15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2016 7:19 PM by homoviator RSS

Points for food and beverage at Marriott even if you aren't staying

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here's some news that has been hinted at for a while.

Marriott testing rewards program for food and beverage purchases

Though it's not something I do often, I've occasionally stopped into a Marriott property for a drink (most recently in NYC at the Marquis after seeing a show). Looks like those purchases could earn points in the future (other than the points earned for using the MR credit card to pay the tab).

So far the test market seems to be restricted to D.C. and environs. I'm not sure this would make me go out of my way to stop in to eat or drink at a Marriott location, but I'd certainly welcome the additional points for something I already do once in a while. I might even consider doing it a little more often.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Points for food and beverage at Marriott even if you aren't staying
    bushybushy Platinum

This sounds like a good incentive to pop in for a meal or drinks even if you're not staying at the particular establishment.

Everyone likes to collect points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jlbarone3 Platinum

The article says it lasts "until June 21." Which implies it's already started. Can a mod tell us how this works, exactly? I live/work near several of these properties so I'd be interested in trying this out. Where on the MR website do I enter my information, for example? It's ambiguous how to execute this policy. Thanks.

boomer Platinum

I can see it now, all of the members of this forum lining up at their beloved local CY Bistro for breakfast and dinner each day that they are at home!  lol

YogiB Platinum

Now if only my local Marriott hotels could come up with a bar I would actually would like going to.

Usually we go for cocktails at the Queen Elizabeth (Fairmont property), but they'll soon be closing completely for months of renovations.

Bonaventure is pretty cool too (and staff's general mood became so much better since they quit the Hilton chain) with their fabulous roof terrace.

The Intercontinental has a nice absinth bar.

But the Marriott Chateau Champlain has a claustrophobic and dark sportsbar with only **** on tap. And the new Courtyard just has too many people from nearby office buildings for happy hour.

There used to be an amazing Delta hotel with a panoramic bar/restaurant at the top, but they got kicked out in 2013 when the building changed owner, only for it to become a student flat.

But I should definitely try out the 'new' Delta.

engneer Gold

Interesting, I was thinking to go ride on the beach over the weekend. We usually stop for drinks and food, I will stop at a Marriott instead of a local bar.

j&c Platinum

We frequently eat at Sweet Lorraine's in the Detroit Livonia Marriott before and/or after a "barcalounger" movie at Phoenix Theaters or shopping at Laurel Park Mall - even when we're not staying in the hotel. Tasty, innovative menu! Of course, we always charge on our Marriott credit card but never considered asking if our meal/drink points could be connected to MR account. J&C

Jsucool76 Gold

I do remember reading a while back that some hotel staff (the extra patient and kind variety) will actually go through the process of creating a dummy folio for you, with only the F&B charges on it, so that you can receive your marriott rewards earning.

mustanggt Platinum

With all the problems a number of us have getting the proper number of points posted to our MR account for a prearranged hotel stay, imagine the problems there will be trying to collect points from a "dummy" folio.  It may not be worth the hassle!

Jsucool76 Gold

I can get a marriott burger at a property I'm not staying at, and still get points for it? Sounds good. haha.

ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

SPG already does this..It seems like they are trying to align the programs..along with the 4pm "Guaranteed" late checkout..I just hope they keep the Lifetime Platinum Elite status the same..Im almost there..I am wondering how they will approach the subject of Lifetime Platinum nights? At Marriott its 750 nights..at Starwood its only 500 nights...Marriott makes you stay an extra 250 nights to get the status..I hope the requirement is maintained going forward..Thats a lot to demand of your customers and should be recognized in the new program!

702rugbyref Platinum

I'm not likely to stop just to get points.

4therightcause Gold

TThis would be great as I live five minutes from the Ritz Carlton in Naples (beach) and eat there almost every week! I do have Ritz CC now so it gives me 5x points anyway but hey I will take more!

homoviator Platinum

Any update on this? It would be cool to find out we can get points at the bars and whatnot. I've stayed at a nearby non-marriott hotel that I was put up in. I went over to the marriott to have dinner. not a lot of points, but I'd do it more often if I knew I could get 10x points for sure.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...