32 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2016 5:58 PM by phctourist RSS

CUSTOMER COMPLAINT

missarlenelee Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am so furious right now! I called the customer service line, was put on hold for TEN minutes, spoke with a lady with a bad attitude and short temper, then put on hold for another 5-6 minutes, then a robot answered...and I seriously almost threw my phone against the wall. I HATE ROBOTS. Actually hire people to service customers! A robot does not know how to assist people. After going through the robot speech for 5 minutes, an actual person answered, and when I told him I sincerely frustrated with my experience so far, he said he was going to transfer me to a supervisor, and before I could say anything, he put me on hold AGAIN. I waited 5 minutes, and then the call disconnected. Marriott, 1) you will not answer; 2) you do answer with a snotty attitude; 3) you put me on hold multiple times; and then 4) you hang up on me. That's a total of FOUR transgressions against you. I am now on hold AGAIN waiting for someone to answer. All I want? To change my last name on my rewards since I got married. I may end up changing having Marriott rewards and ever staying at Marriott EVER AGAIN. STOP PUTTING ME ON GD HOLD! STOP saying "bear with me one moment" and other nonsense. I cannot believe how terrible and frustrating this experience has been today. I am sincerely frustrated and upset and do not want to deal with Marriott ever again.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: CUSTOMER COMPLAINT
    tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Was this written by a robot? This doesn't mirror any experience Ive had talking with Marriott. Based on how this was written, I wonder what the real story is and how the people at Marriott were treated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

brightlybob, I know it is almost midnight but this is a really good candidate for the rant-o-meter.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Is the rant-o-meter impermeable to damage? If so, likely safe. If not, its in great danger with this post.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

There is a rant-o-meter? 

seatexan Platinum

Just another reason as to why I won't change mine.

I hope you get it resolved. 

missarlenelee Platinum

Ha, no, not a robot! I definitely had a frustrating experience today, which, in the end, was resolved by someone capable and helpful. The major issue today was that I sat on the phone through multiple holds and transfers for almost 45 minutes to receive a 45-second answer. Truly, there must be a simpler, quicker way to get through to someone at customer service so experiences like this don't happen again.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

So glad to hear you got this resolved, missarlenelee, but also sad that you had such a frustrating experience! If there's ever anything that the other moderators (carat, deannad, AndrewT) or myself can help with, please don't hesitate to reach out!

insertcoffee Platinum

I've had this precise scenario multiple times. It exists. The last time it happened to me the GM called for me after I wasted an unbillable hour on the phone, hung up on/disconnected three times, terminal hold, and given wrong information. Oh-- I was calling to *fix their mistake*.  The GM was happy to do this for me, especially after I shared that both CSRs automatically blamed the hotel for the issue, without even looking. Excellent training, that.

Also, the robot male voice:  not surprisingly, he cannot do two things at once. Meaning, if you already know what you want to press, you still have to keep waiting until he stops talking --and the fake typing sounds he is making cease-- in order to put in the request.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Just keep saying "agent" and you should get through to a person!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Its late in the day, but by popular demand - of just one, who will remain anonymous (you know who you are peymanagement) I've fired up the Rant-O-Meter, and its steaming!

Rant title - Only 2 words, pretty unimpressive, until you spot the FULL capitalisation. You tease, you! - 6/10

Rant use of "I'm a X year Elite" - Only status mentioned is married, my missus says its top status - 11/10

Rant detail - wait until 90% thru to realise what started the rant. Marriage! Wouldn't you know it - 6/10

Rant excessive capitalisation - Lots of irrational CAPITALISATION, I like the style - 7/10

Rant excessive punctuation - Proper punctuation throughout, down to the semicolons between points - 0/10

Rant use of annoyed emoticons - none at all, red steaming faces would perk it up - 0/10

Rant use of "never again" - Absolutely. And with CAPITALS. And Ever in the negative. Very entertaining - 9/10

Rant referral to cost - not a penny, but then again it's an 800 number, so little to work on there - 0/10

Rant style - Capitalised title, precise punctuation, ranty capitalisation, this ones all over the place - 5/10

Rant likelihood of one-and-done - can't even be bothered with a 2nd paragraph, never mind a 2nd post - 8/10

Comments: The title is a real tease, deeply dull words but full capitalisation does give a clue to the work in rantiness progress this post clearly represents, and the outpouring of words about the trial by customer service suffered has some entertainment value. Alas, the very correct punctuation indicates the poster is holding back from really letting go and pounding that keyboard till it shatters.

Total score 52%... It's a C

Yes I know, I'm a tough marker.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Well done, brightlybob.  The Rant-O-Meter is a thing of beauty and a joy forever...

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I had never heard of the Rant-O-Meter brightlybob!  I just LOVE it.  Oops, capitals - sorry.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I'm sorry for your frustration. Sometimes, isolated bad customer service exists within good companies (today I had some customer service "issues" with AA, made for a mostly entire day that I'd prefer to forget, but I digress, and anyway, unusual). 

Although I have to say, "Bear with me one moment" doesn't sound like a bad attitude or a short temper... at least not in my experience... I'd have been happy, no, thrilled if my AA lady had said, "Bear with me one moment," instead of what she actually said (Uugh.)

Hope you get your issue resolved. With patience, it's a certainty.

missarlenelee, I have bad news if you are a UA flyer and have yet to change your name with those folks.  It takes an act of Congress....well, actually an affidavit or two, but that's bad enough.

I, too, have suffered the decline in quality of the MR reps.  Some seem to be working out of their homes unless there are dogs barking, children screaming, and doorbells ringing at the call center in Utah these days. 

seatexan Platinum

clebert oh no is it really that bad?

SeaTexan, lately I've had some hit-or-miss experiences.  Some reps are very good, and some are not very good at all.  The one with the barking dogs was a train wreck.  Letting reps take calls from home might be a good cost cutting maneuver, but it wasn't working well in her case.

Platinum

Call center in Utah? I think it's been a while since you called - more likely Manila, Mumbai, or perhaps Dublin depending on the time.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Personally, I have never experienced this sort of bad service from Marriott.  Yes, I have music playing in my ear while on hold - and yes and I hate it.  But all companies use it nowadays.  But when it comes to the rest of the complaints from the OP, I have not found that with Marriott.  Other companies - yes.  Many times.  Frustration at being made to hang on then cut off - yes. Many times.  But with Marriott - no.  Probably another reason I stick with them.

AZDesertRat Platinum

Nor have I.  Not to minimize the obvious frustration experienced by missarlenelee, I would just add the very few times I have called a Marriott help line the service and results were great.  Resolving issues seems to take interactions with other units or hotel locations, which requires more time than one might think necessary.  I especially have relied on the suggestions made by our moderators and veteran posters for the most expedient ways to resolve problems.  A good start for anyone experiencing a problem is to request advice or guidance on this site.  It is unlikely one will have an issue that has not come up for others.

gobucks2016 Platinum

I called customer support yesterday and I was put on hold for over 15 minutes each time.  I had to hang up.   I was staying in a marriott  in crystal city va.   I found dry blood stain in my bed when I was checking out.   It was so disgusting!!!    I am not able to reach anyone at marriott

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Apologies for the frustration gobucks2016!! I'd  like to make sure your complaint is passed along to the appropriate team and have reached out via direct message for additional details. 

gobucks2016 Platinum

I am lifetime platinum, I was told by Marriott customer support I am not eligible for the fall 2016 promotion.  On the same day I am given a room with sheets from a crime scene I am told I can't participate in the fall promotion

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi again gobucks2016.  That is odd that you were told you are not eligible for the Fall promotion.  Have you tried registering via this link?  Choose Your Reward (Pick Your Bonus)  This MegaBonus is a different from previous promotion registration as it is not showing up under Promotion Central in your online account until the promotion has begun. If you are still unable to register, please let me know.  Also, I would still like to pass along your experience to our Customer Care team.  Would you mind sending me the details of your stay as well? 

gobucks2016 Platinum

I still have not heard from Marriott

felixf5 Platinum

There were no Marriott staff in the entire hotel?? That is shocking indeed

More on-topic: I've called CS for a name change too and got the robot. I was astound that it understood my question perfectly and told me precisely what to do.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Getting hung up in one of the those phone trees can be incredibly aggravating. Normally I'm fairly even tempered but there have been times I have wanted to throw my phone across the room.

I haven't had to call Marriott CS so I don't know how bad it is but if it is even remotely as the OP described then Marriott needs to fix it.

gobucks2016 Platinum

I have a picture

2queenbeds Platinum

The rant-o-meter is cute enough. I hadn't heard of it either. It's entertaining. But personally, I don't like its use in this context. To me, it's dismissive and disrespectful to "our guest."

I would like Marriott Rewards Insiders to be a welcoming place where everybody can speak their opinions without ridicule.

Can we not all remember a time when we weren't quite sure what Marriott Rewards Insiders was? When I first discovered this site, I, too, thought it was a Customer Service forum and an appropriate place to voice complaints. I assumed that people who could make a difference were "listening." I don't think I posted a complaint here, but I was tempted to before researching this site further.

When we respond dismissively and disrespectfully to new people (who are upset), we add insult to injury and risk inadvertently marring Marriott's reputation. After all, the people who post their complaints here apparently think they're talking to Customer Service reps on a forum that is officially endorsed by Marriott.

Plus: it's just not polite.

Marriott is my favorite brand. But they're not perfect.

Surely everyone here knows: There are some detractors who dismiss Marriott Rewards Insiders as a censored forum where only those who sing praises are welcome. I don't want that to be the case.

cjmarriott Silver 1 Reviews

2queenbeds, I couldn't have said it better!  Thank you for your reply.  I remember once when I penned my personal experience and felt like I was attacked for sharing my thoughts.  I remember feeling like "wow...isn't this a 'community of insiders?"  I am a positive person, but after a few lil' attacks, I wanted to say, "ok people... I get it... get on with something else; forgive me for sharing my personal opinion."  I love Marriott and it is truly my brand of choice. However, sometimes things don't go according to the way we feel that they should and we express our thoughts on the topic. I have been pleased with Marriott and that is why I am still with them... however, there have been a few things that I am not pleased with.  There's always room for improvement and I think Marriott wants to hear about the opportunity areas.  Thank you, again!

2queenbeds Platinum

Thanks so much, cjmarriott, for your supportive words. I'm glad you feel the same way!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well, hello there 2queenbeds, and welcome to the forums. Here you'll find travel reviews, helpful information on Marriott Rewards and it's hotels, answers to questions about earning and redeeming and, yes, assistance with your complaints. This community (and that includes me) have a long record of holding Marriotts feet to the fire when they foul up.

Alas, some come here to rant, to let off steam if you will. The cause of complaint is frequently obscure or trivial, splodged out in a single, hard on the eyes over-capitalised YELL.

Now I want you to imagine you're in a busy room chatting away with a group. Other groups are doing likewise but then someone walks in slamming the door and YELLS at the top of their voice incoherently about some perceived wrong, then simply turns on your heels and leaves, slamming the door behind them. How respectful is that person? How polite are they? So, yes, I poke a little fun out of it... But the OP is entitled to calm down, come back, and explain their complaint properly and the resolution they seek. If they'd done that in the first place I wouldn't be wheeling out the Rant-O-Meter(SM-whatever that means), but would instead provide advice to help them resolve it! If I put people off making incoherent rants, then good!  If the ROM encourage clarity of complaints then good! You'll not find me poking fun at any clear complaints, trivial or otherwise. I suspect that since I first wheeled out the Rant-O-Meter last year there have been over 100 complaints and I've wheeled out the ROM twice, it's in good humour and gently points out to the OP that it's a rant.

So, I agree, the ROM not particularly respectful, but it is in good humour and I use it sparingly - too sparingly according to many on this forum who call out for the ROM - I'll not be mothballing it anytime soon. I hope this explains my position, and I send you my friendly felicitations from here in Gettysburg...

PS - No hard feelings, I welcome discussion and am really pleased you've voiced your concerns - I've even liked your post (and cjmarriott's too - Hi to you as well!)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

@missarlenelee,  Sorry about your experience.  It just does not sound like anything that I've experienced in more than 50 years of dealing with Marriott.  I have always found their  customer service people to be polite and almost always to be helpful.  I've never been transferred to a robot from a live person and I've stayed enough nights with Marriott that I'm only about 100 nights short of lifetime Platinum.

I suggest that you contact Bill Marriott's office in Bethesda, MD, (Marriott hq)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...