19 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2016 11:12 AM by muppetwrangler RSS

Question about a stay for Megabobus

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I know the Megabonus ends May 15th.  Will a stay with check-in of May 15, checkout May16 still count, or does the checkout date have to be the 15th to be eligible?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Question about a stay for Megabobus
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey muppetwrangler!

We looked into this, and the stay must be completed on or before May 15 to qualify toward the 2016 Spring MegaBonus promotion. If a stay started before May 15 but ended after, the nights before May 15 would be counted. So, if you stay from May 13-16, two nights (13,14) would be counted.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Interesting. I think it does count. When we book the stay, we don't book it for the date of the check-out, we book it for the date of check-in. Certainly any nights that occur after the 15th wouldn't count if a stay goes beyond that, but by saying the stay has to be "complete" by the end date just shortens the promotion period by a day.

It seems to me that in past promotions a stay/night that begins on the last day of the period and ends the next morning had always counted. It's been a few years since I've had such a stay, but I do have one this year (1 night beginning 5/15). I'd be disappointed to find out it might night count.

bejacob,  I, too, would've thought it counts, but I've never stayed on the last day of a promotion, so I wasn't sure.  I also have one night starting 5/15 and was hoping it would still qualify for the MegaBonus.  This confuses me, because If I were to book a room for December 31, that stay would count for 2016, and not 2017.  Or am I wrong on that one, too?

I think you're right. It would post in the new year, but count in the one the was just ending. I'm sure others can chime in on this. I've never stayed on 12/31. Four years ago, I did have a promotion that ended on 4/30 (one of those make 2 stays to earn a certificate). I stayed on 4/30 with a check out on 5/1. That stay counted. I guess we'll find out next week if this Sunday's night counts. It will be my 25th night, so it would be max out bonus part 2 for me.

Update. I just got off the phone with MR customer service for a separate issue and asked about this. The agent first told me that the stay on 5/15 (5/16 check out) would not count toward the MegaBonus. Upon further questioning, the response was, "I don't know if it will count." At least we're all in the same boat.

Here's the exact wording from the terms and conditions for the promotion

1. Marriott Rewards members who register by April 15, 2016 will earn 15,000 bonus points after 20 paid nights plus an additional 3,000 bonus points for every additional paid night — up to a maximum of 30,000 bonus points for nights stayed between February 1, 2016 and May 15, 2016, at participating Marriott®properties.

It's easy to interpret the end date as either the check-in or the check-out date. I'll be watching my account over the next few days to see what happens when that final night posts. It will be important to file that info away for future bonuses.

Even without that last night, I hit 24 nights and picked up 27k points and a free cat 1-5 cert. Not bad. Oh, and I still have part 3 to complete and a couple months to do it. So, no complaints here. Now it's just a matter of curiosity to see which night is the "last" night of the promotion.

peymanagement Platinum

I read it the way that you do bejacob  i.e if one books a night it is the night you book it not the night that you check out.

LOL I think we are in for a video review.

Let us know if the reservation for the night of the 15th will be counted towards the MegaBonus.  I had a schedule change so ended up canceling my stay for that night. 

A stay that begins on the last day of a promotion (in this case 5/15 with check-out on 5/16) does count. Everything has now posted to my account. I ended the promotion period with 2 stays (1 free certificate), 25 nights (30k points), plus 4 of the 5 nights needed to complete part 3 (4k points) with a couple months to make one more night (an additional 1k points).

So for future bonuses, a night will count even if it begins on the last day of the promotion.

Well then, there's the proof that it does count towards the promotion.  The information given by the moderator was incorrect.

When was offer #3 unlocked?  After attaining 20 nights or 25?

After 20 nights, though for whatever reason, I did not start earning nights toward that one until night 22 instead of night 21 (thus earning 4 of 5 nights already - nights 22 thru 25).

Was this your offer?

• Register by April 15, 2016
            • Stay at participating properties between February 1 – May 15, 2016
            • Win #1: Earn 15,000 bonus points after 20 paid nights plus 3,000 bonus points each additional night, up to 30,000 bonus points
            • Win #2: At the same time, earn a free night after two paid stays (register separately in your online account)
            • Win #3: Unlock a new bonus points offer in your online account after you win #1 and #2

I stayed 20 nights, received 15k bonus points, but never had win #3 unlocked.

Yes. I completed my 20th night on 5/7 which posted to my account on 5/11. Offer #3  showed up that same day. I registered immediately and began earning for my stay beginning 5/12 (my stay on 5/11 didn't count toward part 3).

I completed my 20th night on the 15th, which posted on the 17th.  I'll have to get a mod to look into this for me. carat, can you help?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for looping me in muppetwrangler. Taking a look into this for you and will circle back via private message once I've received clarity. 

bejacob, I was informed that with this offer, 25 nights are needed to unlock offer #3.  This Megabonus is mega confusion!

Confusion for sure. Even the customer service line wasn't certain. They did think that the 20 nights needed to be achieved by a certain date (no idea what that date might have been). It's also true that no everyone was able to unlock a third offer.

Based on what I know, I think you should be gotten offer #3.

It's possible that since you just reached 20 nights as the promotion came to an end, no additional offers could be unlocked. That seems a little suspect to me, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

There was nothing in the T&C indicating that the nights needed to be achieved by a certain date within the Megabonus time frame (Feb1-May15).