to ask. It does seem hotel staff are getting better at communicating this info. When they take that step, we feel that our status has been recognized and appreciated which is always a good way to start a stay.

monisame Platinum

Happy to hear that!!!

mustanggt Platinum

Well bejacob, you're living a charmed life.  As a Platinum Lifetime/Premier I have not received an upgrade in my last three Marriott stays, and at one hotel I even asked and was told nothing was available.  I also stayed at one SPG property recently (the Nines in Portland, OR) and got no upgrade there either.  With this stretch of luck, I had better stay away from Las Vegas!

It probably has more to do with the fact that my travels take me to less popular places with fewer Platinum guests. I got an upgrade in Marietta, OH recently. Also Twin Falls, ID and Harlingen, TX. I'd have to guess location is a factor. I'll let you know what happens in Atlanta next week.

TKlimited39 Member

I found it helpful. I was notified at 1pm this afternoon that my room was ready. When I got to the hotel today, I told them.I checked in through my mobile app. The representative asked me my name, and she gave me my room key. It was already prepared for me. She did not ask me for I'D, nor did she ask for my credit card. She just placed the key in my hand, and I was up to my room. So it took not even 10 seconds for everything to be completed. I think I'm going to use this app on a regular.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

IF I'm planning to arrive early I invariably use the app and it's always seen me fine, room ready on arrival. Likewise if I'm going to be very late I use it to reduce my checkin time. If I'm staying with colleagues or friends however I tend to call up the night before and rely on that...

monisame Platinum

The app works for that. But the problem is if you deserve to be upgraded. They do the effort to give you a room early , but any. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Most of the time if the upgrade room is not ready they will ask if you want to wait for it or get another room that is ready, so you make the call!!!

monisame Platinum

I will

monisame Platinum

Lucky you. !!! My experiences with the app were really terrific in a bad way. Having made the check in several times I always had to stop at the front desk, que  and  even show my id and my credit card.

Snail5930 Gold

My last stay was in JW Marriott London, checked in through the app one day in advance. Despite the early check-in they gave me a larger room.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

I Use it all the time but always ask if I've been upgraded  when grabbing the room keys on the occasions when the check in desk is crowded it's a total waste of time though

jbritt51 Platinum 1 Reviews

I have almost always been accommodated on an early check in when I use the app.  I love using it and receiving the notification that my room is ready. 

omegaet Platinum 8 Reviews

I find the app the easiest way to check in.  If for some reason (seldom the case) I don't like the room/suite available, I leave my bag with a bellman and find a place (usually the lounge), to check emails and maybe (probably) have something to sip until a suitable accommodation is available.

702rugbyref Platinum

One of the main reasons I switched and will continue to support MR is because often after a red-eye, I can check in right away and get some good sleep

ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree..Zero Benefit for checking in on mobile app..New to the mobile app is.. Now you are asked if you want a guaranteed late check out when you "check in"..Today the front desk argued with me that that is not a benefit until I printed out the new benefit of "Guaranteed late check out" which is "Based on Availability"..Whats the point? Its NOT a benefit..Marriott..Step up and educate your staff on benefits if your going to offer them and Dont call it "Guaranteed Late Check Out" if its NOT GUARANTEED..( I am staying at a Newark Airport property and they have never heard of it!)

Location Brand Hotel
    Newark, New Jersey, USA
      Platinum

So combination of improving IT (don't release features that are not tested), and training ALL staff, on company owned or franchise locations would go a long way towards keeping the loyalty of the type of members (mostly elites) who are reading and posting on this site. There's a reason MR is referred to as a loyalty program - only when people experience a consistent quality product, do they choose to remain loyal to a particular brand.

Once again, this post indicates a case of someone having to argue with a Marriott staff about a published policy. I can't tell you how many times I've been told I'm wrong, only to have the staff "research" the issue or read an email that I've sent them showing them in black and white what the policy of their own company clearly states. This is the definition of a training and management issue.

Nothing erodes loyalty faster, and consider how many have dropped a property or an entire brand without ever voicing an opinion here (lots!). There's a great line in a consulting book I read years ago: "People don't tell you when they stop trusting you."  Well some do, but truly most do not...they vote with their feet and wallets.

When's the last time you had to do this at an airline, car rental company, or even another large hotel chain?? (and yes, I'm inviting feedback so have it folks). I regularly deal with United, National Car Rental, Hertz, Avis, and on occasion All Nippon Airlines and Virgin America, as well as Hilton (current Diamond member). Late checkout is a COMMON request. Management should expect that any updated policy will affect a large number of guests, and therefore it is critical that staff understand EXACTLY what has changed. The fact that we have to argue or some might say "beg" for it, makes it worse than no guarantee at all (in my opinion, and I do welcome others that disagree).

Some members have indicated that they "just ask" and are almost always granted the request. Other's say their requests are rejected sometimes or often. It'd be like asking if a car wash would also dry your car, but sometimes they responded not only "no", but also claimed they had never heard of this being part of the "car wash product"...sending you home with a wet car now and then! Would you ever return to that car wash? Would you ask to see the manager so you could discuss it?  All of this somewhat-late-night analogy assumes there was a "yes, please dry my car" button to push on said car wash app or that the "dry when elite member gets a wash" policy was recently implemented. OK, sorry I missed the Tipple - this oughta make up for it!

...end of rant

pevers Platinum 2 Reviews

I haven't found the app to be useful for anything. Even if I use the app, I end up going through the regular check in process. I still need to show my ID and credit card. As for upgrades, I haven't noticed any difference.

I am also with the Hilton Honors program. Their app is much more useful. Not only does it actually check me in, but allows me to "see" the room. All I need to do is stop by the front desk and pick up the key card. The app uses the credit card which I used to hold the reservation. Much more user friendly.

pilam76 Platinum

Have to disagree with ppino69 & pevers - the app Is very useful for me, allows me to check / make / changes and when I check in via the app a lot of times when I get to hotel they have already upgraded me plus all I do is show my ID(which is a good thing for security purposes) and the room key is already make. They just verify the last 4 digits of my credit card, I never have to pull it out.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Also like the mobile app also to check out

TKlimited39 Member

How do you sign up for mobile app?

mustanggt Platinum

You can go to Marriottapp.mobile.com to download it, or on an Apple device go to the App Store to get it.  You should get it, it's free!

YogiB Platinum

I have had the app for some time, but I can't say "you should get it". It offers so little features compared to the full mobile website and it has had many times in the past troubles updating information.

Sometimes weeks behind on showing the correct number of elite nights/points and even after checking out at front desk, hours later the app still harasses me to check out with my smart phone.

I don't bother any more, I'll just open my mobile browser and go to the website.

TKlimited39 Member

Thank you! I did just that. So, I will see what the difference is lol.

YogiB Platinum

Call me old-fashioned, but I like to have that talk at the front desk upon checking in. Even Silver Elites regularly get upgraded, sometimes even when you request a specific room type.

However, my last time, at a Residence Inn, they said I was upgraded, but felt more downgraded: trying to sleep on the floor above the convention centre where they are hosting wedding parties until late at night. So how did they interpret my general profile with "high floor preference" as "let's just put him on the second floor"?

So I'll just pose some more questions at my next stays.

But back to the original question: I usually do try to arrive (physically) at the hotel early for check-in. Tuesday I'll be arriving at the Delta around lunch time.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I agree with you YogiB.  As I have said on other threads, I enjoy having a few words with a real person on check in.  I also believe that if those few words are friendly, and the people behind the desk react positively, I am treated more as a person too during my stay, because they have actually met me.  At least, it always seems that way to me!

nationwide Platinum

So, YogiB, how was check-in on Tuesday at the Delta?  Upgrade? 

YogiB Platinum

I'll go a bit deeper into it when I write a full review in my MRI blog (just posted my first one on the YUL airport Marriott), but to sum it up: front desk was very disappointing in stating that I'm only entitled to late check-out benefits as a Silver Elite. After stating I was upgraded almost every time this year, she offered my a suite upgrade, but only mentioned I had to pay 50$/night extra at the very end of the story.

I wanted to spoil my GF, so I accepted the surcharge. The room we received was downright insulting! They basically took a standard room and cramped a "living room" worth of furniture into it. On top of that, our view was on the roof of the indoor pool (read: ugly roof with standing water that can't evacuate). So I went back down to say that it was unacceptable. I had to point out my profile states a preference for high-floor rooms, so she has to do better to impress me. I'll leave out the details of my mini tour with the bell man, but we ended up with a standard room on the 17th floor, just across the presidential suite (so the view can't be much better ). We still had to pay 30$/night extra for access to the Club Lounge (Delta's version of the Concierge Lounge), which isn't the best one ever, but I accepted.

We've ran into ex-personnel of the Winnipeg Delta in other restaurants/bars and they've acknowledged that the Delta makes their staff squeeze every penny possible out of their clients. I'm thinking it's something imposed by Delta management (either local or national), since it must be going on since before Marriott purchased the chain.

nationwide Platinum

Ugh!  That sounds disappointing!  I'll look forward to reading the full-version in the blog...something I need to work on writing myself too.  Thanks for sharing your insights though.

iaskquestions Member

Do you think they would upgrade a Blue status guy to a suite if it was available?

YogiB Platinum

If by "blue" you mean "non-elite": I don't think hotels see any reason to upgrade non-elite members.

Platinum

Because they need to feel appreciated too?  Nahhhh...I agree

insertcoffee Platinum

Unlikely, but possible. Depends on a lot of factors.

But it takes the room out of upgrade action for someone who spends more than 75 nights a year in Marriotts, who arguably is much more deserving than a non-status person of the upgrade; it also removes the room and incidental spend for a paid stay by another guest.

Platinum

which is the entire point. If everyone is special, then...nobody is special

insertcoffee Platinum

Exactly.  And people who stay three nights a year are likely less important/valuable as a customer than they think they are...like people who fly eight domestic economy segments a year...

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Exactly insertcoffee.  I vary between Gold & Silver due to health issues which have curtailed my travel.  There are a couple of hotels in the UK which always treat me as a VIP, but that is because of my continued stays there.  They know I am very loyal to them, and why I can't stay as much as I used to.

But, when I am silver, I expect nothing extra from other hotels, as their focus should rightly be on the Golds & Platinums.

TKlimited39 Member

Yall are so mean.

insertcoffee Platinum

My apologies.  I got sidetracked by something down thread and never responded to your initial question, OP.

I don't use the app. But I hear from FD staff (who say when candid, it totally depends on the property and its staff) and colleagues that it can be hit or miss, and that they still do not have a 100% comfort with its reliability.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

The app lets you tell them when you're arriving, and you get a message when the room's ready.  So it's worth a try.  Otherwise, I just call the hotel and ask the front desk for an early check in.  The worst they can say is no.  Some hotels will let you in the CL to hang out while your room's being prepared.  Others actually have guaranteed early check in for a modest fee - I've not seen this a Marriott but have seen it at SPG, IHG and Hilton properties.

Roamingrambler Silver

I almost always use mobile check-in, as I may not arrive at my destination until close to midnight most times. Not sure if it gets me upgrades, but it makes the process quick and painless, which is what I need rolling in late and exhausted with bags.

chris0311 Platinum

I just finished up a stay at the Marriott Marquis in Doha, Qatar and something interesting happened. I checked in a day early with the mobile app. When I approached the lobby I noticed the Elite/Mobile check in counter was unmanned so I walked up to the regular counter. After I gave my passport to the front desk personnel he couldn't find my reservation. It was only after I gave him my rewards number was he able to pull it up. He apologized and walked over to the Elite/Mobile check in counter to get the room keys. So I guess everything is all processed in the system for you when you use the mobile app. Due to you already being "checked in" it may cause some confusion for the staff.

As a side note I was upgraded to a better room but not a suite. I find I have zero luck with getting suites unless I turn up the charm. I'll probably give the app one more shot and then simply take my chances at check in.

ledcamera Platinum

From my experience you have to be physically at the front desk to ask and get a better room

That has not been my experience. Most of the time, I notice that one day before arrival, my room type is upgraded on my reservation (i.e. from a king room to a deluxe king room or a king suite). The desk clerk confirms I've been upgraded when they hand over the room keys (already prepared and waiting for me when I use mobile check-in).

homoviator Platinum

you must be Marriott famous, bejacob and they know you are coming--which they likely do or if they don't they should. The only places that has happened to me (upgrade without asking) is at Fairfileds, and I tend to get the top suites, which is nice, but that's not really the upgrade I'm looking for. ;-). To be fair, I do get to hang out on the upper floors for the most part, though, which I appreciate.

I've got a long list of Ren stays coming up. Marriott, this is because bejacob talked me into moving up from Springhills to Rens, so throw that man a bunch of points because his recommendations have definitely added to your coffers.  I'm hoping that there will be an upgrade or two thrown in there since this is the time I travel with family and it's the only time I *really* want the upgrades. 

I feel like I get short changed when I do the app check in. At least I never seem to get upgraded. My only significant upgrades (suite not at a fairfield) was when I asked nicely at a JW Marriott. 

Location plays a big factor. Places less traveled and with fewer Platinums do tend to result in more frequent upgrades. It also helps that many of my stays are just one night. Good luck with your upcoming Renaissance stays.

Even when using the app, it's okay to ask at check-in about upgrades. Sometimes the desk folks will let you know up front. If not, ask if an upgrade is available. The answer may be "no" but at least they know you are familiar with the upgrade policy. I'm not sure there are any tricks, though staying on the weekend at a property that caters primarily to business travelers can make a difference.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

homoviator,

Have you not seen the poster of bejacob at random hotels across the Marriott brands?

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

This has been my experience as well bejacob , either see the upgrade when checking in using the app and have the key ready when I arrive...really enjoy checking in this way.

seatexan Platinum

For my stay this past weekend, I called the hotel a few days before to request a feather free room.  I also checked in on the app the day before.

I got an upgrade (higher floor, slightly bigger), feather free room, AND my room was ready.  The other people I was with had to wait until 4. They had a smaller room, and no closet (Autograph Collection in a very historic building).

I am not sure if it was me calling, or me using the app that got me upgraded. But from now on, I think I will call them to confirm my arrival with a feather free request .

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

So SeaTexan, did your travel mates hang out in your room til 4?

seatexan Platinum

I gave them one of my keys so they could keep their luggage in my room and freshen up.  They had plans to go to Harrah's.

I had plans to meet up with a friend so left them to make themselves as home before they headed off to the casino.  The front never did call them...I find hotels are terrible at calling to let people know rooms are ready.  So when they asked around 5ish, voila, their room was and had been ready.

Jsucool76 Gold

I'm at like a 99% success rate for early check in through mobile check in. I've checked in as early as 9AM at some hotels.

the 1% would be the essex house, where my room still isn't ready after 5pm somehow.

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

I use the mobile app all the time to check in but have to say that I am very disappointed with it compared to other hotel apps.  I never get a notice back that my room is ready and every time that I have requested additional services through the app, they have never been delivered on.  The only thing that it is good for is that the keys are ready when I show up.  I really feel if they want to promote the app and get members to use it, they should make sure that it does what it says it will do. 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I think it is hit-or-miss.  Some properties do let you know when the room is ready, and others don't.  I agree the app is not very useful. Have you used the RC app? That one allows you do do all sorts of things and is much more functional that Marriott's, although it, too, doesn't always work correctly.

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

ciebert...no, I have not used the RC app...I'll have to check it out and see how it works.  Thanks so much for the suggestion...I appreciate it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...