15 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2016 8:44 AM by AZDesertRat RSS

Suggestion: Add total $ spent on CC for Elite Credit's Earned

gimp08080 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Guys,

One thing I've been thinking about and I don't think I've seen this anywhere.  Please let me know if I'm wrong...

So, we are supposed to receive 1 Elite Credit for each $3,000 we spend on the Marriott Credit Card.  Where does it show that running total?  Shouldn't I be able to see how close I am to my next Elite Credit or at least see how much I've spent this year to foot to my balance?  Not sure if this is feedback that should go to Chase or Marriott, but I thought I would start here.  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Suggestion: Add total $ spent on CC for Elite Credit's Earned
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Fabulous, stupendous, tremendous, awesome idea!  Probably should be addressed with Chase bank for sure, but great that you've posted here as well.  Best Marriott Rewards suggestion - of the year!  Greater Team?  Any help here would be - Greatly Appreciated!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I bank at Chase for checking, savings, business, and Marriott (and United) credit cards. All are in one convenient location. I can see the "balance" and activity of any account or card; for Marriott I simply "do the math" using a current year-to-date totals.

peymanagement Platinum

Remember, the credits per spend is a USA only perk. However don't you find the info in your "nights detail" dropdown screen in Account overview?

gimp08080 Gold

This is true.  You do see the total credits earned.  What I'm looking for is that I'm X dollars away from my next elite credit.  To pingreeman's point, we can a'ways, "do the math," but I was just looking for a simpler way to let you know how far you are away from achieving another Elite Credit.

hassmh Gold

Actually you can't always "do the math" unless you have a running total back to the beginning of the card. I've tried to do the math and it's possible to get close, I got within $500 the one time I tried and it could be refined over time, but without some effort and tenacity it is not possible to get an exact number for the amount needed for the next credit.

If Chase is already tracking the number, why not make it visible to the cardholder and make it easy? In fact it might stimulate just a bit more spend especially near the end of the year to get that next credit for those of us who aren't Lifetime yet, so it can roll over to the next year and count twice!

Unfortunately it's not up to Marriott but rather Chase's responsibility to do something for the customer here, so unless there's a Chase rep on the boards (which I haven't seen), then this discussion will likely not be seen by anyone with influence to do anything about it. If there's a similar board for Chase CC holders where such a suggestion could be made, we need to take this suggestion there!

AZDesertRat Platinum

My experience is similar.  Seldom can reconcile the amount spent with the card and the nights credited after receipt of the billing statement.  I gave up trying to figure it out, and now just look back six months at the total spend and the number of nights received to see if they seem correct.  On a month-to-month basis, I can't do it.  It would be helpful to have an explanation of the process or algorithm used to post card spending dollars as bonus nights earned.  In addition,gimp08080's "running total" idea is a good one and would eliminate much suspense and confusion.

pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

Hmmm, I have no trouble finding how many nights stayed/elite nights credit and the accounts overview page when I'm signed in to Marriott.com. Not sure why you are not.  Of course, the respective credits for dollars spent don't post (show up) until after that month's statement has closed. It also shows nights stayed/lifetime status directly under the visual picture (sorry, not sure how to 'cut and paste').

hassmh Gold

It's not a question of the elite night credits on the Marriott site, but rather how much spend is required on the Chase CC to get the next credit. The association of spend to credit is not transparent at all, and can only be tracked with significant effort. It should not be too difficult for Chase to put a number on the account information showing how much spend until the next credit; they must keep track of this number already in order to issue the credits appropriately.

Marriott cannot make that change of course, but perhaps someone can refer the question to the appropriate Chase department. I would if I could, but have no idea where to go for that.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I hate to admit it, but I guess I'm a nerd.  I track the points posted to my Chase account each month and account for the variance in credit (5x, 2x, 1x).  I insure that I receive the proper credit for nights. 

You can go to your Chase account and see what has been processed and what is pending on your account... this should give you a really good idea on your spend and how much more you want to put on the credit card to achieve however many nights you are looking to hit.  I could be wrong but I thought the spend per month accumulated and posts as you hit the $3,000 spend vs your billing date???

hassmh Gold

Yes, I very much agree with tracking everything to ensure proper posting, but without knowing where you stand on the overall Chase spend, there's no way to know EXACTLY how much is needed to get the next credit. I don't keep track of overall spend from beginning of the account, just verify the monthly numbers, so it would be nice for Chase to make this visible so we can know how much carried over from the prior month and therefore how much spend is needed for the next credit.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

To your point, I would think this would benefit Chase to do this as if you were looking to get an additional credit(s) you may make a purchase that you were putting off to achieve your goal.....

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I contacted Chase today to submit a travel notification and while on the phone, asked about pinning down the elite night credit for each incremental $3,000 spend.  The representative was very customer service oriented and seemed very knowledgeable.  Here's what she told me:

• The spend count starts at zero every January 1st.  So say on Dec. 31st, my total spend for the year is $37,000, I would have earned 12 elite nights ($37,000/$3000 equals 12 elite night credits, with a remainder of $1,000.)  The remainder spend gets tossed, and the count starts back at zero on Jan. 1st.  I'm not saying that what she told me is correct, or even that I like it (no, I don't want the spend remainder at the end of the year to not count towards my next elite night credit, but this is what I was told.)
    • She stated that it can take up to 6-8 weeks for the elite night to post, and that the process of posting the next elite night is initiated as soon as the spend threshold is met, not at the next billing cycle.  In my experience, it posts much, much quicker, like within a week.
    • She also was able to tell me how much I had spent since January 1st, and how many elite nights I had earned this year (she was absolutely correct), and in doing the math (Total $ spend to date since Jan. 1st/$3,000 equals # nights earned to date, plus remainder spend), I was able to finally ascertain exactly where I am at in my spending towards my next elite night.  I now have a starting point with which to finally begin tracking this nonsense data for myself.
    • I agree, it would be nice if Chase posted this on the monthly statement, but at least I now have a way to begin tracking my C/C nights earnings.  I'll be watching closely between Dec. and Jan. to see if what I was told matches up with my spending and my nights credited.

AZDesertRat Platinum

pluto77  Thanks for sharing this helpful information.  Can't wait to review my own account history and see if I can confirm it personally.  Not happy to hear of the loss of year end spend credit, but at least if it proves to be accurate one can try to plan around it in December.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Great info pluto77!  I had no idea that each calendar year was a reset on the Elite night Credit spend/earnings.

AZDesertRat Platinum

pluto77 -  The information you provided is spot on.  I went back to January 1 and confirmed it.  Finally able to correlate spending with elite night credits.  Thanks again!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...