7 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2016 8:11 PM by ramoneur RSS

stories about NICE things during air travel

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

There are already many topics about worst flights ever, bad experiences while booking, checking in, etc. related to air travel;

for example this one:

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/160022#160022

This thread/topic is for posting your stories about nice things happening during your air travels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: stories about NICE things during air travel
    ramoneur Platinum

while flying on my birthday, I was very surprised, and moved, to find they made a birthday card for me:

20160430 - birthdaycard.JPG
    (I left out the  lower part with 12 names, that signed this card)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Nice touch!   Interesting that you flew KLM, presumably both you and the pilot are Dutch, but the note is in English.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

ramoneur, I have been the fortunate recipient of some very nice service over the years:

1)  A couple of weeks ago, my flight to SJU was 4.5 hours delayed, and the AA agent in the Admirals Club got me on a different flight and got the gate agent to reopen boarding to let me on at the last minute.  So I actually got to SJU 30 min. earlier than expected.

2)  Once I was traveling with a non-contagious medical condition and very clearly disabled.  I was struggling with my bags, it was almost 100 degrees and I looked like I'd practically melted, and I arrived at ORD for my UA flight late and missed the flight due to my own fault and trying to travel when I probably shouldn't have (it was for work).  The UA agents helped me get on another flight even though it was my fault I missed mine, and they moved me to the front of the security line and helped me with my bags, etc., and were very, very kind about it.

3)  When I signed up for TSA PreCheck, I had an appt. at ORD that was running about an hour behind.  I knew I might miss my AA flight so I called AA from the customs office to see if I could move to another flight.  The AA agent said there were no flights available that day and there would be a change fee if I switched, so she recommended that I get to the gate as soon as possible and work with the gate agent to see if I could get on another flight if I was late.  I did miss my flight, but the gate agent worked with me to put me on standby for another flight and I got to my destination on time.  He sat there on the computer for at least 10 minutes looking at all the options and trying to figure out how to get me to the airport or a nearby airport, even though all the flights were full.  He was super patient and never scolded me for missing my flight even though it was 100% my fault.

4)  On our way back from Christmas vacation with the kids, we were boarding a DL flight in ATL, and the captains invited my grade school kids to the flight deck and let them sit in the pilot seats and press buttons, etc., then he gave them pin-on wings.  They loved it.  I was jealous.  I wanted to go up there!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Last year, I was on a flight that had to turn around and go back and land, because weather related equipment aboard the aircraft wasn't working correctly, but was needed to navigate around weather ahead (how I recall it being explained.)  We turned around, landed without incident, were sent to a new gate where we waited only about 20 minutes until we boarded a different plane, and were again on our way.  The entire incident only cost passengers at the very most, 1 hr, 15 mins. extra time.  We were all issued a $75 voucher for the inconvenience.  Nice touch By AS.

By way of contrast, yesterday I missed a connection due to weather (just missed the door being shut, and apparently not even an act of God would suffice to open it, and then the plane sat there for 15 mins. after I arrived.)  The gate agent (without my input or approval, as I told her that I didn't want to be booked until all options were explored), put me on the next non-stop, which was 8 hours later(!), and when I insisted on looking at earlier flights (I had already pulled up a list of on my iPad), she became rude and impatient, resistant to being helpful (and who's the paying customer here anyway?), and of course no apologies, a missed day of work, yada, yada.  So when something like the former situation occurs, it is indeed, very nice, and unfortunately in todays commercial airline climate, unexpected.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Love this ramoneur!!  Great thread topic. 

saconners Gold 1 Reviews

My family and I drove from Boston to New York to fly out of JFK. (We saved lots of money flying out of JFK). Although I booked several weeks ahead, I was only able to reserve 2 rooms with a 1 king size bed each( there are 5 of us). I checked back frequently to see if any rooms with 2 double had opened up but had no luck.  We checked in late at night and were very pleasantly surprised to find a roll away bed in one of the rooms. I had not requested it ( I did not think of it) but the hotel anticipated my needs and put it in there !

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...