1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 21, 2016 9:12 AM by carat RSS

Marriott Rewards Redemption, prepay in full

amwny Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I was looking at a Punta Islita for a future stay a travel package. I have a Category 5 package and  was planning to add the necessary points to book the Category 8 resort. However, I am somewhat baffled by the "prepay  in full"  designation for a point stay.  Usually, the heading  is simply Marriott Rewards Redemption where one makes the reservation and then calls Marriott Rewards to upgrade and apply the package.

My  impression is that I would have to do a dummy booking to determine if the desired dates  are available  for points, and  then call Marriott Rewards to both make the reservation and up-grade the package with points.

Has anyone had any experience with  a "prepay in full" rewards reservation such as I am considering?

Thanks.

Art

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards Redemption, prepay in full
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver
    Currently Being Moderated

Hi amwny.  I'd like to see if I can help.  Members are able to make a redemption reservation online and then apply the travel package at a later date. If you have sufficient points, a regular point certificate will be issued at the time of booking which we can then remove at a later date and upgrade as well as apply the travel package instead. We do not recommend making the reservation as a paid booking since that does not guarantee availability to use points.  If you would prefer, you can also call our reservations department (1-800-228-2100) to have them make the booking and then transfer you to the rewards department to have the travel package upgraded and applied on one phone call. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)