3 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2016 8:16 PM by ramoneur RSS

classical concerts in China (Shanghai, Beijing, etc.)

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I like to go to classical concerts from time to time;

In my own country, I sometimes travel for 1,5 hours just to see some special performance in the concert hall of Amsterdam (https://www.concertgebouw.nl/en/) where prices - compared to my hometown - are about 150% of what I am used to (but still low enough).

They have about 2 to 3 concerts per day (https://www.concertgebouw.nl/en/concert-schedule).

What is extremely strange and irritating, is that here in China, they have great concert halls,

but almost no performances (maybe a few per week).

Also, the websites you can find (baidu; google is blocked of course; God forbid people find some useful information), are extremely poor regarding information about performances, pricing, etc.

It is near impossible to order/book tickets online.

Some of those websites are even only in Chinese.

Last but not least, the ticket prices are sky high.

I know there is something to say for no governmental subsidies, but these prices are crazy.

so, questions:

* anyone (with access to google maybe) know some good websites to browse through possible concerts?

* are there any good concert halls with reasonable prices and a good website?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: classical concerts in China (Shanghai, Beijing, etc.)
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

If you're talking about China, I am of no help. Sorry.  Even in the West, there is nothing like multiple concerts per day that I know of.  We have a great philharmonic in my town as well as visiting artists who come and perform each season, yet even so, and in places like LA, with multiple venues as well, it takes some planning to see someone special, and the same holds true in Paris even.  It takes planning to see a special performance of interest.

2-3 concerts/day x everyday in Amsterdam sounds amazing.  I can only think of one other city that can boast that, which is Vienna.  Amsterdam sounds like a very fortunate city for classical performances.

I love the likes of performers like Yundi, but how often do they perform in - China?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ramoneur Platinum

you can even visit rehearsals at the Amsterdam Concert Hall,

for free(!)

most of the time I am happy not to live in Amsterdam,

but regarding opportunities for going to classical concerts I sometimes am sorry that I don't live there

(imagine jumping on the bike on a Sunday afternoon and just go to a free rehearsal in about 15 mins; wow)

ramoneur Platinum

so nobody has any other tips/ideas?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...