22 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2016 9:55 PM by dansplan RSS

Is there even Customer Service Department at Marriott????????

Currently Being Moderated

I'm hoping that I will get a quick response via this method because sending email to Marriott customer care has been futile and a webform inquiry I sent two days ago never received a reply and I just gave up following a lengthy wait on Marriott's customer service 800 line which never resulted in my reaching an agent. To add to this frustrating experience, I would ask my questions directly with the hotel in Berlin, but there is no email address listed and I do not want to be charged with an international phone call for something that should be easy to answer on your end. At this point, I am ready to look at other hotel options for my 8 night stay in Berlin since Marriott's customer care has really fallen short and left me exasperated in responding to these very basic questions.

My questions:

1. I reserved a junior suite because it offers a sofa bed. I then saw that the hotel has other, less costly (at least this was the case two days ago and I might have missed the opportunity for reserving a lower rate for a smaller room) for a room with a sofa bed. However, there is conflicting information regarding furniture in rooms at the hotel. Kindly advise if there are sofa beds available in other rooms at the Courtyard Marriott in Berlin.

2. Does the hotel offer coin operated washer and dryer for guest use?

GaryW

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is there even Customer Service Department at Marriott????????
    peymanagement Platinum

gary, I understand your frustration, may I suggest something that used to work for me before I got a bunch of platinum benefits . Call any local Marriott hotel. when you get the front desk, explain your issue, they can put you through to a central reservation agent that can solve your problem. Be really nice to them as they will help you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Try this email, Gary (from the German version of the hotel's website):

Berlin Marriott Hotel

Inge-Beisheim-Platz 1

10785 Berlin

Tel: +49 (30) 22 000 0

Fax: +49 (30) 22 000 1000

Internet: www.berlinmarriott.de

E-Mail: berlin@marriotthotels.com

Let us know if it works, and good luck!

fistuk Platinum

He's referring to the Courtyard, not to the Marriott...

Oops!  fistuk, I didn't read very carefully.  But, still why not email the other property and see if they can give contact info for the CY?  They might be owned by the same franchisee.  Nothing to lose, is there?

Platinum

clebert that's certainly a good suggestion, but as you may or may not have read on this site, it's NEARLY impossible to find an email address for MOST Marriott properties. I'd say call, but we don't know if Garyw (his account is disabled - did someone get mad or did he leave?!) is even in the same country on a regular basis

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Very insightful and helpful information, peymanagement & clebert, thank you!!  garyw, would love to hear if you tried either of these suggestions.  If you did and they proved to be unsuccessful, us community managers are always around to help.  Feel free to reach out to any of us, AndrewT, deannad, lindseyh, or myself. 

The fact that Marriott is "crowd sourcing" "customer service" through these kinds of forums underscores the shortfalls in customer focus and a poor customer service function at Marriott. I have found other means to get information gaps filled, but this is beyond absurd.

jonsummers Gold

Do you mean that they are trying to save money or that they are passing off customer service to a forum instead of having real people do it?

I mean all of the above and more. Customer Service should be an inherently corporate function and the fortunes of a company should rise and fall on the strength of their customer focus. It seems as customers, we shouldn't need to hunt down information we want about products we buy. Marriott should make this all transparent and accessible. Sure, they may be trying to save a few dollars by doing a lousy job in making information clear and explicit on their web content, but they should also make it easy to find out more without having to search for hotel contact information to ask questions.  By deferring to a "crowd sourced" model for business-specific information, Marriott 1) saves a few nickels; 2) shunts responsibility elsewhere; and 3) irritates and alienates customers who pay for the services they offer.

jonsummers Gold

Very good point.  I understand your frustrations because recently when booking and trying to setup a trip to a destination outside of the USA I was not able to to contact hotel except by calling international long distance and even then it took several costly international phone calls to get my questions answered.  It would be nice if there was a means of contacting a person who could answer such questions and respond to requests. 

What I would envision would be something similar to a concierge service for future travelers. 

Before I book and spend lots of time and money scheduling around your property please help make me feel confident and safe planning on you and your hotel and services.  I want to be expect things to be taken care of and want to worry about my plans and not about hotel arrangements.  My focus is my event, family and experiences and the hotel may be only one small part of that.  Make that experience smooth please.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Hmmmm, those crowd-sourcing comments somewhat presumptive garyw

This place is a community, so you'll find both the regular day-to-day members, almost all of whom are very regular Marriott guests, and community moderators who are employed by Marriott. I am one of the members. carat, AndrewT, lindseyh & deannad are the moderators employed by Marriott. They ensure the peace is kept and provide Marriott input and help sorting out Marriott Hotel and Points related problems.

Us regular Marriotteers discuss travel, especially Hotels, mostly Marriott but you'll find plenty of mentions about Hilton, IHG, SPG and independents, travel, airlines (and TIPPLE - our upcoming meetup in Houston) and provide advice and assistance to each other and anyone new who seeks some help. We can provide input where the moderators really can't, for instance to a questioner asking which is best in Marriott group hotel in, say, Montreal, the Delta, Springhill or Courtyard? Or is it better to spend X points at one hotel, or Y at another? Does anyone know which hotels in Whistler offer Ski in/out? We're not unpaid crowdsourcing for Marriott CS, we're travel junkies who enjoy discussing, sharing and helping others get the most out of their travel and membership of Marriott Rewards, and other airline/hotel programs. But mainly Marriott Rewards as thats what we all have in common.

I hope this helps you understand this community a bit better.

To your questions, they're not something customer services will be able to answer off-hand as all the chain hotels (Marriott/Hilton/SPG/IHG) are owned by others and franchised/managed, so Marriott Corp doesn't know the precise configuration of every hotel room in the 4,100 hotels within the brands. Certainly offering a sofa-bed is not a required brand standard for Courtyard here in Europe, nor is a coin-operated laundry, though offering a full laundry service (place laundry in bag to be collected, washed, dried and ironed for next day return) is mandated at EU full service brands namely Marriotts, JW and Renaissances but not I believe at the limited service Courtyards. It doesn't mean Courtyards in Europe don't offer full-service Laundry, just that they don't have to. Now, whereas coin-operated self service laundry facilities appear quite commonly in hotels across the US, theyre very rare here in the EU. So whether a certain room offers a sofabed or certain hotel offers self service laundry facilities will vary from property to property here in the EU, with the self service laundry being particularly rare, so you'll need to contact the property direct to get the definitive response, though you could play "Chinese whispers" with customer services on the 800 number, giving the questions to CS and then having CS call the hotel to ask and having CS call you back with the answers, thereby avoiding the international call costs.

jonsummers Gold

One new feature that I have really enjoyed is the mobile app.  Inside of the mobile app I was able to directly communicate (I think it was the hotel) and get answers to several questions before I checked in.  It was nice to be able to setup that communication and hope to see that expanded.

peymanagement Platinum

Gary, without prolonging this, I am curious why you took all the trouble to register for this "crowd sourcing" forum when you have such hard feelings about it. It seems to me, that a quick call to the hotel in Berlin would have solved your problem. I called a hotel in Munich a month ago to ask them if they had a coin wash and it cost me less than a dollar for the call and I got a courteous affirmative response from a front desk worker.

On the other hand if your intent was to offend people, you did a pretty good job with me. I answered your question in the good spirit of this forum.

jonsummers Gold

I highly value an honest crowd sourced site!  DO NOT TAKE AWAY or water down this forum please!

Crowd sourced information is often much better than what you can get from marketing or sales persons.  While both have their place the information on here as well as clammy sites seems to really bridge the gaps and get real information into our hands.  I love the forums.

Also special thanks to the most helpful moderators here as well :

carat, AndrewT, lindseyh & deannad

peymanagement, what phone carrier and international service do you use?  I regularly call overseas, and Verizon charges me $3.39/minute to Germany and almost $7/min. to Hong Kong.  Maybe it's time to get a better plan!

peymanagement Platinum

Rogers or Bell .93 Canadian per min after 6. but usually I just use one of those cards that are 5 bucks for 30 mins. My point is however in the big picture of a European trip, the phone call is small potatoes to clarify any details, MyRogers also works for 10 CND per day anywhere in the world. I think yours is cheaper.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Skype is free. My wife spends hours every day calling internationally. Never pay a dime for international calls.

@garyw, try this one:  CY_Berlin@marriotthotels.com

AND, there is no onsite coin operated laundry but they do offer a send-out laundry service which is expensive.

Or at least, the two items above are what people are reporting on TripAdvisor.com which is usually a pretty good resource.

Insiders, I can't seem to tag @garyw.  Did everyone scare him off, or perhaps he's suffered @misterchk's fate?

hassmh Gold

A quick hover over his profile indicated (disabled) so either he felt intimidated by all the help he received from so many strangers that he removed himself, or he did something to get removed against his will. I would lean toward the former from his reactions to those trying to help him; it seemed more like he wanted to complain than to get actual help. A phone call to the hotel to clarify important details for an extended trip is well worth $5 or whatever it costs to call, ask, and get a yes or no answer to two questions. Why spend all that money for a hotel if you're not willing to spend a few bucks on a phone call to clarify whether they provide what you require?

Platinum

I declare our good friend garyw ONE and DONE unless he reappears to prove otherwise. I don't think people were that intimidating, but the tone of his topic let anyone know he was already at the end of his rope, so we should keep that in mind when replying. That said - The fact that he found this site (come on, it's not that obvious, right?) and spent all this time posting and rebutting makes me wonder why he couldn't find a way to contact the hotel and find out a simple thing. If he's a long time Marriott customer (we may never know) he may be gone from more than just this site over this incident either way.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...