24 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2016 6:54 PM by peymanagement RSS

Expired Reward Points: Is there a waiver?

BrownQTE Member
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a waiver of any type that can be used to restore expired reward points?  Apparently, 850 points of mine expired the 11th of this month and I was unaware?  I am VERY disappointed his this could not be brought to my attention prior to them expiring. Has anyone experienced this and if so were you able to get the points reinstated.  I look forward to hearing your stories.  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Expired Reward Points: Is there a waiver?
    AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi there,

I'd be happy to look into this for you. Please check your inbox for my direct message and we'll work from there.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mustanggt Platinum

Hey BrownQTE.  Marriott did a pretty good job announcing the change in their policy whereby points would expire in two years if there is no account activity.  Activity includes using some of your points or a qualifying stay.  Once you have qualifying activity the two year expiration date resets.  When you look at your account online and go to the "activity" section, your points expiration date is listed at the end of the activity listing.  If you have had recent activity, then you have a legitimate complaint.  If not, then consider this a warning shot over the bow to generate some activity in your account to protect your balance. 

peymanagement Platinum

let us know how you make out.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

850 points?

peymanagement Platinum

ya I thought the same and I would be happy to send it to him, but it is important to him

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've been a Marriott member for about a decade now and when I joined there was a disconnect as Marriotts T&Cs had an expiry policy but in practice it wasn't followed and the advertising blurb clearly stated points never expired. I felt that an odd policy as it forced Marriott to keep long dormant accounts open practically forever and it left the dormant points as a liability on the books, again for the same time. Long term such a policy is unworkable, and Marriott was the last major scheme without an expiry policy. The change, when it came, wasn't unexpected, and I think the expiry parameters are very generous. Emails were sent and the account page on every account changed to make clear the expiry date. All fair.

So, whilst I can see the frustration of a very irregular Marriott member returning to their account and finding it closed and the points vanished, it was publicised and is a sensible policy. Marriott also has very good customer services and I suspect they will reinstate points for a while to those that raise it, so I'd call.

But like painedplatinum I do question all this for 850points. That's worth around $5-$10... Lots of hassle for such a small sum, I found more than that down the back of a sofa I chucked out!

peymanagement Platinum

A bit low on the R-O-M scale as well.

No points in trundling out the old Rant-O-Meter here, as it's not a rant, it's a perfectly balanced question and putting such a post through the R-O-M would probably bust it due to excessive reasonableness!

Platinum

brightlybob  but that's what the "delicate" setting on the R-O-M is for - even the Maytag repairman knows that!

Huh, this is Insiders, the delicate button is rusted in place as its never been touched

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

You might need to run this one through again. It's looking more like a one and done post which should move the needle.

As for the initial comment. I thought that no account activity for 2 years would trigger all accumulated points to be erased. Based on what I understand, if 850 points "expired" that means the entire account balance was 850 points and that no qualifying activity occurred for two years. Check my math(s) but at 10 points per dollar (with no elite bonus) wouldn't an $85 night yield 850 points?

Reading over the FAQ, https://www.marriott.com/Images/Rewards/Points_Policy/Points_Expiration_FAQs_2.2.16.pdf

there is an email notification if you are opted in to receive communications. Also, once points are gone, there is no way to restore them.

I agree your math, bejacob, a basic member would receive 850 points for spending $85.

And when redeeming those 850 points (with lots and lots more) those 850 points would redeem for $5-$10.

All this to try and retrieve points that when redeemed will be worth back-of-the-sofa small change!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Maths brightlybob, NOT math! 

Shush there Tommo781, I'm speaking 'murikan, as it's bejacobs language

And it's "be nice to colonials day"

peymanagement Platinum

Tommo781 and brightlybob, just for my education, how do you get maths, math is the short term for mathematics which already has the s on it ?

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Exactly peymanagement.  Maths is short for mathematics.  Mathematics has an s at the end, and is a plural.  To shorten it, the result needs to still be plural, therefore maths.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

You'd think these crazy English folks invented the English language. Oh, wait...

peymanagement Platinum

But it is not plural. Is it? Doesn't it just happen to end in s

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Oh no peymanagement it isn't as simple as that!   I will quote from web sites.

The wordmathematics” can be considered as a singular and as a plural noun. Both the Oxford and the Merriam-Webster dictionaries say the word is plural – hence the s on the end.

"The word 'mathematics' is one we all know and love, but can we all agree on its part of speech? Mathematics. It is a noun, obviously, but is it in the singular or the plural form? Many just prefer to shorten 'mathematics' to a mere one syllable for convenience. In North America, the word 'math' is used, but the rest of the world uses 'maths'."

Here in the UK, we come under the rest of the world! 

peymanagement Platinum

Thank  you, that is interesting. So would you say Maths is difficult or Maths are difficult? We would say math is difficult,

English is a fascinating subject, so many variations on it and none of them correct, just different.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Right Bob, I was asking the OP if he really meant 850. I thought maybe he left off a zero or two. Reality is the 850 could be made up with a $10 bill. So, maybe the OP was not aware of the value.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...