5 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2016 6:24 PM by brightlybob RSS

What happens if...

fistuk Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Here's a situation I couldn't find any answer for in the Marriott's policy:

You booked a suite (or any high level room) in a hotel but upon check-in you find out the hotel can only accommodate you in a lower level of room or even a regular room (due to any reason possible).

Marriott's Ultimate Reservation Guarantee and\or Guaranteed Room Type for it's members doesn't refer to such a situation, but only to walking you out situation or a different bed type situation.

Even if some of you think the Guaranteed Room Type policy does handle this kind of situation, you're wrong since the up to $100 compensation involved (depends on the hotel brand) will probably never compensate for the rate difference between the rooms.

So what happens in such a case? I couldn't find any reference to that in Marriott's policy... what do you think?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What happens if...
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi fistuk,

Great question. This would fall into the Guaranteed Room Type for Gold and Platinum Elite members. If this was to happen, the hotel would not charge the rate of the upgraded room type. They would change the rate to that of the basic room which is being occupied and provide the $100 compensation as well.

Hope this answers your inquiry. Thanks for the post! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fistuk Platinum

Thanks for your reply, deannad.

Allow me to bring up, as a related question, a rare case, but however, a very possible one:

If in this situation, where I booked a high level of room, I had a Look No Further rate which was actually cheaper than the cheapest room in that hotel (yes, it happened to me a few times already) - what would have happened then?

Obviously it won't be logical to charge me with the regular room rate (a higher rate anyhow), so I assume you're going to answer that they will still charge me with my lower Look No Further rate, but isn't that awkward? Personally I see it as a great anguish, since if I knew (or wanted to book the lower level type of room) in the first place I could have got an even lower Look No Further rate for that type of room! So nothing really happened in this special case, and the $100 compensation wouldn't have been an adequate compensation...

It seems there's something missing here, meaning that whoever came up with this policy didn't think it through completely. Am I right?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

OOoer, fistuk. You're making the lawyerly "what if..." section of my brain hurt.

I'd say this wasn't thought out with LNF in mind, and since the law loves loopholes you'll be left with $100 back, which is a darn sight better than other chains offer, but not as good as it could be...

fistuk Platinum

LNF is just an example... A simple situation where rates have gone up significantly is also possible.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I'd think within standard rates or would be pretty simple, there being a relatively regular spread between the standard and suite room rates. The earl problem is the one you've identified, the LNF reduction coupled with the different rates offered by OTAs leaves way too much variability.

MInd you, over 400 nights and I've never suffered either a walk or change of bed type, Plats are just too expensive to mess about like that.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...