25 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2016 9:08 PM by peymanagement RSS

San Antonio visit need suggestions for what hotels to stay in

jonsummers Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am seeking input and help planning a vacation to San Antonio and want to know what Marriott hotels I should stay in to explore the city and do the usual tourist stuff.

I would like to make a weekend trip out of it.  Something like a Thursday-Sunday.LamSan

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Antonio, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk
San Antonio, Texas, USA Autograph Collection Eilan Hotel Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
San Antonio, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
  • Re: San Antonio visit need suggestions for what hotels to stay in
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The San Antonio Hotels | San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter is a great hotel and excellent location on the Riverwalk.  It is nicer in my opinion than the San Antonio River Walk Hotels | Marriott Riverwalk.  Both are on the Riverwalk and in the midst of downtown.  The San Antonio Hotels | Marriott Plaza San Antonio is another nice property that is a two block walk to the Riverwalk and also a nice place.  Of these three my first choice would be the Rivercenter.

The JW Hill Country and Eilan are both located out of the downtown area about a 12-18 mile drive so you'd have to find parking in the city if you stay there. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seatexan Platinum

I came back after lunch to comment here as before lunch no one had, but I have to say...I totally agree with IAHFLYR!  

The drive from the out of town hotels like the JW (tho only 12-18 miles) can turn into 45min! I never had  a need to move my car when I stay downtown.  Art, history, architecture, entertainment, shopping, food, bars.. it's all RIGHT there

jonsummers Gold

Thanks SeaTexan  That pretty much solidifies my plans to make the downtown locations my first choices unless I have a car. 

Do they have an Airport shuttle to get to the hotel from the airport?

seatexan Platinum

No, none of them have shuttle service BUT you can call Airport Express and for $18 (one way) they will bring you from the airport to the hotel.  210-281-9900

jonsummers Gold

What a great tip and truly useful insight as to what is best downtown San Antonio.

Thanks IAHFLYR

peymanagement Platinum

Jon, I have stayed at both Riverwalk and Rivercenter. Both were good. I was at conference so that is a bit different than vacation. I like to walk in the evening and I would say that it was quite easy to get off the beaten track into some areas that raise your heart beat a bit not far from  Riverwalk I didn't wander as much when I stayed at the other hotel so I am not sure if the same. San Antonio is a nice city, I was completely underwhelmed by the Alamo, but San Antonio looked like a good place to visit.

seatexan Platinum

OMG! The Alamo is awesome! Ok well... this is coming from a VERY biased and overly proud Texan. 

I enjoy the grounds, garden areas, more than the interiors of the Alamo. I do visit each time I go for tradition sake and so I shall always, "Remember the Alamo!"

jonsummers Gold

I was there last when I was a kid so I probably have an overly romantic view of the Alamo as well.

peymanagement Platinum

Sorry my dear friend, I would not want to attack your patriotism for the one star, but I was just expecting something bigger. Yes it is awesome what there is of it, but Texas is known for big. Remember I come from the great white north.

jonsummers Gold

peymanagement  What is in the Great White North?

mustanggt Platinum

I have to agree that the Alamo is underwhelming.  Unfortunately we took the kids with us to visit it and they couldn't wait to get out of there.  I much prefer relaxing along the Riverwalk and sipping a margarita or playing a round of golf at one of the many fine courses in the area.  If you want to have some real Texas fun go to a rodeo, you won't be disappointed.  By the way, my favorite event was the "mutton busting", absolutely hilarious.

peymanagement Platinum

Jon, If you watch Wolf Blitzer on CNN at about 445 they have a weather report. There is a great vast land north of where the solid lines of the weather map show north of the 49th parralel, It is where the polar vortex's come from, sometimes Wolf calls them an Alberta clipper, that is a province in the great white north. But actually where I live is south of San Francisco on latitude, I look out on a great falls, that froze solid last winter, and was a beautiful sight, Henry Hudson found our place.  A couple of dog sled rides south we go to our annual NFL playoff game in Green Bay just to warm up.

Just kidding, I am Canadian.

jonsummers Gold

peymanagement  LOL I am laughing and disrupting my office here.  Thanks for the laugh.

Is there a place nicer than Fairmont up there? I stayed at the Grand Del Mar in San Diego and have been thinking I need to try other Fairmont properties if they are that nice.

peymanagement Platinum

In Canada, the Fairmount hotels are top line. To answer your questions depends on where you want to go. In Toronto, not far from where I live it is the Royal York, and I would say that while excellent it has been upstaged by the Delta, but in Vancouver, Banff, Lake Louise and Quebec City you can not beat a Fairmont. I retain their presidents club status and it is the best loyalty privilege going.

Oh the one in Victoria is pretty nice too.

Sorry to have fun with you.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

jonsummers, according to the McKenzie Brothers, it's:

mckenzie brothers great white north youtube - Bing video

And they've got Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas.  What more could you need?

seatexan Platinum

Fear not! I am not offended It's history is far bigger than it's physicality.  Besides, most people find it dull....I admit to being an overly patriotic Texan.

AZDesertRat Platinum

"Don't Mess With Texas" (or the USA).  For those hoping for a castle or magnificent structure, the Alamo as a building would be disappointing.  But it is the site of a huge event in the history of Texas and this nation, and a living monument to those famous heroes that took their last stand there.  Everyone should see it and take time to learn of its place in history.

So many things to see and do in San Antonio, along with the riverwalk and various amusement parks.  We really enjoyed the food at the Menger Hotel (next to the Alamo), the Lone Star Brewery/Horn Museum, Mi Tierra (mexican restaurant open 24 hours, with mariachis), and a mariachi mass in the San Juan Mission along the river (a great experience, where visitors - Catholic or not - are welcomed and even introduced).

jonsummers - I think staying downtown is the best idea.  You will have a great time in San Antonio!  Let us hear about your trip and what you did.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Well said AZDesertRat.  And another San Antonio Riverwalk spot just not with the kids is Dick's Last Resort, yep the same franchise spot. It's a blast to be sitting outside as folks walk by, crazy!!

peymanagement Platinum

IAHFLYR, Dicks is a great spot, I went with my 8 year old granddaughter, and she had a wonderful time, If I knew beforehand I may have gone somewhere else but the silly slogans on the hats flew over her head, it was great.

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

My vote is the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. This is a great hotel. Every room has a balcony. The pool is really nice. Great garden area with a resident Peacock that lives there. Just a few blocks from the River Walk but also to the right of hotel a couple of blocks is a great outdoor bar/restaurant with picnic tables, kids, area, outdoor TV screen, a really great and fun bar. I love this hotel. The service is excellent, perfect location without the hassle of the Riverwalk but still just a few blocks away.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Glad to hear a vote for the Plaza. brightlybob and I will be there in mid-September (a few days after we visit with everyone who will be in Houston for our Insider meetup). Seems to me, bob mentioned that it used to be a Four Seasons.

Sounds like we picked a winner.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, indeedy, bejacob, Four Seasons rooms for Marriott money. I doubt I'll ever pony up the groats for a real Four Seasons, so that's as near as I'll get

Such brand conversions can produce very nice hotels, the Birmingham UK Marriott was formerly a 5-star Swallow hotel, and the rooms are wonderful, lots of different shapes, generously proportioned with larger bathrooms and luxuriously deep baths. Worth watching out for if you want to savour (savor) a Marriott of a different flavour (flavor)

bushybushy Platinum

I've stayed at 3 of the Marriott Brands in San Antonio. Towne Place Suites, Courtyard Riverwalk and Marriott River Center and would say that the River Center was by far the best location for the downtown activities that I wanted.

The only negative I had was that the breakfast in the executive lounge was a disaster.Either no plates and food, or plates but no food.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...