6 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2016 9:19 PM by john_thai RSS

Do I suck it up or Stand?

mustex Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was working in Mississippi for the last 39 days and this is the first time in 13yrs I felt like I was bother to the Marriott chain then a welcomed guest. I started off trying to get in the Towne Place in Oxford and was told no rooms available for the week I needed, but I personally know of co-workers that stayed in the competitors hotel with me call after I did and got in or they called the desk and stated another person would be checking out on a certain day and they were booked into that room. I make my reservation in Ridgeland/Jackson at the Towne Place prior to arrival and request the govt discount of $89 and was told by the sales manager, "they could not offer the govt discount to me because they have met their quota, but around Apr 24th they will open up more rooms at the $89 rate and I could go on the list to be given the $89 rate then, but they would give me the rate of $99 until then." I agreed and moved in. There was a waiver in affect that allowed me to stay and the difference would be covered, but when it was due to expire 4 days prior to me leaving MS I  was told to move out or ask the hotel for the $89 rate. I asked for the discount and the Sales Manager flat out lied to me about not being able to adjust the rate, but would give me points instead so that I can take a nice vacation. I knew that was a lie and only said to get rid of me. What bothers me is she gave my co-worker the govt rate of $89 the same day over the phone. She asked me to send her an email and she would speak with upper management to see what she could do and I did as requested and she never responded to my email or phone calls after that. I was insulted and upset to think that my loyalty to Marriott did not mean anything to the chains in MS. She also stated she couldn't make exceptions after reaching the limited number because my company flood them in occupancy and then we don't stay the whole time we stated when making the reservation. We stay average of 30  days or more or some have to move to other areas around the state to meet the needs of the residents and that shouldn't be a reason to penalize us. I didn't not see consistency in how a stay is reserved and that is what has me so bothered. The Springhill suites out right refused to do the government rate so I don't know what to think or say to that.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Ridgeland, Mississippi, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott TownePlace Suites Jackson Ridgeland/The Township at Colony Park
  • Re: Do I suck it up or Stand?
    john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

A lot of detail there. I'm going to re-state what I think I understand. Tell me if I'm getting it right.

You're trying to get in on a discounted special rate. The property limits how many rooms they allow at that rate. That limit is causing you problems.

Your boss let you stay at the higher rate for 4 days but after they still didn't open up your room then your boss told you to move.

Others in your company are trying to get the same rate with mixed success. The property says that they are swamped with requests from your company but have a problem with your company making a lot of reservations and not keeping them.

Is that actually true? Does your company reserve more rooms than they need or cancel reservations regularly?

You think they are trying to get rid of you. What brings you to that solution? Has there been any friction?

You mention "company" but then say you're getting a "government rate". How does that work?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

To my mind this is a problem for your company. Do they bend over and pay the extra $10/nt? If not then how is your employer to accommodate you during your work away from base? Why is this your problem? And then the Govt rate... I can't see how a company qualifies for that.

In my world if your company wanted you there after the 4 nights they'd have arranged it. If limited rooms are reserved for your company using the govt rate and employees come and go without much/any notice then availability is going to vary not only day by day, but hour by hour, so you request an extra day at 8am, and there no availability but one of your colleagues already in a room from last night and due to stay that night too calls by the desk at 8:15am, throws in their keys and checksout a day early, thus freeing the room on inventory then another employee phones in at 8:30, the assistant sees inventory and offers the rate... Or another govt worker checkout early, or one due to stay the night cancels etc, etc.

Im seeing a lot of guesswork based on loose info, but not much by way of facts to draw the conclusion youre lied too, and nothing ar all to indicate why the hotel would want to get rid of you...

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree  worked for  major Aerospace company that was headquartered in the same city as Marriott . There is a full service Marriott there and it was losing money since the company rate was so low and use so high that the Marriott finally said no more.  can understand that they need to make a profit and have to limit the discounted rates

peymanagement Platinum

To your question, I would answer that you suck it up. My reading is that your company made the rules clear, the hotel made the negotiated accommodation, you had a choice to move. If you were out of pocket, that was your choice. You should have taken the points when offered, as that was another example of the hotel making an accommodation. you probably could have used the points for one night and solved your problem. It is just a cat 1.

mustex Silver 1 Reviews

I work for FEMA and when there is a disaster we come in by the hundreds. We have a central location in the state capital, but all employees doesn't get to stay in that area so they have to go out into the disaster areas to help which could be hours aways from the central location, but we all have to report to the main location upon arriving so we might have to book a hotel until we are assigned elsewhere which leads to you not knowing exactly how many hotel days you will need and causing you to end your stated days at time of reservation. I opted to stay at the hotel and will pay the difference because I didn't see any sense in moving for 4 days. My gripe with the hotel is, if the govt rate quota was met then follow policy and let it stand don't make exceptions for some and lie to the others that questions it. The sales manager points offer was one of those things to get rid of me. If she was genuine she would have done it at the moment and not want me to email her and I did and she never responded, but it is what it is.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

FEMA. Now all this is making sense. Yes, you guys sometimes arrive in droves and your schedule can change. Now put yourself in the hotel owner's position. Remember that Marriott doesn't own the hotel, they manage it. So the hotel owner is suddenly looking at half or more of his hotel taken over by a group paying half what his other guests pay, reserving tons or rooms (thus blocking him from allowing other guests to make reservations) and then abandoning some of the reservations or not staying to whole length leaving him with lots of empty rooms.

I'd resist if I owned the hotel.

What happens to you is frustrating and not your fault. But I have a hard time blaming the hotel owner either. He's not trying to "get rid of" you. He's just trying to minimize the negative impact on his business.

Solution is for FEMA to pay the same rates as other guests and pay a penalty for all the cancelled or shortened reservations. Of course they won't. And I guess if they did I'd moan about the cost to the taxpayer.

Best you can do, IMO, is just not take it personal. Deal with the frustration.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...