6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2016 2:04 PM by pluto77 RSS

Santa Clara hotels during peak times

jonsummers Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Santa Clara hotels during conferences or peak times is way way expensive.  Normally like 100 a night jumps to 3-400 a night.  Even the low end places are like 280 before taxes.  Is there anyway to work around these or find affordable rates on hotels in the bay area?

Is the demand really that high?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Santa Clara hotels during peak times
    tommy_gunn Gold

I have seen this as well, as I work for a Santa Clara company and travel up there often. Even with my corporate rate I can never get the SC Marriott for under $220 on a good day (night) and most often $300+ when there are conventions or conferences held there. That is a great hotel though, awesome CL access and breakfast, and scene. Happened to be there super bowl week and saw all the players hanging out.

I have a trip planned in a couple weeks, and the SC Marriott was long-ago sold out and even the Residence Inn Sunnyvale Is $199/n with corporate rate. (they are very close to each other distance wise). I've never gotten a Marriott property in this area for $100/n or even close. I believe there is a Townplace down the street, but it has never been available in my booking tool to even see rates.

Even the substandard hotels like Biltmore down the street are usually $150-175/n... so IMHO if you are looking for $100/n that is a pipe dream unless you are willing to go to a wider distance radius or really really low quality. Even then I cannot see any hotel being that cheap because of supply and demand for the area. The demand is real. Realize there are 1000 executives every day flying in to stop into their company HQ, and probably even more sales reps flying in daily to call on those accounts.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jonsummers Gold

That is great help!  Thanks @tommy_gunn

That is even better to know that the Biltmore is not a place to stay.  I am currently booked one night at the Santa Clara Marriott but the other nights are sold out.  Maybe it was the weekend prices.  It is currently showing 142 a night at that location.

Do you ever get room upgrades at that location?

tommy_gunn Gold

NP, that is one area I know well for Marriott.

Biltmore is just old. Classic "paint a turd and it's still a turd" scenario. For what they charge, it should be much nicer. It's basically a re-painted Comfort Inn. You get a free breakfast (at least with my corporate rate) and it is nothing special. The onsite bar and restaurant need Robert Irvine to come do a TV remodel special edition.

Getting upgrades at SC Marriott are hit and miss because of the demand and sell-out ratio. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, just depends on how far out you booked and how early you check in. Either way elite status gets you a nice CL with food and view, and the morning breakfast spread is very nice in the restaurant area. The hotel also has a very nice pool area and 2 restaurants. It's usually pretty hoppin' at that place because of the area executives that use it.

I've also found the service there to be great. One of the gals in the CL has been at that hotel 17+ years, which is impressive.

jonsummers Gold

I stayed there 3 times and it was great!  Thanks for the advice.

tommy_gunn Gold

awesome! one of my favorite hotels

I also recently stayed up the street a mile or two at the Residence Inn Silicon Valley Sunnyvale 1, great second option for the area for a Marriott property. As an RI you get half the points, but they had a nice happy hour with beer and food, and the rooms are very large. I recommend if you cannot get the San Jose Marriott, which is sold out a lot.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

We stayed there last weekend.  Our room rate was $110.  It's a very solid property.  A little dated on the outside, but the inside is very nice.  The breakfast was very good.  We requested a mini-fridge, which they brought up and plugged in for us right away.  The last morning, I requested what I thought was a late check-out (noon) and they offered us 4pm.  The staff was wonderful and they didn't charge us for parking (they didn't even ask us about it).  It didn't appear that anyone was being charged for it.  The icing on the cake is that the points posted quickly and correctly.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...