17 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2016 5:40 PM by pilam76 RSS

Suggestion: Maid Gratuities

bigdogbill Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am so guilty of forgetting to tip the Maids and was wondering if Marriott would consider upon checkout to have an option of adding a Maid gratuity to the final bill (like a tip at a restaurant)?

With over 750 night in Marriott properties I have never had an issue with an unclean room and this is one of the reasons I remain loyal to the brand.  These are hard working people and if if could be easier to reward them more I would be all for it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Suggestion: Maid Gratuities
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Bigdogbill

this is an interesting topic/question on several levels.  First of all, and at the risk of being roundly booed, while they do provide good service, isn't that their job?  When was it decided that their good work should be addressed by supplemental pay from guests?  In the biggest picture possible, when did it become necessary to pay extra for good service and not simply expect it?  Also, why should this be dumped on us, the traveling public, as opposed to challenging their employers to pays the top performers more than others?  Like I said, most will not agree at all with me on this, and I'm ok with that.  If you ask what the difference is between these service providers and hostesses, waitresses, and waiters, I would think that it is much easier to quantify extraordinary service from the waitstaff as you are there to observe it as it happens.  In a hotel room, you simply return to find your room clean and organized.  Again, isn't that their job?  How do you quantify above and beyond performance?

In regards to the hotel offering a TIP as a line item probably exposes someone to taxation, as well as the need for some accounting work to keep track of it all.  I would think it is very unlikely this would ever come to pass. 

Please understand that I often tip people for superior work, but those that I do are usually self-employed folks.  Not folks that are employed by someone who should bear the brunt of their salary.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jonsummers Gold

Maybe if they are "better than I deserve" ???

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

It is interesting how somewhat random the little envelope is for maid tips. I find it less that half the time . It becomes a good reminder and it will make sure they take it. I have left money near the tv and when I get back at night it is still there

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

They are paid a sub-minimum wage, based upon the expectation that they will receive tip income!

Platinum

They as in restaurant workers perhaps - but not housekeepers

pilam76 Platinum

wouldnt get booed by me!!! it is their job! like someone else said, do you tip a bank teller? no. While housekeepers may be getting paid a small wage, it is not like a server at a restaurant who gets paid way less than minimum wage.

Personally, the $6 courtyards charge for a beer at the market, take a percentage out of that and give it to the housekeepers.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

bigdogbill, I like and support your idea.  jerryl, I have had the same experience.  shoeman1000, I hate tipping also, but I do it anyway as it's entrenched in our culture (at least in the US), and if I can afford a hotel room, I can certainly throw down a buck or two for the cleaning staff.  I would also add that the IRS considers tips taxable income.  Tips must be reported.  Whether people actually do report them or not is probably questionable.  One of my law partners just represented a dancer who had failed to report tips as income over her career, and the IRS finally caught up to her.  She is now in jail.  Last week, each time I tipped housekeeping, each day I received a handwritten note from my housekeeper thanking me (at Boston Marriott Copley Place).  When I stayed at the Metro Center DC, my housekeeper literally ran down the hall after me saying thank you and was so genuinely pleased that I had been so generous.  If that doesn't make you feel like you did the right thing, time to check your pulse and see if you're still alive.

Platinum

OK, as a fellow semi-old guy, I have to chastise you officially-and-non-officially old guys and say that "maid" is not a word one should use these days - it's "housekeeper". Sorta like calling an admin assistant a "secretary" That said, I'm always concerned that if I leave a nice tip once, it'll be expected from there on out since I stay in the same hotel, same room, for a looooong time, just 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. I think I'd rather leave an envelope during the holidays if anything, but yes, I kind of agree with shoeman1000 that everyone seems to think they deserve a tip lately. The one that gets me is the barista where you stand in line, place an order, and then they flip their little Ipad mini around at you and there are 3 choices of tips starting at 15%! OK,...ait - they have the coffee, and I'd like to pay for some. That's the product/service being provided, and there's a lot of profit built-into this transaction as well. If the owner is paying minimum wage, how did that become my problem? They are not waiting on me, or even bringing it to my table if I sit down while they are making it. Grouse grouse, *****, moan, whine, etc...

mustanggt Platinum

The hotels should pay all their staff a fair living wage whatever that amount is.  If they then have to increase the cost of an overnight stay by a few dollars then so be it.  If someone is willing to pay $250 per night at a full service Marriott, I'm sure they would be willing to pay $255 (that incremental $5 could be used to compensate the housekeepers, and others) rather than all the silliness of tipping, which is so random.  When you go to your local bank and make a deposit do you tip the teller because they were efficient and credited your account with the correct amount?  Employees should be paid a fair wage and employers and customers should expect excellent service at all times!

bigdogbill Platinum 7 Reviews

Yes, us semi-old guys are not in touch with the politically correct language these days. Not sure if my military ways or stubborn demeanor will ever adapt.  You and shoeman1000 bring up good points. I too get frustrated when people expect a tip for just doing their job. I just want an easier way to reward people for superior service and maybe that answer just lies with me being more disciplined and NOT forgetting to leave that gratuity and not to propose a new system. Last thing I want is to give the IRS another method to collect money.  They have taken more than their share out of my behind over the years.  Appreciate all the responses on this.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

bigdogbill please keep in mind that certain people are paid a sub-minimum wage based upon the expectation that they will receive tips to supplement that wage.  I know this applies to restaurant servers and I believe that it includes  hotel maids.  The rational is that the customer will provide a certain level of income to these people based upon the quality of service.  I typically tip maids $2 per day for basic service, $2.50 for a good job and 3$ for above and beyond.  If the service does not reach the $2.00 level, there will also be a complaint to the hotel or housekeeping management.

I would prefer a system where an adequate wage was paid and I did not have to tip, but that is not the current world we inhabit.  Joes Crab House, recently announced that they would do away with tipping and pay the staff accordingly and they quickly backtracked on this decision due to negative reaction. 

boomer Platinum

I do like the idea of being able to add a tip to the bill.  Maybe a Marriott APP enhancement.  I usually leave at least $2 a day on the bed with a note saying "Thank you" but honestly there are some days when I am tight on time and realize that I do not have any small bills on me.

boomer Platinum

I do like the idea of being able to add a tip to the bill.  Maybe a Marriott APP enhancement.  I usually leave at least $2 a day on the bed with a note saying "Thank you" but honestly there are some days when I am tight on time and realize that I do not have any small bills on me.

boomer Platinum

boomer Platinum

boomer Platinum

I do like the idea of being able to add a tip to the bill.  Maybe a Marriott app enhancement.  I usually leave at least $2 a day on the bed with a note saying "Thank you" but honestly there are some days when I am tight on time and realize that I do not have any small bills on me.

pilam76 Platinum

This is way off topic but speaking of tips, I hate going to a Moe's Southwest Grill and they have a spot on the credit card receipt for a tip. HUH? What is next? Tipping at White Castle?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...