55 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2016 1:47 AM by dansplan RSS

Looking for better Promotions from Marriott

manishm Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

First of all this is my first post in this forum and I don't wish to sound negative.. I have enjoyed my stay with Marriott a lot and looking forward in future...

This post is about marriott promotions for regular customers like me. I suppose many of us are traveling Monday morning and returning thursday evening.. staying  3days a week in marriott..  I am staying for last 3 years with Marriott and on an average spending 125nights/per.. I cannot see much benefit with current promotions as it is looking to pull short term customer.. Just came to know about new Summer Mega Bonus Promotion starting May 26th, this start from May 26 and ends in September,2016 with per stay bonus of 2000 points.. I am planning to stay 15weeks (50days) during the same period and hence this promotion doesn't make any good sense or beneficial for long and regular customer like me? for me this promotion will mean gaining 10000 points similar to any other customer staying for only 5days during this period with 5 billings of 1 day each..

I have Hilton Hhonors membership as well and looks like they have a better deal during the same period, 2x points for each stay with no upper limit.. Marriott offers always comes with upper limit.. I would like to know if Marriott does offer any such kind of deals to regular customers

Thanks

Manish

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Looking for better Promotions from Marriott
    droma Platinum

What is this summer megabonus you speak of???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

manishm Platinum

should be launched probably this week... I got to know from Marriott reward customer care..

ramoneur Platinum

will there be a summer megabonus?

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Summer promotion over here. Earn 2,000 points each stay starting with your second stay up to 10,000 points or up to 12,000 points if you are a Marriott credit card holder.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Unfortunately for regular customers, the purpose of bonus promotions is increasing business, as opposed to rewarding regular customers.  It's a promotion, not a reward!  These promotions are tailored to improving revenue and that makes sense, to me, as a shareholder, even if it does not give me a warm feeling, as a customer. 

If the competition offers better deals and starts pulling customers away, then that might change.  If the current plans, by the hotel industry, to build a huge number of new hotels, over the next two years, creates a glut of new hotels, then things may change, but that will only happen if Marriott starts to lose business to the competition.

peymanagement Platinum

First of all, welcome on your first post. I have to agree somewhat with your point. I can not complain about the mega bonus' but also am not jumping up and down excited. I think the spring bonus was targeted at bringing in new members with a quick win, a free night. I was happy with the free night as well but I did not find the actual mega bonus all that rewarding. That is because it was all that I could do to get to 20 days, and 15000 points did not seem like a great reward compared to what I remember in the fall bonus.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Do you have any ideas of what a better promotion would look like? The topic comes up every so often, but we haven't talked about it for a year or two. In the past, we've hit on the fact that there are two distinct types of travelers - those who have no trouble maxing out whatever number of nights is needed during a promotion and those who might make one or two stays during a bonus and who might be persuaded by a free night certificate to make one or perhaps two additional stays.

Knowing that what phctourist says it true (promotions are to generate revenue, not to reward customers) what sort of offer(s) should Marriott create?

mustanggt Platinum

I have an idea.  Most promotions are geared to staying a certain number of nights which clearly favors business travelers over leisure travelers.  Many business travelers can rack up a large number of nights but may be staying at lower cost Marriotts such as Courtyards, Residence Inns, etc.  Leisure travelers tend to stay a fewer number of nights, and therefor cannot achieve the 15 or 20 night thresholds, but are staying at full service Marriotts such as JWs, RCs, etc at higher nightly costs.  10 nights at a JW might equate to 20 nights at a Courtyard.  It would seem to me that ultimately Marriott is focused on the total revenue generated by its customers regardless of the source.  Therefor, why not have promotions geared to both business and leisure travelers by saying either stay 20 nights at any Marriott or spend $*** amount during the promotion period.  Marriott should not disregard leisure travelers since someday all business travelers will retire, lose their T&E accounts, and become leisure travelers as well!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

First, I agree with your suggestion that $ be used as a criteria. The airlines are doing that now.

Having said that, my experience is different than yours. Business travelers tend to stay at the JW and other higher end hotels while families on vacation gravitate to the RI and CY type properties.

mustanggt Platinum

When I was in business our rule was to travel "economically".  No JW, no Ritz, and no first/business class travel.  We were also encouraged to fly the red eyes from the west coast to the east coast to save on airfare and avoid an extra night in a hotel.  I guess I can only blame myself for this since I was one of the owners!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I guess it depends on the business. We had business class flights on all international flights. JW was the default hotel. On a long flight we were allowed to fly in a day early so we could recover from jet lag before starting work.

mustanggt Platinum

That sounds awesome.  In my next life I want to work at your company!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Me, too!  Our situation is the opposite.  Business trips are in economy and at middle-of-the-road hotels for me and CY for Spouse, but personal trips we sometimes choose JWs and RCs.  Haven't splurged for first class yet, though, other than elite upgrades or the occasional reasonably-priced upgrade at check in.  Spouse is on govt. contracts and has to stay at CY which apparently has a contract with US govt.  Spouse's office has international work and all international flights are in economy, even to Australia from US.  Once and awhile I get a Four Seasons for work, but those are few and far between.

I disagree with $$$ based earning for promotions. A year or so ago, some folks had offers that doubled the base points earned for every stay. Since base points are already based on how much is spent, this promotion essentially rewarded folks based on $$$ spent. Many people ended up earning far fewer bonus point than they would have had a promotion based on the number of nights.

Regular earning for points is already based on $$$ spent. Doing the same for promotions would just let Marriott reward most people with fewer bonus points, further eroding the value of promotions. I don't think this is where we want to go at all.

I also agree with john_thai that many business travelers prefer JW and Renaissance over RI and FFI. Families on tight budgets are more likely to seek out less expensive properties than business travelers. That's not there aren't budget business travelers. It's just that many have a bit more flexibility in what they can pay for travel.

mustanggt Platinum

Good morning bejacob.  Let me try to clarify what I'm suggesting.  Many insiders have previously commented that they could never stay 20 nights in a three month period and therefore would never achieve a megabonus threshold based ONLY on days.  Clearly a road warrior can knock this off in their sleep.  What I'm suggesting is this:  Marriott knows exactly the average nightly spending rate of those individuals that achieved the last 20 night megatons challenge.  Let's say for sake of illustration it is $250 per night.  Multiply this by 20= $5,000.  That means that Marriott has concluded that $5,000 of spending during the promotional timeframe is worth rewarding an individual with a certain number of bonus points (perhaps 15,000 points).  Therefore, to encourage spending by those good customers that will never stay 20 nights during the promotional period, but may spend a lot during a fewer number of visits, give them a chance to also cash in by saying that you can EITHER stay 20 nights OR spend $5,000 during the promotional period to earn the bonus.  If you really want to get fancy, you could also say if you BOTH stay 20 nights AND spend $5,000 your megabonus is 25,000 points rather than 20,000.  This might help encourage stays at full service Marriotts in addition to the RI and Courtyards of the world.

Ok, I see what you mean. The only issue I see is the complications. The Spring MegaBonus with each of its 3 parts confused a lot of folks, including a fair number of people working for Marriott.

I suspect anyone who might have a hard time reaching 20 nights would also find spending $5,000 to be out of reach.

In any case, coming up with other possibilities is good. Marriott is unlikely to take any of our ideas, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't brainstorm. Who knows, maybe one day we'll see a bonus based on a suggestion from this site.

Twenty nights is a lot.  $5,000 is even more, for me.  I spend far less than $250 per night, on average.

Regardless, this promo will not do me much good, since I plan three of four stays this summer and two of them will be on points.  Win some, lose some!

I'll look forward to the fall Megabonus, in the hope that it will do me some good.

Platinum

Doing based on dollars also kills it for govt employees/contractors who are normally paying a substantially lower rate, but often times staying for extended stays, or during periods where occupancy is typically low. Lastly, it just looks a bit more crass (to me anyhow) to see a promotion based on spending $x. Also, (ok so it wasn't really lastly above) psychologically, I believe a number of nights or stays sounds pleasant or achievable even when it may be a lot of $ spent, where the total $ spent just doesn't feel good. Anyone in agreement, totally disagreement, ready to send torpedos? OK - fire away good or bad...

peymanagement Platinum

hopefully we will hear from the original poster, but a lot of first timers choose to make their post and we never hear from them again. I think that while ultimately everything that marketing does is focused on generating revenue, the spring bonus was focused on, as it maybe should be, attracting and keeping the new customers while looking after the long stayers. Last year, marketing came up with a strategy that at the front desk that first time patrons could get free internet by signing up (giving their e mail) We had to keep them. The spring mega bonus competed with best western "stay two and get one free". We have to admit that the spring bonus was not managed well; some did not hear about it; others did not get their bonus windows opened; late postings screwed some out of third window openings all together; was it 20 or 25 to open the last window/ what date did the mega bonus end?

one of the longest posts on here is "what is your spring bonus"

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Agree that this Spring MegaBonus was MegaConfusion!

Platinum

MegaCluster tm

mustanggt Platinum

It just seems to me that any promotion that is based on staying 20 or more nights during a specified period is aimed almost entirely at business travelers.  Most leisure travelers cannot achieve this threshold.  If Marriott's intent is to gear these promotions towards business travelers than they have hit a home run.  If not, then another approach is necessary.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Interestingly, I have been reading about "promo's" and what form they take.  First of all, someone commented about all business travelers eventually becoming leisure travelers when they retire.  While that is true, it also becomes the time that Marriott pat's you on the back, thanks you for all your business over the previous years, and tells you they hope to see you again some time down the road.  Any, you will always have your lifetime level...  The real prize is the milenials.  These are the customers that will be feeding the cash register for the next 30-40 years and are the coveted group.  What do they feed off of?  1. Instant gratification.  2.  Constant reminders of their importance.  No long term commitment.  The bonus programs have morphed from 30 night commitments to stay once get this, stay twice get that ideas.  Finally, while leisure travelers are a small piece of the puzzle, the $$$ are in the business travelers pockets.  Marriott, and every other hospitality company for that matter, must keep the milenials happy or their future will be bleak....

that's my take, what's yours?

Platinum

I agree with you shoeman1000  Also, if you run a business, you know that you can't please all of the people all of the time, and someone that stays 1-5 nights a year is really not a customer you can afford to chase unless it was something like very specific time periods when occupancy is typically low. Not many leisure travelers want to vacation in Minnesota in the Winter, but for those that do, the rates have already been adjusted to entice them.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Interestingly, I have been reading about "promo's" and what form they take.  First of all, someone commented about all business travelers eventually becoming leisure travelers when they retire.  While that is true, it also becomes the time that Marriott pat's you on the back, thanks you for all your business over the previous years, and tells you they hope to see you again some time down the road.  And, you will always have your lifetime level...  The real prize is the milenials.  These are the customers that will be feeding the cash register for the next 30-40 years and are the coveted group.  What do they feed off of?  1. Instant gratification.  2.  Constant reminders of their importance.  No long term commitment.  The bonus programs have morphed from 30 night commitments to stay once get this, stay twice get that ideas.  Finally, while leisure travelers are a small piece of the puzzle, the $$$ are in the business travelers pockets.  Marriott, and every other hospitality company for that matter, must keep the milenials happy or their future will be bleak....

that's my take, what's yours?

I keep looking for these coveted milenials and don't see them when I stay at Marriott properties.  Tweo weeks ago I was at a FFI and 90% of guess were well past 40.  That is what I typically see. I do not see the younger set flooding the hotels!

hassmh Gold

I was at a Courtyard in Orlando last week and most I saw looked close to or younger than I am, in my mid-30s. Perhaps the Courtyard is where they hang out, where nobody on here likes to be! I only chose it due to location and corporate rate policy; for leisure travel I rarely choose Courtyard either. Perhaps these millennials are in the same boat as me, nearly always stuck at Courtyard due to company policy?

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Same problem over here but I have to stay mainly at the FFI because CY are too expensive near where I work in the past business travels. The CY usually have better rooms from my travel experiences but definitely not my first choice for leisure travel. My preference is usually RI or FS Marriott.

Platinum

Hence, that's why Marriott is trying to hard to entice them - if they don't start showing up soon and all of us seasoned travelers retire or flat out die, that can't be good for business. You are right though, most Millennials I know that are not travelling on company accounts don't want to spend the $ for anything beyond FF of CY, and mostly are heading for Red roof Inn, Days Inn, etc, so they have more $ to spend when they get wherever they are going.

seatexan Platinum

Well this Millennial likes to stay at JWs or Rens...  and it's 99% leisure.    It does help to know my plans WAY in advance so I can watch prices.  I have always managed to get wonderful deals at full service hotels.  The younger Millennials might not want to take the time to do the footwork though. 

dansplan LOL you all better NOT "flat out die".  hahaha. 

I can't ever make the promotions.  I did get the free night stay so I was so happy I got a promo once in my Marriott life!

manishm Platinum

thanks you all for responding to this post.. I do agree to many comments that originally my post was more for REWARDS and Less for PROMOTIONS..

but this had interestingly opened up good discussion.. Promotions and not $ based whereas rewards are $ based.. We get points in rewards based on $ spent whereas promotions are more on # of night stayed in property..

Example as Platinum Member to get Spring promotion: IF we end up spending 25nights with cheapest Marriott property say $80 per night.. to get promotion of 30000, we will end up spending =25 X 80 = $2000, where as same other member stayed in high end property with $200/night will get similar promotion of 30000 by spending = 25 X 200 = $5000

My initial post was originally to find out of Marriott reward members more during promotion phase or everyone is treated equal..

As one example that I gave before, for frequent traveller like me, I can end up spending more than capped night for the promotion but will not get extra points even I stayed more nights during the Promotion period

I hope Marriott comes up with such scheme which can benefit frequent & regular customer more than general members

manishm Platinum

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

This is definitely a disappointing promo for the summer. Didn't expect it to get this bad. Seems like most users got the offer to earn 2K points for every stay (starting with the 2nd stay) up to 10K, while those with the Marriott credit card got an additional 2K (making the max 12K only). Guess it's better than nothing for those who are traveling with Marriott regardless.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Over my decade of Marriott membership I've probably made the 25-nights-during-megabonus twice (scoring if I remember correctly 50,000 bonus points each time) despite managing to maintain Platinum for 7 of those years. Most years I find it tough to get the 40 nights needed to maintain Gold. 10 nights, typically in 6 stays, tends to represent a fair average during a typical promo period so these X-points-per-stay and double points tend to score better for me.

Taking the Spring Megabonus I easily scored the 2 stays for a Cat5 cert, but having stayed only 12 paid nights didn't manage the 20 nights for 15,000 points. This 6 stay maximum summer promo plays well into my plans for 6 stays during the summer, so I'm happy. And personally I prefer the double points or 2,000 per stay promos which do encourage me to ensure the maximum nights go to Marriott, as opposed to the last one where I had no chance of getting to the 20 so diverted some stays IHGs way to take my 50,000IHG points promo in just 8 nights!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

manishm, I agree with you.  I travel 85% for work, and I have little to no control over when and where.  So I never (and I mean NEVER) get the MegaBonus offers completed.  I usually have flexibility to choose a Marriott property when traveling for work, but even that is not enough to meet the MegaBonus criteria since my trips are spaced out throughout the year.

I keep looking for these coveted milenials and don't see them when I stay at Marriott properties.  Two weeks ago I was at a FFI and 90% of guess were well past 40.  That is what I typically see. I do not see the younger set flooding the hotels!

Beyond that, consider that the real purpose of these promotions is to get you to travel more than you already do.  They are designed to encourage us to travel more and to spend more with Marriott.  Other than increasing business, they do nothing for Marriott.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

one impact for me is do I use points for a stay for given this offer pay if the price is reasonable? I have a stay the end of this month and now will chose to pay since it will be my second stay.

"Encourage us to travel more and spend more with Marriott."

That's exactly it! The question then becomes, is it better to encourage the occasional leisure traveler to add one or two nights/stays or to try to get the frequent travelers to do even more?

I'd argue the first option would likely generate more revenue and here's why. Those folks who spend 15+ nights a month are going to max out the bonuses no matter what. Odds are they won't need to add more nights to meet a promotion. If the goal is to reward them with extra points, then that's one thing. It's more likely that promotions targeted at these folks are more about making sure Marriott gets their business rather than risk losing it to the competition. Look at all the comments about folks trying to earn bonus points at other chains.

For the occasional MR member traveler, one or two stays a quarter might be the norm. If Marriott can bump that up slightly, it could have a bigger impact since there are likely a lot more of these travelers out there. Also consider that most of these folks will not be booking 1-night stays when going on a family vacation.

It then becomes a balancing act between keeping the road warriors happy while still finding a way to increase the spending by leisure travelers. Not an easy feat, and one in which it will be impossible to please everyone.

Platinum

Yep, I'll say that once I have a long-distance client in play, I've always maxed out the megabonuses. Those like myself that are travelling this much try to stay loyal to MR, but since status matching's easy these days, it sometimes pays to bounce back and forth a bit, especially when you've rec'd lifetime status and don't have to worry about losing it. Again, I just don't see how it's profitable to give someone who travels 3 nights a year an extra night if they bump up to 5 nights a year (for example). There has to be some level of expected travel between "hardly any" and "road warrior" and I actually think the Spring Megabonus addressed both of those groups. It just came up a bit short for those that are on the road most of the time, but I bet for those that never get close, they were happy for the Cat 5 certificate.

You nailed it on the Spring MegaBonus dansplan. When Marriott tries to please everyone, a lot folks aren't thrilled. With two distinct groups, there really need to be 2 different bonus options. In times past there have been 3, 4, or 5 variations. That's too many.

Make it simple. Create one promo that earns a certificate for every two stays (past promos have maxed out at 2 certs). The other offer can be based on nights 15, 20, 25, whatever. For that one, the points need to be worth it. Past offers have been 45k, 50k, 55k, or even 60k for the maximum.

Last thing. Let us choose which offer we want. My travels vary greatly. This last bonus I hit 25 nights; others I'm lucky to reach 10. There will still be a few unhappy folks (infrequent travelers who can't find a cat 1-5 property to use a cert). Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

I actually can't comprehend, why Marriott rewards stays as opposed to nights.  It must cost Marriott money for a guest to check out of one hotel and into another.  It has to be more profitable for Marriott when someone stays multiple nights in one hotel as opposed to the same number of nights in multiple hotels.

Does anyone have an explanation as to why stays are rewarded, as opposed to nights?

hassmh Gold

I don't think the average traveller is likely to break up existing stays into shorter ones just to make a bonus based on stays, thus generating many check-in/out transactions from what would be a single one. Some certainly will, and will shortcut to the end of the bonus that way, so good for them.

For the rest of us with additional considerations (e.g. corporate policy, spousal approval, etc) would not get away with bouncing around town to different hotels every night to make a bonus quickly, thus the only way to add a stay is to add additional stays/nights to existing plans, thus adding revenue for Marriott above current plans. Some stays will be 1 night, some stays will be 1 month, but most will fall somewhere in between, and the added revenue from a percentage of members adding another stay or 2 to their plans to get an additional bonus is where the value comes in for Marriott. It surely is more than enough to offset the points from the much smaller percentage of hotel-hoppers who will accelerate their bonuses by hopping from one hotel to another.

I agree hassmh.  My question s why does Marriott reward stays rather than nights or amount spent?

I think hassmh said it pretty well. Marriott figures that most folks will not break up stays, so by rewarding stays rather than nights, they actually get folks to stay more nights. Let's say the average stay is 4-nights. If I'm an infrequent traveler, I'm likely to make one such stay during a promo. By rewarding someone for making two stays during that period, I might add another trip and Marriott now gets revenue for 8 nights. Most folks will not break their 4-night stay into two 2-nights to earn a certificate (some will) so by encouraging someone to make an extra stay, the most likely outcome will be 4 more paid nights. It's not 100% accurate, but I think it illustrates the idea. The point of rewarding stays is not to break multi-nights stays into smaller pieces, but to add one (or more) multi-night stays to a traveler's plans.

seatexan Platinum

Well I wish they rewarded nights and not stays as I won't break up my long weekends. 

Perhaps you're thinking about it the wrong way. If Marriott gives you a free night certificate after 2 stays, but it would take a minimum of 15 nights to earn points, many leisure travelers would opt for the 2 stays. For them, getting to 15 nights is too difficult so the thinking goes that it's better to get something (a cat 1-5 cert) than to get nothing.

It seems to me the lowest number of nights needed to earn points in past promotions was 12. If promos were based solely on nights, anyone staying less than 12 (or 15 or whatever the minimum is) gets nothing. When a promo offers something after two stays, almost every can see an incentive to try. If I knew I had one 3-night stay planned, it's unlikely I'd reach 12 or 15 nights, so I wouldn't even try. Adding another stay, even if it is just one or two nights, seems within reach, so I might end up booking something. That's why Marriott does it.

It goes back to the two types of travelers. Those who will have no problem hitting 25+ nights will probably always be better off with just a normal nights-based promo. The other type will probably benefit from something based on 2-4 stays. In my mind, Marriott needs to target both. Then it just becomes a matter of who gets which offer. Frequently in the past, Marriott has made the wrong choice which is why I still think they should leave the choice to each of us.

mustanggt Platinum

There is a lot of talk about "stays" and "nights" but total silence on "rooms".  All of my travel is leisure. Most of my trips involve renting multiple rooms to accommodate my family (usually 2 or 3 rooms).  It has always annoyed me that only one room counts towards these promotions.  Isn't it in Marriott's best interest to rent multiple rooms to a traveling family rather than have the family all squish into one room in the cheapest RI that can be found?  How about a promotion that takes into consideration and counts the multiple rooms that you rent while staying at a full service Marriott. 

Platinum

My theory (and it's just a theory) is that they feel that people like me (I typically stay 2 weeks at a time) won't bother with  the hassle of checklng in and out, therefore, for whatever reason, they know I'll do the the nights either way (!?!). On the other hand - the infrequent guest less long guest is probably HAPPIER having bonus based on stays, so basically i'm in complete and total agreement with bejacob

as well as hassmh

Writing this from my United flight on quite a turbulent trip, so apologize for any liquid-refreshment-induced of just plain bumps grammar, repetitiveness, e

Platinum

Most likely you and I like many here think when we retire we should help Marriott "get it", but instead they'll just keep doing what they do and we'll keep staying, whining, or leaving, and nobody will be the wiser. After SPG, who knows how it will go, so probably best to earn and burn before the transition. That said, I do think from my way-in-the-distant-past experience with HHonors, it just took too many points to get a nice room - we'll see with Diamond status plus the double nights promo if I still fell that way. In the mean time - Tipple on folks. Sorry, but Houston is probably second to El Paso as my least favorite city in TX (ok - ready to dodge the flames now!)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well the TIPPLE is nothing official. The Houston venue was chosen by me as I'm in the USA carrying out research and the city fitted both the profile and parameters. I emailed bejacob as he'd offered last year to let me join him for a County Collecting trip and we decided to throw open our meeting-up night to anyone else who wanted to join us. Typically such meet-ups generate one or two relative locals making the journey, so we were looking at maybe 5 or 6 of us - maximum - and I think I can speak for bejacob when I say that we both remain shocked at the response - 21 and counting, flying in from all over the USA, and even diverting a European trip with all those attendant fees (pluto77).

I know there are many more touristically attractive cities around the US than Houston. Like my home city, Manchester, it's a workaday city, and I chose it for my work, thus it became the TIPPLE venue. Now dansplan, are you joining us on our TIPPLE?

Re: Who's attending TIPPLE in Houston on 16th & 17th Sept 2016? Here's the list

Platinum

Thank you for the invite brightlybob . I already considered myself unofficially invited by mstrchk, and realize that anyone can come, but it's still nice to get a tip of the hat from the organizer.  Alas, I will be in lovely (depending on your point of view of course) Syracuse, NY that week. Given the season, it still might be a lot nicer than Houston, but I look forward to plenty of pictures of 6 - 60 semi drunk people staring at their phones and newspapers with the caption "now what" 

manishm Platinum

In case you also travel a lot due to business, best way to get maximum out of these promotional programs to join multiple programs like Marriott Rewards/Hilton Hhonors.. I maintained Platinum Status with Marriott and Diamond with Hilton (now a days all such program matches the status in case you have one with any of the group)

For frequent travellers like me, it is easy to get nights required to maintain status in both programs.. current Marriott promotion is over for me as i completed 6stay by end of June and from that point onwards, I will continue earn points at normal rates till sept 2016 till Marriott announces Fall Bonus Promotion..

During this period, I would prefer to switch to Hilton Hhonors during the remaining period onwards as they offer unlimited 2x points with each stay till August 2016 ..Points calculation is also same.. 10points/$1 plus 50% Bonus.. good thing is that you get bonus..

Platinum

And HH actually credits all of your points without a discussion. Now that's the truth...Ruth!

Zonahiker Platinum

Is there a Summer Promotion going on? I see nothing advertising one on my account page.

Platinum

There is, here are details of mine and many others got the same - call the elite line or whatever one you can based on your status:

2016 Global Promotion

Earn up to 12,000 bonus points — and get a chance to win our summer sweepstakes.*See Details

Earn with your exclusive member offer — and as a Marriott Rewards® Credit Cardmember, get an extra 2,000 points. It’s easy:
      • Register by September 5, 2016
      • Stay** at participating properties between May 24 and September 5, 2016
      • Earn 2,000 bonus points on every paid stay, starting with your second stay, up to 10,000 bonus points
      • Get an extra 2,000 points after your 6th stay just for being a Marriott Rewards Credit Cardmember
      Enter our sweeps when you register, and again with every night you stay: 100 members will win 100,000 points – for a total of 10 million points.

Terms and conditions

Marriott Rewards® 2016 Summer Global Promotion Terms and Conditions

1. *A ‘stay’ is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
      2. Registration is required.
      3. Marriott Rewards® credit cardmembers who register for this promotion by September 5, 2016, will earn 2,000 bonus points on every paid stay, starting with their second paid stay, plus an additional 2,000 points after their 6th paid stay — up to 12,000 bonus points for stays made between May 24, 2016, and September 5, 2016, at participating Marriott® properties.
      4. The member receiving this offer has been specifically targeted and this offer is not transferable.
      5. Bonus points will be awarded to the member’s account within 3-5 business days after the qualifying stay.
      6. Awards are not transferable and may not be given as a gift.
      7. Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit and Marriott Vacation Club®owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit.
      8. Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights or stay.
      9. Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion.
      10. For a list of current Marriott Rewards participating brands, visithttp://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.miOpen in a different browser tab .
      11. Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton®, will count toward achievement.
      12. Rooms booked through most third party online retailers and select travel agency bookings are ineligible to earn for this promotion.
      13. Chase Bank USA, N.A. is not responsible for offer fulfillment or the provision of or failure to provide the stated benefits and services.
      14. All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply. Seewww.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.miOpen in a different browser tab for more information.
      15. Visit MarriottRewards.com/BonusOpen in a different browser tab or call 888-MARRIOTT (888-627-7468) for complete details.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...