16 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2016 11:14 PM by ramoneur RSS

hotels with slow elevators

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I had an ok stay in a Marriott hotel last week;

the only thing that really irritated me was that the elevators seemed to take forever;

basically almost at all time (so not only during "rush hour")

there used to be (or is pre-prepared for?) 6 elevators shaft openings on every floor

(you can see the previous/prepared locations in the wall)

they two "lost elevators" seem not to be connected only to certain floors;

they're just, well, not there

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced ultra-slow elevator systems?

Are there design rules that a hotel has to adhere to?

It seems silly, but the slow elevators almost ruined the good impression I had about the hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: hotels with slow elevators
    ramoneur Platinum

...nobody has any comments/experiences?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

That is one annoyance that really bothers me. This happened to me more than once but luckily none were Marriott hotels. Don't know if it's designed that way due to the structure or not, but either way, you would think that they would fix it to accommodate guests better.

Been to at least two different situations at non-Marriott properties where the elevators were being renovated at rush hour and only one was available. Both seem to be scheduled maintenance according to the letters posted and this definitely persuades me to book my hotel stays elsewhere.

There is a problem that's much worse than a slow elevator though. I experienced this at a Hilton where the elevator decides which direction it wants to go when it wants.

1. We're on the 1st floor going up to the 5th floor.

2. Guests on the 2nd floor (yes second floor, who can easily walk the stairs one flight down) wanted to go down and for some strange reason, the elevator stops at their floor. They push 1st floor.

3. Elevator goes back down to the 1st floor.

4. This occurred at least one or two more times where guests from the 3rd floor or so did the same thing going down.

5. Got so fed up at one point I just walked my way back up from the 2nd floor to the 5th floor.

Which leads me to my second pet peeve. Why can't guests just walk the stairs if it's only one flight? I understand if you have walking problems (elderly or injured) but most of the time this is not the case. Staircase in a lot of these scenarios are not that far from the elevator either. In most cases, I don't even mind walking up a few floors(as much as 9 floors before) but when it's vacation time, I tend not to walk more than 2 floors since we already walked more than enough during the day.

So far (knock on wood), I don't think I ever experience much problems with elevators at Marriott properties. Some are a bit slower (FFI) than others but not to the point that I'm impatiently waiting.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I find all the courtyard elevators are slow. My guess is they use the same brand and type and if only two floors it is not so bad but if six it can seem like an eternity

ramoneur Platinum

I am at the Courtyard Puxi right now;

the elevators are quicker than average

nationwide Platinum

I find the slow elevator issue to be fairly common at FFI and CY properties.  That said, they only tend to have 3 floors in most cases (those that I've visited anyhow), so it's often just a minor annoyance.  And, as gk17 points out, I am happy to hit the stairs in these hotels.  By contrast, the elevator banks at properties like the Marriott Marquis at Times Square can find you waiting 5-10 minutes during morning rush hour.  I just try and beat the crowd to an early breakfast and can avoid the wait most of the time. 

nmballoonist Platinum

I've been in a couple of high rise Marriotts (JW in DC and Marriott Anaheim Convention Center) that now have new systems.  Rather than hitting an up or down button to call the elevator, you enter the floor you want to go to and a panel tells you to go to car C for instance.  No selection of floors inside the elevator.  Seems to be much more efficient in handling large numbers efficiently.  I expect we will be seeing more of these conversions.

peymanagement Platinum

yes the programmed elevators work great. I have been to one also in Anaheim, and the Gateway in Niagara Falls has them.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I saw that system for the first time at the NYC edition. All floors above 3 were locked and could only be selected by touching a room key to the elevator panel. I'll admit it was strange not seeing any buttons inside, but the system seemed to work well.

As for slow elevators, I recall an issue at the RC Pentagon City. One elevator was down for repair leaving two operating. On my final day, one of those stopped working leaving just one elevator to handle 18 floors. Not overly slow, just over capacity.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I experienced this annoyance at the Copley Marriott in Boston.  A wonderful hotel but it took us way too long to get to our floor. 

mustanggt Platinum

Funny thing, I just stayed at the Copley Marriott two weeks ago and found that the new elevator system worked very efficiently and were never crowded.  I do prefer systems that require you to swipe a room key to activate...Seems to add another layer of security to the guest room floors.

hassmh Gold

The slowest elevator I've ever experienced was at an RI in MA, I think from push of button to getting off was multiple minutes to go 1 floor. Of course the building was only 2 floors, so only needed it for luggage in and out, but out of habit hit the elevator button a few times when heading in or out and after waiting a few seconds remembered it's only one floor and walked around the elevator for the stairs. I'm used to being on a higher floor and with little kids sometimes multiple flights of stairs gets to be too much.

ramoneur Platinum

also very irritating:

when you need your card to go to a specific floor (enter card, then press button)

and card doesn't work

...so you get a free ride to a wrong floor, then have to get out, then have to go to the 1st floor to get your card remagnetized, then go to the elevator,

and wait...

ramoneur Platinum

I once missed the snack hour by this;

I had 20 minutes left when I got in the elevator;

but had to have my card remagnetized

and when I got the the 1st floor, a busload (literally) of people were just checking in

WAAAAHHHH!

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Something similar happened to us a couple of weeks ago.  We were on 5th floor, and called the lift to go up to the lounge on 7th.  The symbol above the lift that came definitely showed an up symbol.  Got in, put the card in the slot, and pressed 7.  The light for the 7th floor lit up!.  "Doors closing" said the voice - and the lift went down to the 4th!  Someone got in, immediately pressed ground (no card needed as it is not a guest room floor) and down it went again, even though 7 was still lit.  On the way it stopped at 3rd, 2nd and 1st for people to get in.  When they all got out, I put my card in again and pressed 7 again.  It lit up.  It went up, so the key card was fine.  It stopped at 8, even though 7 was clearly lit.  We got out and walked down a flight of stairs!

The card was fine for the rest of my stay, so I have no idea what went wrong that day.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Yep, I can relate...two properties come to mind with slow elevators: the JW in London and the Waikiki Marriott, especially in the am when the morning rush for breakfast is on. Plus both properties had one or two of the elevators that were U/S (unserviceable), which only made things even worse. People were complaining and for me I just bailed and took the stairs many times!!

Good cardio workout!!!

JD

ramoneur Platinum

imho slow elevator systems have two possible causes:

- sloppy programming / information handling --> fix it!

- underperforming mechanical issues (only using 2 shafts instead of 4, underperforming motors, etc.) --> fix it!

of course, I understand rush hour problems,

but outside these times?

elevators should be quick and efficient!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...