8 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2016 1:05 PM by mustanggt RSS

Redeeming free night, but daughter using them

emmapat14 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Can I use my points to reserve and redeem a free nights stay, but then have my daughter be the one to check in and stay in the room instead of myself? I wanted to book a surprise night away for my daughter,but wanted to use my points to pay for the room. I will not be in the same state at check in. Will there be any issues for her to check in to the room herself with her ID and credit card??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Redeeming free night, but daughter using them
    tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

This is allowed and easy to do. Make the points reservation in your name via website or via phone. The call (or tell them if on phone) that your daughter will be using the reservation. They will add her name for check in. She won't have any problems on arrival.

As an aside, you are not allowed to make reservations for others via promo certificates such as megabonus or the Chase certs. The member has to be present for those stays. But, award stays via points are transferable.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

emmapat14 Member

Thank you! Yes it is just simply redeeming points for a free nights stay. I will make the reservation online tomorrow and then call. should I call Marriott customer service, or the specific hotel directly?

Call Marriott Reservations. I am always more comfortable with them notating those items more so than the property.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Although most Marriotts seem to allow a booking in one name with checking in by another it is strictly against the T&Cs. So if the hotel is overbooked and looking for a way out your booking could be vulnerable. There is one exception to this rule. Redeeming points! If you call (not website, call) you can ask the redemption be in the name of another person. The other persons name is then endorsed on the certificate instead of you. This can only be done at the time of booking, an e-cert can't be amended into the name of another. I've done this a few times, it's all good!

I am beng asked for ID at nearly every check in now-business and pleasure. I don't know how close they are looking at my DL or passport, but they want to see it. I wouldn't risk hoping someone can checkin under my name. They need to be on the reservation.

emmapat14 Member

I am just redeeming point for a nights stay. I think I will just call today and to the reservation and everything else over the phone. I was going to do the reservation online and then call, but it will probably be easier to do it all with a real person! I just want to make sure that there will not be any issues at check in. My daughter is driving over 2 hours to the hotel, and I will also be multiple states away, just I want to ensure a smooth check in for her. She if course will have her own ID and credit card to put on file for any incidentals. It is just redeeming points I earned for a free nights stay. Thank you everyone for your help!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

To build off what tker and brightlybob have provided, call reservations and make the reservation in your daughters name using points/certs from your Rewards account.  Then no issue at check-in when they ask for an ID.

I've done this many times for my Son when I've given him stays using points from my Rewards account, never had any problems at all.

mustanggt Platinum

If in the future you would like to treat your daughter to a free night somewhere, and it is not a surprise, you can transfer up to 50,000 points from your account to hers per calendar year.  She can then use the points wherever she likes at her convenience.  If she doesn't yet have a MR account, now would be a good time to sign her up, and perhaps get her to sign up for the MR Chase card as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...