1 2 3 7 Previous Next 103 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2016 12:06 PM by vic&mila RSS

An Idea about Category 5 Certificates

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Over the past couple of years, there have been numerous posts on Insiders with the complaint that the Cat 5 certs are not easy to use.  Cat 5 certificates are often received either as an annual benefit for using the Marriott Chase Visa, or as part of a Mega bonus promotion.

Here's a suggestion:  Why not allow people to upgrade from a cat 5 for 5,000 points for each level of upgrade.  A cat 5 hotel costs 25,000 points per night.  A 6 is 30,000, a seven is 35,000, etc. up to 45,000 for a cat 9.  A lot of people would be much happier with these cat 5 certs if they could upgrade them in this way.  I rarely have a problem finding cat 5 hotels, but it does happen, occasionally.  Any thoughts on this, friends?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates
    Platinum

I'd love this, but I have serious doubts that Marriott will ever implement. More likely is if they devalue to many properties, they might bite the bullet and start giving out Cat 6 certs.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

The different categories are fixed by reference to Marriotts costs on our redemption activity. Cat1 hotels cost the least, Cat9 the most. The certs encourage redemption at those properties that don't carry their fair share of redemption activity. The IT could be easily put in place to allow upgrading but that then negates the purpose of the certs, namely to encourage lower category redemption activity. Don't expect any changes.

• 3. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I don't expect any changes that benefit us, in fact probably the opposite.  But I love your idea phctourist and wish we were offered options even though I have no problem using the Cat 5 certs.

• 4. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates
    stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Pchtourist: You have a great point here. Marriott lets me use points then pay cash for an upgrade (have don't this last several years at Christmas holiday time) so what';s the big deal about allowing 1-5 cert plus cash or points to upgrade to a higher cat hotel?

• 5. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates
    pilam76 Platinum

absolutely brilliant idea!!!!

• 6. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates
    renaissanceman1944 Platinum

I think that this is a great idea phctourist...I would be very interested in this if they ever offered it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• 7. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This has been suggested before and Marriott didn't bite.  Good idea but probably no chance.

• 8. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Never gonna happen.

• 9. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates

Sadly, I agree!

• 10. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates

It's a good idea. brightlybob has nailed it as to why it won't change, though.

• 11. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Why would Marriott do this? They are content with letting these certificates expire because it is so difficult to find category 5 or less hotels to book!!

• 12. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates

But it is not that difficult to find a cat 5 hotel.  Just don't look in a high priced city.  Smaller cities and highway stops offer many cat 4 and 5 options.

• 13. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates

I put together what I thought was a pretty good list of options.

Re: Where can I use my category 1-5 certificate in the USA?

• 14. Re: An Idea about Category 5 Certificates

Excellent point, Bob.  If the British, in 1776, had you advising them, you might have won, or avoided the war with the colonies and we might all be one country!

1 2 3 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...