13 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2016 1:32 PM by kharada46 RSS

Renaissance New York Midtown or The Lexington New York

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Alright friends, I need your help once again.  I'm planning a weeklong trip to NYC.  I haven't been there for 15 years, and this will be the wife's first time.  What we're going to do while there, we weren't sure yet.  It will be in early December, so Rockefeller Center is a must, the wife wants to go to Time Square, and I want to eat.  We're considering a day trip to DC too, but aren't sure yet. 

So the two hotels I'm considering at the moment are the Ren. New York Midtown and The Lexington New York.  Both have fairly recent rennos, and nice, modern rooms.  However, the Ren has larger rooms, is closer to Time Square, and is right next to Penn Station, while the Lex has smaller rooms, is closer to Rockefeller, and is located next to Grand Central. The Ren also has a lounge, while the Lex does not.  Easy transportation access and walking distance to a fair amount of stuff is also desirable. 

Mahalo in advanced!   

• Re: Renaissance New York Midtown or The Lexington New York
    psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

From a location perspective, the Lexington would be my preference, between those two.  (staying there this summer).  No reason to stay near Penn Station, unless you are doing business there or need to catch an early train.  Before deciding to get a few rooms for a visit this summer, I checked with folks and got good reviews on the Lexington.

I really like the Algonquin and would have stayed there again, but we needed two beds in one of our two rooms and they don't have any rooms with two beds.  Yes, the rooms are smaller than newer hotels, but it is a classy old hotel, fully restored recently, great lobby, very nice bar and close to some very good restaurants.  Right next door is db Bistro Moderne, an affordable Daniel Boulud restaurant.  Nice casual French fare, with the best burger I have ever had!!  A few doors down is Kellari Taverna, a great upscale greek restaurant.  It is on 44th Street, so you are short walk to Time Square and all the hot mid-town spots.  Just another option.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mustanggt Platinum

I would also suggest the Algonquin Hotel (Autograph Collection).  It is 100+ years old with history galore.  It has been nicely renovated and it has the historic "Blue Bar" in the lobby.  We stayed there last year and it is our new favorite in NYC.  It is convenient to most everything.  Have a good trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks psudad & mustanggt!  I actually would consider the Algonquin, but the wife prefers modern decor and the Algonquin is pretty traditional/historic looking.  That's why I chose the Lex & the Ren Midtown.  Would have gone with the Ren. Time Square if I could afford their newly renovated terrace rooms too, no

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

They also have a resident cat, at the front desk - a very long standing tradition.

seatexan Platinum

I just stayed at the Ren Midtown and it was FANTASTIC! My blog has a few pictures of it.  I still need to add a few more parts, but the M-Club is legit!  Review of that here, second review so scroll down a bit... Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread

Blog post

Sea's Happening

Location wise it is AMAZING! And the subway entrance is VERY close, closer than the Lexington. 

I walked from the Ren Midtown to Grand Central and Top of the Rock.  It's really not bad at all. 

My mom, txtocr, stayed at the Lexington and said the rooms were tiny! and so was the bathroom.  About zero counter space.  But she did enjoy her time there.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

They're both nice. I haven't been to the Renn in a while, but earlier this year did stay 9 nights over 3 stays at the Lexington. All 3 stays were great. Service, upgrade to nice big room with two bathrooms, and decent mojo.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Stayed at the Renn TS 2 nights ago. It really needs to be refreshed. while the lobby and restaurant have been redone, the rooms need updating, they are small (as most in NYC are), the doors don't block the sounds of the lugs who walk by talking loudly and then slamming their doors, and the beds are not the Marriott standard for comfort. Mind you, the night before was in the Renn on West Wacker in Chicago, which was totally refreshed, had a great vibe, layout and lunge, and the bed was great, room was great and I was really impressed. the Renn TS needs this update soon. some may recall, that 2 years ago I was walked from this Renn at 1AM to the Marriott in TS, so I was giving them another chance. Not sure I will stay there again as above all, the bed was not at all up to the Marriott standards.

seatexan Platinum

The OP is asking about the NEW Ren MIDTOWN not the one on Times Sq.  The new one is FAB and chic!

The Ren Midtown's beds are AMAZING!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

my bad, I misread the question . I have stayed at the ren57, it was really great, but I needed to be walking distance to a conference on 7th and 51st, so the renn TS was closer. Sorry for any confusion and thanks for pointing this out.

j&c Platinum

Lexington does indeed have a concierge lounge serving breakfast (we were there 3/25) as well as a cocktail lounge, a spacious lobby gathering space and Starbucks. We love the location, ease of subway travel and neighborhood. Small, well appointed rooms and excellent customer service. TIP: Lexington is one-way traveling southbound from higher to lower numbered streets. When you get off the subway at 59th or 53rd and Lex, head with traffic towards the Marriott Lexington. Off at 42nd (Grand Central), head north against traffic to the Marriott Lexington. C

Mahalo to all for your feedback!  I totally get that rooms in NYC are small in general, as they can be here in Honolulu too, so given that the Ren. Midtown are larger than the average, that became a pretty big deciding factor there.  SeaTexan's blog writeup also help to sway my decision. 

Ultimately, though, the Ren. Midtown is costing me less for the nights I do have to pay for, and I did reach out to each property regarding the special occasion we're traveling under, and the Ren. Midtown responded immediately.  The Lex... Hasn't responded and it's been well over a week now. 

At any rate, I'm exciting for this trip!  This is the wife's first time in THE CITY, while the last time I went was for school... In November 2001.  Needless to say that was an interesting and somber experience.  Looking forward to seeing NYC being itself this time around! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...