13 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2016 8:08 PM by ramoneur RSS

flying and an increased dose of (cosmic) radiation

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I don't have time/energy right now, but I am planning to calculate in the near future how much extra radiation I am taking in just due to flying;

I am quite sure the resulting amount will still be negligible; but I am still curious...

I found some info at:

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/safety-and-security/radiation-and-health/radiation-and-life.aspx

What do you guys and gals think?

Typical µSv/yr 

Range 
Natural: 
Terrestrial + house: radon200200-100,000
Terrestrial + house: gamma600100-1000
Cosmic (at sea level)300

+20 for every 100m elevation

0-500
Food, drink & body tissue400100-1000

Total

1500 (plus altitude adjustment)
Artificial: 
From nuclear weapons tests3
Medical (X-ray, CT etc. average)370up to 75,000
From nuclear energy0.3
From coal burning0.1
From household appliances0.4

Total

Behavioural: 
Skiing holiday8 per week
Air travel in jet airliner1.5-5 per hourup to 5000/yr

The International Commission for Radiological Protection recommends, in addition to background, the following exposure limits: 

for general public, 1,000 (i.e. 1 mSv/yr) 

for nuclear worker 20,000 (i.e. 20 mSv/yr) averaged over 5 consecutive years 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: flying and an increased dose of (cosmic) radiation
    ramoneur Platinum

quick calculation:

Air travel in jet airliner1.5-5 per hour

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/safety-and-security/radiation-and-health/radiation-and-life.aspx

20 intercontinental, average 11 hours: 11 * 20 * 4 = 220 * 4 = 880  (estimated at 4; relatively high and long)

40 inland in china; average 3 hours: 3 * 40 * 3 = 360  (est. value to be 3; lower; relative more take off and land)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- +

total 1240 mS

...mkay

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I have read about radiation exposure from flying, and without verifying your data sources or analyzing the numbers, I choose to simply not worry about it. Flying on average about 55,000 miles/year, I am nothing like a true frequent flyer.  The way I look at it is, if long haul flight crews aren't dying from it (prolonged exposure to cosmic radiation), then it's likely that I have nothing little to worry about.

Message was edited by: pluto77

ramoneur Platinum

I agree

a few days breathing Beijing's air is far worse

(coals burning also generates radiation ;-))

...still I want to know;

and I will find out

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Beijing air quality is enough to keep me away from there.  Won't be visiting New Dehli any time soon either.

ramoneur Platinum

I am still young enough to be rugged and strong

(yes I know the results will check in about 10 years later)

...but I had days in Beijing where even I had breathing problem

if you have the chance, yes, avoid

the mountain-surrounded capital of Beijing makes the local coal mining and burning problem awful

and I am not even mentioning the terrible traffic problem

I once asked a taxi-driver when there was no traffic jam in Beijing

he turned out to have my sense of humor when he replied:

"on days where the moon is in the first quarter, on Sundays, between 02:00h and 03:15h"

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Good point about the flight attendants, Pluto. If they remain healthy we should be ok!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...