4 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2016 8:07 PM by ramoneur RSS

air pollution in cities - how do/can you cope?

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I site I usually try to avoid checking is this one: http://aqicn.org/city/

Chinese air is filthy...

How do you guys and girls cope with the air pollution?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: air pollution in cities - how do/can you cope?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Another interesting post.  Coincidentally, I just ran across this article:

The most polluted city in the world isn't Beijing or Delhi - The Washington Post

I live in an area with frequent bad air quality.  On "bad air days," kids aren't allowed to have recess outside or practice sports and farmers/ranchers aren't allowed to burn anything.  Wood burning fireplaces have been banned. Carpooling is highly encouraged, and incentivized by employers.  California taxpayers are spending a ton of money on public transportation and clean energy projects and infrastructure, including requirements to reduce pollution for public utilities, oil producers/refineries and automobiles, and significant tax incentives are offered for hybrid/electric vehicles as well as home upgrades, such as solar, energy efficient appliances, windows, insulation, etc.  So much so, that it is politically controversial.  10 years ago, I rode my motorcycle to work one day/week to save on gas consumption, tried taking the bus (takes too long, as no express route), and carpooled.  My carpool buddy retired though, and haven't found anyone else to share the task.  I put off going to certain stores and places in town, unless it coincides with other places that I need to go, in an effort to save on gas.  Conservation makes sense on many levels.  Airlines are effectively finding ways to conserve jet fuel, to line their pockets.  I don't mind, as long as there is the co-outcome of keeping our environment cleaner. 

Last year in Paris, the metro was free on really bad air quality days, to incentivize less driving.

I would like to move back to the LA metropolis, but I have concerns about air quality (among other things), though the air quality is bad here too.  Living at/near the beach would help, I should think.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: air pollution in cities - how do/can you cope?
      lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Living in Oregon, I tend to take our clean air for granted at times. Visiting cities like L.A., Paris and NYC really open my eyes to just how bad air pollution can be. The last few times I've visited L.A. I've actually developed nasty coughs due to the air quality. I can't imagine what cities like Beijing are like, though I'd still very much like to visit!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...