73 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2016 9:18 PM by agbcpa RSS

U.S. Airport Security Lines

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There has been a fair amount information put out by airlines and the TSA for increased security lines now though summertime travel at U.S. Airports.  A few articles I've found:

I just traveled from IAH on Monday, May 9th and found the TSA Pre-Check line to be void of any people when we arrived at the ID checkpoint in Terminal C.  Walking over to Terminal E found a few people in line but not more than 10 or so.  I went to My TSA - Home Airport and searched IAH, amazingly again hardly any wait times.

View Security Wait Times

Wait times are reported by fellow travelers. TSA urges all travelers to arrive at the airport well in advance of scheduled departures.

IAH (Houston, TX)  TSA Pre®

George Bush Houston Intercontinental

N/A

1-10 min

Posted 10:03 AM EDT - Today

40/D Terminal

No Wait

Posted 8:30 AM EDT - Today

10/AN Terminal  TSA Pre®

No Wait

Posted 8:27 AM EDT - Today

N/A

31+ min

Posted 5:11 AM EDT - Today

N/A

No Wait

Posted 5:11 AM EDT - Today

70/E Terminal

No Wait

Posted 4:37 AM EDT - Today

30/CN Terminal

No Wait

Posted 7:29 PM EDT - 1 Days ago

40/D Terminal

No Wait

Posted 6:19 PM EDT - 1 Days ago

N/A

No Wait

Posted 6:11 PM EDT - 1 Days ago

40/D Terminal

No Wait

Posted 5:37 PM EDT - 1 Days ago

N/A

No Wait

Posted 4:48 PM EDT - 1 Days ago

60/C-Bridge

31+ min

Posted 4:48 PM EDT - 1 Days ago

N/A

21-30 min

Posted 3:23 PM EDT - 1 Days ago

N/A

1-10 min

Posted 2:18 PM EDT - 1 Days ago

N/A

No Wait

Posted 11:25 AM EDT - 1 Days ago

30/CN Terminal

11-20 min

Posted 11:10 AM EDT - 1 Days ago

N/A

No Wait

Posted 10:59 AM EDT - 1 Days ago

N/A

No Wait

Posted 10:59 AM EDT - 1 Days ago

N/A

No Wait

Posted 10:45 AM EDT - 1 Days ago

N/A

21-30 min

Posted 10:44 AM EDT - 1 Days ago

N/A

21-30 min

Posted 10:42 AM EDT - 1 Days ago

12/AS Terminal  TSA Pre®

1-10 min

Posted 10:34 AM EDT - 1 Days ago

40/D Terminal

No Wait

Posted 10:18 AM EDT - 1 Days ago

70/E Terminal

No Wait

Posted 9:47 AM EDT - 1 Days ago

30/CN Terminal

11-20 min

Posted 9:42 AM EDT - 1 Days ago

Curious what other Insiders have discovered as you've traveled thought security at U.S. Airports in recent weeks?  If the lines have not been longer than usual what/why all the hype?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: U.S. Airport Security Lines
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I wish I had a response I could tel you about but I haven't had any flights so far this year. I am headed to Napa CA at the end of June and I am flying out of JFK. I am on the AA 321T in BC so I am hoping that gets me access to the priority line.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77,

You should get PRIORITY printed on your boarding pass and according to American Airlines Access Privileges | aa.com get access to the priority line.  When I flew AA a month or so back I didn't even check to see if there was any Priority security line as I had Pre-Check.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Thanks for confirming. Right after I posted my original comment I had to research it as I couldn't remember since I booked it like three months back. I was assuming there was a premium cabin line/elite line and there is. I wish I was flying FC as then I could use the Flagship check-in but eh whatever BC is fine with me

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

even with pre check the last two times I flew out of Atlanta it was still 45 minutes. By the way if anyone is  going to get pre check I would suggest global entry as you get the domestic line quicker but also coming back into the country

Global Entry if you are able to get it is certainly the only way to enter the U.S.  We spent all of maybe eight minutes after getting off the plane until exiting the terminal in the parking area the other night coming home from Mexico.  The Immigration line was very long and Customs even longer, none of which we had to mess with.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've been flying quite a bit this year (all leisure). As a Department of Defense employee, I have a Known Traveler Number (KTN) so I always get Pre-Check, as do any others traveling with me on the same reservation.

The lines at the regular screening lines have been moderately long (very long at MCO and LGA). I suspect nothing more than 30 minutes at most places (perhaps a bit more at the worst ones). The Pre-Check lines usually have no more that one person, sometimes not even that (LGA was the exception). The longest I have waited all year to get through the security line was 10 minutes (that was LGA). At MCO, CAE, DFW and DEN, I might have had to wait behind one person. Never more than that. At my home airport (CMH) there is never anyone in the Pre-Check line ahead of me. Less than 5 minutes and I'm on my way to the gate. I love Pre-Check.

As for the busier airports like ORD, MSP, or ATL, those are just connections for me, so I haven't needed to experience the TSA lines there.

I don't think I could ever go back to standing in the regular lines. If I didn't have a KTN, I'd have signed up for Pre-Check long ago.

Perhaps the only exception was in Aruba. One does expect a bit more of a delay in a place such as that. But even there, it took less than 45 minutes to clear customs and security.

bejacob you don't have Global Entry, shame on you?

As an FAA employee (almost typed FFA after reading your Iowa post ) we didn't get a KTN, but with my FAA ID could enter security using the employee line at just about every airport we flew from with PHL, IAH, DFW and AUS being the best.  Some of the contract security hired folks would look at us funny then let is in to the lane, still no issue.

Other than AUA, I haven't taken an international trip in a while. Maybe once I've finished my county seat tour and need to get away.

peymanagement Platinum

My wife always gets TSA pre-check in the states for some reason we don't understand, and I usually get the cattle line. I have been through half a dozen airports this year and have not noticed much difference. Interestingly though at LAS and MCO I beat her through in both places, even though I was in cattle line and she was pre-checked.

jonsummers Gold

What does she look like?  Is she pretty and famous?  Does she treat others extra nice?  I found that being clear, honest, and respectful gets me through life better.  I apologize to everyone I offended when I was not in the best moods.

You can be all those and more, but still not be given Pre-Check!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Some airlines automatically give Pre-check to long term elites. I'm 1k on United and both me and my wife (who is Platinum) get Pre-check on every flight, even though she isn't a US citizen.

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

I just flew through ORD 4 times the last two weeks and the regular line was horrendous and some folks that I was traveling with took over an hour to get through.  I had United Premier Access and last week took me about 40 minutes.  Today at 11:00AM there were only 10 people ahead of me in the Premier Access line.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I'll shortly find out the repercussions, if any, from last night's tragic news, as I head through security at The Bradley International terminal here in a couple of hours, en route to CDG this evening.  TSA at Bradley is excruciating under normal circumstances (no pre check for anyone).  With only a 2 hr 15 min connection, and having to check in (again) with BA (codeshare), I sure hope I make my flight!

peymanagement Platinum

good luck, and have a good trip.

nmballoonist Platinum

FLying to BWI on Tuesday from ABQ had somewhere between 100-200 people in the regular security line. My PRE line had 5-6 people. Breezed through. Flying out of BWI early afternoon tomorrow with PRE and will see what it's like after the Egyption tragedy.

nmballoonist Platinum

About 5 minutes at Pre and estimate the non-Pre was 10 minutes this morning at BWI

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

flew from ATL on Tuesday, at 6am, the TSA pre heck had 200 people and the non pre check was probably 500 people, TSA is a joke. Flew to O'Hare, when I cam back at 5PM, TSA pre check was easily 150 deep and non pre check (priority) was 200+ and non pre no priority was probably 500 people (term 3). I have pre check, but waits were 30 min or so. I saw numerous gate agents in Atlanta and Chicago take pity on pax who missed flights due to TSA. Your flight tax dollars at work. The TSA is pathetic, every news story tells of lapses, bad morale, terrible leadership. So my esteemed Senator from CT, Dickie Blumenthal - lets elim baggage fees. I have to fly to do business, but the TSa has really messed this up and we, the frequent flyers, take the brunt of this incompetence. The TSA doesn't make me feel safe flying, its all smoke and mirrors.

stelzer001,

While I won't disagree with you that for the most part TSA is a horribly mismanaged part of the Government, but then again what department isn't.  But I won't go there.  We here at IAH are very fortunate that we seem to have very good polite well trained and many TSA agents as you can enter security from any of five different terminals all which connect inside security with an above ground train system....knock on wood.

I was talking about this TSA debacle with my retired airline Captain bud yesterday and we both agreed on something which I'm now curious about.  Airports with multiple terminals where you are able to go through security at numerous points such as IAH, DFW, SFO, MIA and even little old RSW seem to have no problem with lines or at least that is my experiences in recent travels.  Those who funnel all pax into the same security area whether they have numerous terminal or not like ATL or DEN and even SEA at our last trip out of there, everyone gets on a train or is dumped out into one common area seems to be where it is horrible.

Anybody have any theories on this?

That makes a lot of sense. At CMH, there are three concourses each with their own security lines (A is Southwest only, B covers most others except Delta, and C is Delta only). Lines seem to be worst at the B checkpoint, though pre-check is easy at all three. The worst part about CMH is that there is no way to go between concourses without exiting security. Of course since there aren't any connecting flights here, that doesn't matter.

Even at a class C airport such as this, I don't think I'd want to see how long lines would if there were only one screening point for the entire airport.

I didn't see an issue on my recent trip to DEN (which has a centralized security (checkpoint), but I went thru screening around 10pm on a Sunday. The area to accommodate passengers waiting in line is huge, so during peak times, perhaps it is an issue.

You may have hit on something here, IAHFLYR. Now if you could offer to be a consultant for the TSA to share this expertise, it might cover cost of your travels for the next couple years.

LOL, oh what a wonderful thought bejacob, me as a consultant...... no way and especially for a government agency.  I've seen enough government over a 36 year career thank you, but better way to test how really messed up they are than if they did hire me......yikes!  Nah, I like being retired and they want me retired.

Speaking of Global Entry, this actually is one government program that is run very well by Customs and Border Patrol.  I am very glad they somehow talked DHS into allowing known travelers to put their know traveler number into their FF account in order to get Pre-Check in the early stages of Pre-Check.

I also believe there are many people who travel that do not want to mess with the background checks so they opt out of any type of program that would be looking at them.  Guess if you have something to hide you can stand in those long lines at the airport so remain in them I say.

IAHFLYER: don't see why you cant offer your services.....given state of TSA, its kinda a cant do any harm situation. I am going on 35 years in my profession and I still have 5 years till mandatory retirement, so if the TSA doesn't fix itself by 2021, maybe you and I can team up and offer our services?

Sorry stelzer001 all I've got is what I've given.  I report to no one but my Wife and she knows better than than to have me work on any job!!!

IAHFlyer: The real issue we have is that our ticket fees fund the TSA. With more people flying, (plus the spare change they claim when you leave it behind at the scanner), they should have more than enough funding to hire more people, and keep the lines running faster with proper attention to security. The issue is that there is no customer centric view when the government runs anything, it become a political game to see how much budget a bureaucracy can control, how much the top people can pay themselves with our money and how little they can do without looking like they aren't just sitting and loafing.

As to the theory of different terminals having or not  having the TSA wait issue, all I can say is try LaGuardia. General Aviation has two separate checkpoints, often a mess of people, with long waits. Then we get to the old USAIR/ DL terminal, where the lines are always long and the TS shuts down precheck on a whim, no matter how busy the security lines are. DL terminal look like people trying to get into Disneyworld on Christmas day, without the happy faces but its always hot and humid in that terminal, even when NYC has -20F. Marine air terminal seems to have the best TSA, but its so sparely used, that no surprise it has the shortest waits. EWR/JFK and LGA are all TSA disaster zones and should be re configured and re thought out. I try to use HPN when I can, but the ticket prices are a joke, its like, oh look, here come all of the people who think a regional airport is cheaper, we will show them! TSA lines are short and well managed.

ATL/ORD/LAX/MIA/DFW all have same issues as NYC airports. MSP seems to be well run, as does RDU, DEN, SLC, IAH.

So, all in TSa needs to step it up, open more lanes, have more people, act like they care. After all, we the travelling public pay for them, and all I ask is we get value for the money. Flying out of NYC means that wont happen in my lifetime, but I can dream

superchief1 Platinum

I agree that the TSA appears to be poorly managed and inefficient. When I flew out of DC a few weeks ago, the lines were moderately long at about noon. The problem was there were several check-lines closed, and more TSA agents standing around than actually working a station. It reminded me of the construction zones on interstates in the old days when one person was shoveling while being watched by 3 supervisors.

Platinum

Heading back from EWR on Sunday - will post anything significant if it occurs as I'm normally boarding and arriving at smaller regional airports with these big hubs in the middle (and therefore not having to deal with enter/exit their TSA lines).

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

EWR has been awful lately....good luck! 

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Not sure why more people do not take advantage of TSA PRECHECK.  I travel every week and never have any issues with security.  Maybe the Federal Government has done a poor job promoting this program, or maybe many of the traveling public simply don't travel often enough to want to pay the fee....  whatever the case, it is interesting that the government is trying to blame the airlines because of their baggage requirements, yet I am being told it is simply a #'s issue that is causing the problem.  Not enough  $$ in the budget ....

For sure, the airlines are taking the heat from their customers as those folks will call the airline much faster than trying to call DC...

Exactly, shoeman1000. I do think that most of the people in the regular screening lines are infrequent travelers. I guess flying only once or twice a year, one might not be interested in paying the $85 fee. Given the stories, perhaps more will. The selfish part of me hopes they won't. I'm happy to breeze on by everyone standing in the regular line.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most FF programs offer precheck to anyone with the lowest level of elite status (UA Silver, AA Gold/oneworld Ruby, DL Silver). I know Frontier and Spirit aren't partners with precheck, but most everyone else is.

Some are blaming the checked bag fee meaning there are more carry-ons to screen. I'm not sure I buy that argument since we've had those fees for a few years now. Whatever the reason, I'm glad I have a KTN and automatic precheck. I don't like waiting in lines.

Shoeman1000: I agree with your observation on Pre check and why more people don't register. But let's face it. TSA makes you schlep to the airport to do this, wants allot of data that some people may wish not to disclose to the US Gov't and while the fee isn't much, to those on a budget it may be just too much. And if you are travelling with family, then each person needs pre check or (and I have seen this happen as recently as Monday of this past week at LGA)the non pre check family is told to go to the general TSA line, so the one with it dutifully follows (Husband with it, wife and school aged child w/o it). The TSA makes it about as hard as possible to get pre check or Global entry given its limited locations to do the enrollment, lack of consumer attitude and no break/volume discount for a family. So when Jeh Johson tells people they should sign up, all I do is laugh. I took my wife and kids to JFK to get the pre check done (no TSA enrollment at LGA or HPN) which is a 1 hour drive, plus the time to get thru the TSA interview (was real fun for my then 9 YO daughter and 7 YO son), then fork over the $$, well, lets just say I have better things to do with my time and money, but I did it so that we can travel easier since we have family and friends all over the USA and often driving or greyhound or Amtrak are not options.

If the TSA actually WANTED people to enroll in pre check it would have enrollment centers in central locations in major cities, it would give discounts for children under 18 (or whatever age is appropriate), it would not make it as difficult as they do.

As for me an mine, we have it so we get the shorter lines, and the better use of our time, but given where the TSA is now versus where it should be, I don't see enrollment in Pre check going up since they make it harder and inconvenient and more expensive than it should be. Yup, that's our great government for ya. Short on brains, long on inconvenience and high cost. So Dickie Blumenthal, keep telling the press that the airlines should eliminate bag fees (which they should) but it doesn't get at the root cause here. Its the TSA and its lack of thought and care of the travelling public and making a service difficult and expensive. The again, when would a US senator (who comes from the 1% crowd, look it up if you don't believe me) really know anything about us poor idiots who travel or need to fly commercial to make money and/or see our friends and family. When you are born into money, you don't need to worry to much and come up with insane solutions and call for investigations into things that don't matter and ignore real solutions. Just sayin, that's all.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

There are a few stand-alone PreCheck centers.  My sister got hers at one in DC.  Also, not everyone qualifies.  Something as minor as a DUI (ok, not minor in my book, but probably doesn't make you a threat to other flyers) can cause a disqualification.  It used to be true that the airlines gave its elite travelers precheck, but I think that has stopped now or will be stopping soon.  Same with automatic PreCheck for all people on your reservation.  In addition, there is always the dreaded SSSS.  PreCheck can't save you if you get that on your ticket!  Been there, and done that, and almost missed my plane.  Had to run across the tarmac like a madman to make it.  My then 6 year old was crying her eyes out watching me through her seat on the plane.  But Delta waited for me - thanks, DL!  And I've heard of people getting their number "pulled" by TSA for screw ups such as attempting to bring a gun or ammo in their carryon or something aggregious like that.  Spouse has high level DOD security clearance that took reams of paperwork and a visit from the FBI to obtain, but yet Spouse still had to go through the PreCheck application process.  Spouse was not happy. 

DoD civilian employees can opt in for precheck and don't have to apply. Here are the details http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/news.cfm?ID=18

No fee to pay, no application to complete. Just opt in.

I hope you're wrong about others booked on the same reservation. That's been a huge help in my travels.

bejacob, thank you for the intel on the DOD opt in - does it apply to contract employees?  I will click on the link and check it our for the renewal process.

I don't know for sure, clebert, but I don't think so. That might be worth investigating.

superchief1 Platinum

Does anyone know whether spouses can use the pre-check line when traveling with someone with pre-check? I was told that my wife could have gone through pre-check with me at CVG (after she was already in cattle line), but she was not allowed from FLL. I typically get pre-check on Delta as million miler, but not on other airlines. I plan to sign up for global entry (using my Amex credit) as soon as I find my passport. I don't travel internationally any more. 

Whenever anyone travels with me on the same reservation, that person also gets precheck. Now whether that is because I have a Known Traveler Number (KTN), I don't know, though if I had to guess I'd say that is the reason. My mom had benefited from it once or twice. My significant other has gotten precheck on every trip she's taken with me in the past few years (probably about half a dozen times). It's a huge time-saver.

I do know that elite travelers only will get precheck on airlines with which they hold status (unless there is some other factor, i.e. having signed up and paid for precheck with the TSA). Again, makes me glad for my KTN.

spouses and/or family do not automatically get precheck when traveling with the person with precheck.  Also, if the person traveling with you does not have precheck on their boarding pass, they will not be allowed to go thru the precheck line.  Finally, I found the precheck made available for free with my airline status gave me random approval when traveling only on my airline and never when traveling on another airline.  Since I purchased precheck thru TSA, I have qualified for it on every flight  on every airline. 

Stelzer made an awesome point I had not thought about.  Have precheck does nothing for the cardholder if no one else in his/her family has the same status....

spouses and/or family do not automatically get precheck when traveling with the person with precheck.  Also, if the person traveling with you does not have precheck on their boarding pass, they will not be allowed to go thru the precheck line.  Finally, I found the precheck made available for free with my airline status gave me random approval when traveling only on my airline and never when traveling on another airline.  Since I purchased precheck thru TSA, I have qualified for it on every flight  on every airline. 

Stelzer made an awesome point I had not thought about.  Have precheck does nothing for the cardholder if no one else in his/her family has the same status....

Stelzer made an awesome point I had not thought about.  Having  precheck does nothing for the cardholder if no one else in his/her family has the same status....

Stelzer made an awesome point I had not thought about.  Having  precheck does nothing for the cardholder if no one else in his/her family has the same status....

IAHFLYR, here's a summary of my recent experiences in US airports, from fastest to slowest:

BOS - 5 min. to get through PreCheck, but other lines did not look too bad.

CVG - 5 min. to get through PreCheck, and the other lines did not look long at all.

SJU - 5 min. to get through PreCheck and other lines did not look long at all.

MSY - 5 min. to get through PreCheck and other lines did not look long at all.

MCO - 5-10 minutes to get through PreCheck; but my colleague traveling with me did not have PreCheck, and it took him 45 min. Regular lines looked very long.

MIA - 5-10 min. to get through PreCheck, but baggage lines at AA took about 15-20 min.  Regular security lines looked very long.

HNL - 10 min. to get through PreCheck, and other lines looked fairly long.

LGA - 10 min. to get through PreCheck, and other lines looked fairly long.

SFO - 10 min. to get through PreCheck, but other lines looked very long.

LAS - 10 min. to get through PreCheck, but other lines looked very long.

SEA - 10 min. to get through PreCheck, but other lines looked very long.

RSW - 10-15 min. to get through PreCheck (which is not always open at this airport), and other lines looked very, very long.

MSP - 10- 15 min. to get through PreCheck, and other lines looked horribly long.

ORD - 15-20 min. to get through PreCheck, and Lord have mercy on anyone trying to go through the regular lines

LAX - see ORD, above.

DEN - see ORD, above.

ATL - see ORD, above.

superchief1 Platinum

It appears the moral of your story is to do everything in your power to get pre-check.  What day and time were you at RSW? I'll be there later this year and my wife doesn't have pre-check. Thanks.

Great intel clebert.  Thank you for your data.

superchief1,

RSW, you will find Pre-Check open or not anytime at RSW.  They seem to open in and close it whenever they want, but you will get an orange card if it is not open so you can at least keep you shoes on!!!    Plan on having your liquids available to put on the screen rack regardless, and keep your shoes on.  Yes, laptops out to if you get the orange card which means Pre-Check is NOT open.

superchief1, yes PreCheck is the best $85 I ever spent (actually I included Global Entry so the total for both was $100).  If you have a high end credit card (i.e. travel card with a significant annual fee), the card will give you a $100 credit every 5 years for the application so maybe consider that.  You have to make an appointment at an airport to get clearance.  I did mine at ORD - big mistake - avoid at all costs!  Appointments were running an hour behind.  Spouse did an appt. at ATL which was much faster - took about 20 min.  Kids did theirs at MCO which was by far the easiest and took only 5 min.  You don't have to be flying to do your appt.  We happened to be in Orlando but didn't fly into MCO but we still set up our apts at MCO and it worked just fine.

IAHFLYR is right on about RSW.  That airport has no rhyme or reason about PreCheck, and if they are doing the orange/pink cards instead of having a separate PreCheck line, it's really PreCheck "lite" and you still have to get out the laptop and take off shoes and stand in line with everyone else, so not very useful.  RSW is my second home airport so I fly in and out all times of year, and it seems more likely that PreCheck will be open during "season" which is Christmas through Easter, approximately.  But even then there are no guarantees.  Lines there can be bad anytime of year.  Get there at least 2 hours ahead of your flight or maybe longer.  I missed an AA to DFW once and couldn't get rebooked for 3.5 days because it's a small airport and AA is not a major carrier there.  So I had to pay $1040 for a one-way on DL with 2 stops.  UGH!  I use AA, DL and UA in and out of RSW but DL has the most flights.  Also rent your car as far in advance as you can, as RSW rental rates can be very high and they sometimes run out of cars, if you want one of the agencies at the terminal.  I never go offsite because it's too big a hassle even though the offsite car rentals tend to be cheaper.

At RSW you can actually keep your shoes on if you get the orange/pink card (some have faded it seems) for the oft talked about Pre-Check line.  As clebert mentioned the lines can be long a times however; using the line for Flight Crews/First Class and Elite plus Pre-Check is never long at least in the Terminal C line for United.

His comment on rental cars is spot on, yet once you reserve a car constantly look at the rates up until the day before you leave as they will surely change and come down.  Also, there is now a gas station on the airport so returning it full of fuel is not an issue especially since the new road from I-75 into the airport is not open and the price is not all that much higher.

IAHFLYR, good point about checking and re-checking rates on cars.  I use Costco Travel which usually has very good rates for the major agencies, and you don't have to pre-pay and can therefore cancel and rebook anytime.  Plus, no hidden fees or charges for an extra driver with Costco, plus you get an automatic upgrade to a better class of vehicles.  I have gotten burned booking through cheapo websites, then I show up for the rental and find there are a bunch of hidden fees/taxes that weren't included in the quote.  Once I rented a car overnight in MIA (had it for about 24 hours only), and my Costco rental was under $15.  When I returned and the attendant printed out my receipt, even he was shocked at what a great rate I got.

IAHFLYR did you say that the RSW cars now have the option to drive through toll booths and have the toll charged back to you?  Or is that the only option?  MIA cars all have the prepaid/pay as you go toll option since Miami has a lot of roads where there is no option to pay cash at the toll booth, so MIA rentals all seem to have that option to not pay cash at the toll roads and have any fees charged back to you after the rental (with a hefty convenience fee, unfortunately).  So far the Gulf coast doesn't have too many toll roads (keeping my fingers crossed), unlike Miami and Orlando.

clebert, yes the last two cars I rented one from Avis the other from Hertz came with the toll pass on the car, if you used it you'd get charges a flat rate per day and then whatever the toll is.  Since there are no toll roads on in the Southwest part of the state as you know other than the Sanibel Causeway I do not know what the charge is.

It's something like $5 a day, with a max of $25 (probably varies by company) plus the actual cost of the toll (not the discounted EZ-Pass or whatever system is in use). If you only use it one day, you still pay the base fee for each day or the rental. Generally better off going through the cash lane if that is an option unless you're using toll roads every day. Might save a bit of time, but it doesn't save you any money.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I have started using Costco for rental cars because they usually offer the best rates, sometimes hundreds of $$$$ less than other options. I wish you could modify a rate online rather than having to make a new reservation before canceling the original one.  I've also had good luck finding reasonable one way rentals through Costco.

nmballoonist Platinum

Agree the $100 ($20/year) for Global Entry + PreCheck is the best travel investment you can make.  My family did ours at ABQ (at the airport outside of security) with no problems.  Arrived early for my appointment, was in and out in no time.

pilam76 Platinum

Just IMHO, as someone who travels often with TSA precheck, too many TSA agents standing around giving instructions instead of having them open an extra security lane.

I'm not sure there's much room to open up additional security lines.  Where would the people go?  A lot of these airports just seem packed to the brim with lines snaking all over the airport.  They'd need an airport expansion to get space for more lanes.  And I think the agents directing people are very helpful and useful.  Otherwise you end up with non PreCheckers in the PreCheck lane and vice-versa.  This seems especially true in the big airports or those with higher percentages of elderly folks, leisure travelers or non-speakers of English (e.g., MIA).

pilam76 Platinum

Personally, here at Fort Lauderdale airport in the Delta & American area, I see all the time additional scanners closed and TSA just standing and yelling instructions though I am glad to hear the news about the TSA hiring new officers.

boomer Platinum

I try not to criticize TSA as they do a thankless and valuable job.  I just wished that there was better local supervision/management to adjust staffing as needed.

A lot of my travels are between PVD (Providence, RI) and BWI.  At PVD the TSA agents are friendly, efficient and thorough.

At BWI, it is a mix but usually efficient however on 2 recent afternoon flights the TSA precheck lane was longer than the regular lane.  Not sure if it is time of day (as I usually travel later at night).

I live closer to BOS than PVD but PVD is much less of a hassle whereas Boston has security checkpoints jammed into tight areas causing bottlenecks all around.

boomer Platinum

I believe that the only non Pre Check people who can accompany you are children under 12.  I have booked flights for my family, daughter and father on the same reservation with me the past year and I was the only one to get PreCheck.  Yes, I was a nice guy and accompanied them through the regular line.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I have been getting TSA pre-check for several years now without applying for anything.  It just started showing up on my boarding pass.  I was Silver Medallion on Delta for 1 year but not every year, while my husband has been Silver for several years now.  He occasionally gets pre-check, but not very often.  Even though I get pre-check, I occasionally have to have additional screening because of my knee replacements. Most of the agents thoroughly explain what they are doing and are usually very apologetic that they have to get up close and personal.

Saw an item last evening regarding IAH and the security lines and as suspected, we do not have the same issues as other large airports with excessive wait times and I'm glad for it.

Details on most airport wait times? TSA refuses to say | abc13.com

Those flying out of IAH who are here for the September Insiders TIPPLE should be happy campers when they get to IAH headed home, but then again this is May so who knows!!!

seatexan Platinum

LFT (Lafayette, LA)  is easy easy... esp if you arrive 1.5 hours a head of time.  MOST show up about 45 min before boarding. Of course we only have little jumpers. 

THE WORST I have had to wait was 2 hours in Las Vegas! It was miserable! Far longer than customs thru IAH! 

I don't have TSA Pre or Global but I am seriously considering before my Costa Rica trip in Aug.  The New Orleans office is closed on Friday however... Typical of Louisiana!

SeaTexan you really should get Global Entry as our time from the airplane until out of the terminal was 10 minutes when we returned from Puerto Vallarta a couple of weeks ago.  Mind you we only had carry-on stuff so no luggage wait, but no wait for Immigration nor Customs!!

Is Nawlins' your only CBP Office? 

seatexan Platinum

10 min is fantastic!

Ha, yes Nawlins' is the only one in this state.  I wonder if I can just drive to H-town instead.  Does it even matter where I set the appointment? My office closes at 11:30am on Fridays (no one in the state works on Friday!) so taking a Friday off is pretty easy.  But taking a entire Thursday to go to Nola is a pain. 

You have to set the appointment and it does not matter where you make it.  IAH has an office inside security in Terminal E for those who may choose to fly in and outside of security in Terminal E just outside of the exit for Customs.  Our appointment was right on schedule and took maybe 20 minutes in all as they have you watch a short video first.

Yeah, 10 minutes and probably seven or eight of those minutes was walking from the plane to the Global Entry kiosks area.

seatexan Platinum

Sweet! I will make an appt this summer in Houston then

Don't wait too long as you'll want it all done when you leave for Costa Rica.

seatexan Platinum

June should be ok right? or does it take MONTHS? :/

No idea how long it will take to schedule an appointment.....think you can look that up online. Once you have your appointment and are approved you will get your Known Traveler number and then you can put it into your MileagePlus account right away.  Make sure you take your passport with you and when you leave the appointment your passport will be good to go.

nmballoonist Platinum

Cant comment about the current time. CBP rep who did my interview said I would get an email with my number in 7-10 days and my card in 2-3 weeks. I got my confirmation email and number about 10 hours after completing my interview (2 weeks later my wife didn't get out of the airport parking lot before getting hers). I got my card, which is not needed only the number, in about a week.  YMMV