32 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2016 7:21 AM by bpelican RSS

Bottled water at Marriott

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Over a recent 5 day period, I visited 4 full service Marriotts and 1 Courtyard. All had some variation of bottled water in the room. I think all had one or two small bottles of water available free of charge (maybe one didn't ) Several also included larger bottles with hang tags indicating how much would be charged to the room if they were consumed. The price was somewhere in the $3-4 range (I didn't look took closely as I had no intention of purchasing).

I did partake of the free bottles of water at least half the time.

What has been your experience with bottled water during Marriott stays? Did you buy? Would you? Or will you only drink the free stuff?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Bottled water at Marriott
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Seems totally hit-or-miss to me.  RC usually gives you complementary bottles and also has expensive Fiji water for sale in the room.  CLs sometimes have those mini bottles and sometimes don't.  I think CLs do have them more often than not.  Some properties give you two free bottles for making in-room coffee.

I never buy the water they have in room.  I do drink the free ones or use to make coffee.  I use a Brita pitcher at home and don't buy bottled water at home.  I will occasionally buy it on the road at a grocery or convenience store and schlep back to my room if the hotel doesn't have bottle water and the local water might be questionable. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I have a Camelbak filter water bottle that I almost always have with me. I've never purchased the in-room bottle of water, and often wonder how long that particular bottle has sat in that room.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We consume the bottle water from the CL or if free in the room, rarely buy the bottled water in the room unless we are completely parched.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

In my experience in the UK, I have always had at least one bottle of water provided in the room.  I will admit to being mean, and if we don't use it, I put it in a drawer or the fridge is there is one, so if we come back parched one day, we have plenty.

Executive lounges in the UK don't like food taken away (quite rightly) but are very happy for anyone to take a bottle of water.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Most Marriott FS hotels provide me with all the bottles of water that I request, without charge.  I don't know if this is because I'm Platinum or if this might be provide to all Elites, or to Gold and above.  I've never asked.

Seeing both the free water and the bottles for sale just got me wondering. I've often grabbed a couple bottles from the CL when that's an option. At the Edition in NYC, when evening turndown service was offered, bottled water was also available.

Marriott has certainly made free bottles readily available either in the room or the CL. It makes me wonder who would buy the larger bottles in the room. Marriott must occasionally sell a few or they wouldn't keep putting them out.

peymanagement Platinum

I have not found provision of water at FS properties to be an issue. Usually we are provided with a couple of bottles, when we get there and they are replenished through the stay. On the bottle of water that sits there with the $3.50 tag on it, I often wonder if that same bottle has been there since the hotel opened. Same goes for the tray of snacks at highly inflated prices.

hassmh Gold

Those snacks do get consumed on occasion, if I've been unfortunate enough to have brought my family with me to that location. They are great profit centers for the hotel, costing them very little and targeting people like my wife who will impulsively throw the snacks at the kids who are driving her crazy after a long day wherever we have been, instead of making them wait until we go back out for dinner in about 5 minutes to get something to eat. This causes me to automatically add 50% to what should be the cost of a trip, and still run over budget most of the time

AZDesertRat Platinum

I haven't and won't buy the bottled water for sale in hotel rooms, even if it is genuine artisian water imported from Norway.  At check in at the Triada AC in Palm Springs we were given 2 free bottles and found 2 more for sale in the room at $4.00 each.  They looked like this:05172016 Download 976.jpg

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I have only bought the Voss water one day when I woke up with a really bad hang over and had already consumed the two little bottles. I think it was like 4 bucks.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

II've found free bottled water is pretty hit-and-miss around European Marriotts, some do it, others don't, but all with a lounge are quite happy for guests to take out a could do bottles to their rooms. Ive never yet taken the tagged bottles...

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Drink the free stuff

mustanggt Platinum

I drink the free waters from the CL.  We usually bring one bottle of water with us in case the CL is closed when we arrive.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Tonight at the Lingfield Park Country Club, UK is an excellent example, 2 free bottles, one glass, one plastic - both sparkling!

Now as everyone well knows, Sparkling Water is the devils spunk, so I'm very happy I've brought my own bottle of Still for the night!

Platinum

I carry a complete kitchen sink with sprayer, temperature control, 5 filtration settings, and a parakeet to test local tap just in case this whole contraption fails. Sure, I have to buy an extra seat for it on every flight, but it pays for itself 10 times over in conversation and clients.

carmencam Member

I would only drink the free stuff.  On'y in case of a severe medical need would I drink a bottle of water that costs so much money, even though I make good money. I am frugal and wouldn't spend the money.

nuclearnomad Platinum

Old school here.  No way do I pay for water.  Only exception was when my daughter once opened a bottle when she didn't know any better.  I think that was $2.50 5 years ago. Anyway I will drink bottled water when it is free (concierge rm) but can't stand the idea of paying for it unless I am out of the country and don't trust the local H2O.

boomer Platinum

In FS sites I grab a few at the CL. In others I will usually hit a convenience store for a bottle or 2.  Very rarely will I drink the "tagged" water unless I am desperate.

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

I never buy the water and only drink the free stuff...I always stock up for the room from the CL when staying at FS.  I also have noticed that SHS, RI, and CY all offer a free bottle when checking in, in addition to the choice of item from the store.

Jsucool76 Gold

Only hotel I've stayed in so far with free in room bottles was the ritz pentagon city.

Most others have water for sale in room (as mentioned, $3-$4 no thanks) but rarely do I see free water.

When I was in germany this time last year, there was a massive heatwave and the hotel (Koln Marriott) sent out a letter to each guest stating that the fees for the in room bottled water would be waived, since their A/C wasn't really cutting it. Boy did I take advantage of that. The bottles were like 3 euro each, so it was a big money saver.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I don't understand that.  Most FS Marriotts seem to have free water.

lauriet Platinum 2 Reviews

IF I stay at Marriott properties that do not have concierge lounges, I always bring my own water bottle and re-fill it with the FREE bottled water in the exercise rooms. They alway have chilled purified water available. Why pay for more bottles when you can re-fill them there??

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Usually  drink the free stuff but often when I check in I ask and get a couple of bottles out of the store for free

pilam76 Platinum

I will drink the free stuff but sorry not going to pay $4-6 for a bottle of Fiji water. For me, bottled water is all the same. If Marriott made the water $1-2 sure I'd pay it but $4-6 is ridiculous.

So, it appears pretty much everyone drinks only the free stuff. Someone must purchase a bottle now and then or Marriott would stop putting the $3+ bottles in the room.

Insiders are smarter than the average (water-paying) customer.

pilam76 Platinum

Like I said, why pay $4-6 for a bottle of water when you can go to a supermarket or gas station and get water for $1-2???

abobastico Silver

Just drink the free stuff.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

bottled water.jpg

I read this thread while we were visiting Florida recently.  As you can see, the bottled Fiji bottle available in the room was $3.50.  We bought 28 bottles of the Florida water for $2.50 at a local grocery store.  I try very hard to find places where we can recycle the empty bottles.

We were offered unlimited bottles of cold water at the Springhill Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruiseport where we stayed our last night.  Cold water was also offered at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay front desk as well as in the Concierge Lounge.

At the Ambassador Wichita (Autograph property) free bottled water was available not only in the room, but also at the front desk and the fitness center.

I'm still puzzled. If none of us are buying the stuff, why is it still in the room at so many locations. Must be for the non-Marriott Rewards guests who don't know any better.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Somebody must buy it , but it's not me either.  When I run out of free water I go to the tap, Old School!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

bejacob

Someone must buy it, but its not me. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...