16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2016 2:59 PM by dave4525 RSS

Does Platinum Premier Still Exist?

phx_jim Platinum 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Over the years, the subject of Platinum Premier has been discussed in a number of forums.  I had thought it was gone but a stay today at the Marriott Marquis San Diego included a room key folder card about access to their Executive Lounge that included the statement, "Access to the Concierge Lounge is reserved exclusively for registered Platinum Premier, Platinum, and Gold Elite Marriott Rewards members, plus one guest only".

Just wondering if the Premier level is coming back?  Doubt it but thought it might be an interesting question...

Happy travels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Diego, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
  • Re: Does Platinum Premier Still Exist?
    nuclearnomad Platinum

Its still around.  I was given PP status this year. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mustanggt Platinum

It has never gone away.  It is the top 3% of platinum members.

Platinum

Indeed. I do have it recognized now each time I check in, but as most point out, other than the annual gift (which I only heard of via this site - thanks MRI!) there's not a lot of special actual benefit or recognition. I'm going to ask a few staff at this RI where I stay quite a bit if they call attn to Lifetime or PP  anymore than regular Plats and will get back to this post or start another one with the results.

mustanggt Platinum

I have never once had anyone at the front desk of any Marriott recognize me for being "platinum PREMIER" or "platinum LIFETIME".  It's too bad they don't give that recognition, because a little recognition to a good customer can go a long way.  The opposite is true as well that lack of recognition can hurt Marriott's cause.  Quite frankly I just don't understand it.  Is there a lack of proper training or does Marriott not really care.  When I was in business we went out of our way to recognize our best clients.  The funny thing here is that it is a no cost way to make your most loyal customers feel good about themselves and Marriott...All Marriott has to do is say something nice to the best customers when they check in.  As NIKE would say, "Just do it".

nuclearnomad Platinum

I get that Marriott needs to treat all customers with a high level of respect and courtesy, but I also agree with mustanggt about recognition for their best customers.  Its hard not to come off snooty (1st World issue here) but after all the money and time I have spent at Marriott extra recognition is always nice.  Shoot recognition is nice for any reason.  My wife doesn't travel with me much but when she does I always hope the staff mentions the status because in the end she is just as vested in the program as I am.

Ultimately Marriott is counting on the staff for the recognition but I have seen a fair amount of employee turnover and that means varying levels of experience and dedication to their training.  That's been my experience so far.  None of this is a game changer for me, but a little extra goes a long way.

cyrill Platinum

I get the best recognition as a PPE in Europe. Paris Vandomme, Ambassador and Trocadero were very accommodating and upgrades were significant. A GM would come out and greet at each property.

Madrid Palacio Retiro was great and most accommodating with a superb upgrade for three nights!

Vienna Riding School Renaissance was very good in recognizing PPE and so was Munich airport Marriott and Heidelberg Marriott.

Venice Boscolo was good, but not on the same level as above, same goes for Brussels Renaissance. But we spent 5 nights straight and it is much harder to get a spectacular upgrade for several days, vs just one night.

AC in Granada ans Seville Spain were nothing special, upgrades were mediocre. Marriott in Vienna was disappointing.

NYC Lexington Rennaissance was very good (I think it changed the name now to NY M East Side) So was Essex House

Marriott Marquis on Times Square was the biggest disappointment.

Except for Germany and Austria, all the above were redemptions.

I usually do not expect much from lower end US properties, but I am definitely impressed with  Chincoteague island FI&S which is my home base for raking points and nights. It is a little different of a relationship.

roadwarrior714 Platinum

I am both lifetime and Platinum Premier. I am on premise in a Marriott property on average, 200 or so nights a year. In the US, I typically get recognition for the Platinum Premier around 50% of the time and the lifetime never.  But, I can say that now with the concierge service that is provided by Marriott to the Platinum Premiere members, it has really taken a step in the right direction. My wife recently used our Concierge to book a surprise get away down in Lexington KY. Upon arrival, we were greeted and thanked for our loyalty to Marriott as well as received a very nice  Champagne with Cheese and Fruit plate. They also placed us in a really nice room. (Points - non revenue stay).

To be honest, I really could care less on being informed by the front desk that I am a member of the no life club (too many nights on the road) BUT, I do expect a slightly better level of effort on providing a nice room or other perks that are at the discretion of the property. I dont expect them to kiss my.. and I never expect the elevated treatment, nor do I ask for it unless I really wanted a room closer to the Concierge lounge cause I dont want to walk that far for breakfast ;-)

Keep up the great work Marriott

droma Platinum

Does anyone know if the top 3% is based on nights in a year or spend?

boomer Platinum

It does still exist as I am PP for the second year in a row.  I believe it is based on # of nights as a lot of my nights are in FFI and CY.

I find it is about 50/50 for being recognized as PP.  I see it more and more although I don't usually feel like I get much for it other than the cool gift and phone line.  I do commend the phone line customer service as they are always pleasant and cooperative.  They helped my wife properly plan a family trip to the Marriott Steellaris Aruba.

tikiphil Platinum

The platinum premier phone line is gone.  There is now NO difference between Platinum and Platinum Premier!

yul438 Gold

is the ~150 nights for PP based only on paid stay nights or does it include nights from marriott events as well?

seachi Platinum

I've heard variations of all questions on achieving PP - as clear as it gets is "top 3% of Platinums." It's likely a combo of nights and dollars. There's no known granularity on "Marriott event nights" etc.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi yul438,

Platinum Elite status is earned by completing 75 qualifying nights, which are any nights stayed in the current calendar year at a participating hotel at an eligible rate and paid for by the member. This has now been expanded to include nights spend during redemption stays (paid with points or cash + points)

Platinum Premier status is not based on any set number of nights and is awarded only to the top 3% of platinum members.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

yul438 Gold

thank you! so the yearly night count resets for January 1, 2017?

dave4525 Platinum

BBeen a pp for many years and never noticed or seen any advantages or preference given, nothing so whether it's still there or not seems no difference.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...