5 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2016 11:24 AM by hassmh RSS

Rewards?

jw2004 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I guess I need more of an explanation of my rewards account, I tried calling and the person on the phone was not forthcoming with info.

Ive had a Marriott rewards card and pretty much only stay at Marriott, for work and personal.  I use it a lot for work and thought I was receiving nights for all my stays.  When I called earlier I was told since I booked thru my company website I don't receive nights, all along I thought I was receiving nights, otherwise how do I have 31 for the year.  I guess I am earning other ways? 

Im a little frustrated, been in a Marriott for about a month, two different hotels, so I thought at minimum I'm earning nights, but now I'm told I'm not.  I could easily stay at another hotel, but always choose Marriot.

Very confused.

Thanks for the help in advance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rewards?
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi jw2004,

Welcome to the Insiders Forum! My name is Cara and I am one of the community managers here.  I'd like to apologize for the frustration this has caused and also offer my assistance.  I've gone ahead and sent you a private message to start the conversation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi jw2004,

To answer your question regarding the 31 nights you have in your account for the year are most likely from your Marriott credit card as you will earn bonus nights for dollars spent.  Your elite status shows Gold so I'm guessing you use that credit card often so you've accrued those 31 nights based upon spending plus and personal travel you've booked through Marriott.com.

Your other question regarding why you don't get credit for your other nights is most likely due to the company booking for you as contained in Terms and Conditions.  Here is a piece from the "Earning Points" section that explains it, number 1 is most likely what is happening based upon your description:

1. Point or elite night credit accrual is limited to individual travel and the room must be paid for individually by the Member or direct billed to the party responsible for paying the bill. If the room is master-billed, the charges are not eligible for Points or elite night credits.

If the Member attends a convention or group meeting and individually pays the hotel directly for the room, he/she will be eligible to receive Points and elite night credits for the stay. However, contract rooms, rooms reserved by corporations on an ongoing basis and master-billed rooms are not eligible to earn points or elite night credit. Military rates at certain overseas locations are subject to local restrictions and may be ineligible for points or elite night credit.

2. Rooms booked at the Marriott friends and family or the associate rate or at The Ritz-Carlton friends and family or the associate rate are not eligible to earn Points or elite night credits.

3. Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline.com, Tripadvisor.com or any other 3rd party online/mobile travel portal (regardless of how the hotel is paid) are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit. Wholesale rates, wholesale packages, Fam-Tastic® rates, travel industry rates and organized tours or package bookings are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit regardless of booking channel. If you are booking through a travel agent or other third party and do not know if your booking will earn Points, please ask your travel agent about the type of booking and type of rate he/she is making for you.

If your company is making the reservation and getting a corporate discounted rate then you might be out of luck.  If they are not getting a discounted rate then make them yourself, but either way make certain your Rewards number is on each reservation.  Also, who pays for the rooms they book, you or is it direct billed?

Hope this helps and I'm sure other Insiders will chime in with their corporate travel experiences and more information.

debbie123 Member

I did book directly this year at Marriott.com and my points are excluded.  They say it is because I used a third party.  I stayed for 11 nights.  I feel their website is very misleading and I advise to be very careful if you do book on Marriott. com.  I for one will not be booking with any Marriott again

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi debbie123.  Apologies for the frustration this has caused!  I'd like to take a deeper look into this for you and have sent you a direct message. 

hassmh Gold

At least with my company, we do use an internal travel agency that does the booking, and get corporate discounts at certain locations, but still I have gotten night credits and points every time. Rewards number attached to the reservation at booking and charged to corporate Amex in my name, so that helps. Perhaps they book direct with Marriott in my name, so doesn't count as third-party booking. I can use our corporate rate code on marriott.com and see the same rate as the agency books for me, so no funny business going on behind the scenes which is why Marriott typically excludes the third party travel sites.

I've never had a problem with getting my points or nights for either business or leisure travel, but perhaps that is due to my rather limited travel; 1-2 business trips and 1-2 leisure trips on average each year doesn't give much opportunity for problems.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...