6 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2016 3:33 PM by peymanagement RSS

Pet Fee at "Pet Friendly" Locations

brander2016 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I am ashamed of Marriott, and angry as a Rewards member that a one-night stay at a TownPlace Suites resulted in the room costing almost double the price quoted on the website. We took a short trip to Galveston, TX and decided last-minute to bring the dog because we saw "Pet Friendly" listed as a feature of the hotel. We could've just as easily left the dog at home, as we would be back the following day shortly after lunch. Nowhere was there an asterisk that specified that this "amenity" would cost as much as the room itself. We only found out after driving an hour and a half to the hotel, and the woman at the desk called our room with a vindictive tone to inform me that I would need to sign a pet waiver and pay an additional $100 for having the dog with us. I asked her if there was any recourse, as the booking on the site gave no indication that we would be required to pay such a non-refundable fee. She gave us a "discount" of $25 for being Silver Elite members. Either way, I find Marriott's practice on this issue to be nothing short of deceptive business practice. I got an email from the manager of the hotel after leaving a bad review on the website. He essentially said I should've dug around on the website for their pet policy before taking advantage of the "amenity" -- I gave a one word response to him. Horsesh*t.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Galveston, Texas, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott TownePlace Suites Galveston Island Gulf Front
  • Re: Pet Fee at "Pet Friendly" Locations
    Platinum 4 Reviews

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, however its a buyer beware scenario- in that that since the pet fee is listed on the web site you should feel fortunate the hotel gave you $25 off.

I know your pain of pet fees first hand as I usually travel with my dog also. My advice: If your staying for just a night, pick LQ as pets always stay free or some of the IHG hotels where the pet fee is based on days stayed instead of Marriott's one time exorbitant pet fee.

Happy pet travels to you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

Sorry wesleywc, I was typing while you were posting almost the same response.

peymanagement Platinum

brander2016, there are quite a few posts on here about Marriott's fee for pets, most will agree with you that it is too high. I do however challenge you with your statement that "Marriott's practice on this issue to be nothing short of deceptive business practice". When I take the dog along, my experience is I get charged more times than not at so called pet friendly places (Marriott being one of the more expensive). There are a few chains that don't charge such as LaQuinta, . however I think you were being a bit harsh, pet friendly does not  always mean pets are free, and frankly looking at the website for the THS that you mention, I wonder how you could miss it, I did not have to dig very hard it is on their front page that there is a 100 fee,

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

the pet fee does sounds but what I don't know is does Marriott do any additional cleaning when the person with the pet leaves? If so it may not be too high if they do nothing then yes it is .

brander2016 Silver

Thanks for your response. I suppose my mistake was expecting that the information would be included in the "rate information" where it seems only logical to include it. As for the fee being on the location's front page, I don't see it there... where I would expect it to be when one of the amenities listed is "Pet Friendly": https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/glsts-towneplace-suites-galveston-island/

Nor is it listed in the "Guest Rooms" page: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-rooms/glsts-towneplace-suites-galveston-island/

So perhaps it's simply my ignorance or high level of expectation, but this detail should be listed under rates. It isn't, and that is, in my definition, deceptive business.

peymanagement Platinum

I am sympathetic to your concern about the amount that is charged. When you are on the booking page, always click on the "hotel details" tab. It gives the essential information about the hotel,  such as:

• a map
        • check in and check out times
        • describes the hotel
        • Breakfast details if applicable
        • pet policy.
        • etc.

I do this because there are sometimes a few add on charges that you may have not expected, parking mainly but it used to be internet.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...