8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2010 6:46 PM by herndonrd RSS

pissedoffguy

pissedoffguy Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott just informed me that they made a mistake on my account today.  I'm a gold elite member.  I was a few nights short of platimun in 2009.  Marriott upgraded me to platimun earlier this year.  Now today they inform me they are taking it away.  What a crock of s__t.  I don't know about other members, but I will be switching all my 70 plus nights a year to Hilton Honors.  It was there problem, not mine.

• Re: pissedoffguy
    taxman415 Platinum

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Sorry--sounds like not a good thing and we'll hate to see you go. That's a large chunk of money spent at Marriott and I for one think they could have made an exception.

Forgot to ask: Have you appealed the decision to higher authority?  By that I mean have you contacted the Platinum Desk at Marriott Rewards (weekdays in Salt Lake hours)?  Many of the folks there seem willing and able to listen to any an all issues -- heaven knows I've been guilty of speaking with them on anything and everything.

Worth a try and not that mich time involved if there's a positive outcome to be had--sure hope there is.

-- Edited by SteppingStones at 01/31/2010 4:31 PM PST

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pissedoffguy Platinum 8 Reviews

Thank you.  I wish you were the person making the decisions at Marriott.

tjcnewyork Platinum

I agree with Stepping.  In your favor are 70+ nights plus the value of your continued loyalty.  Keep in mind that the grass is not necessarily greener.  That said, consider circling back to the Elite desk and ask about the Challenge.  My understanding is that if you stay a certain number of nights before a specified date, you qualify for Platinum Elite.

james30 Platinum

I think Marriott looks foolish for the decision to take back the Platinum.  What harm would it have done to leave it in place and see what happens this year with your stays.  If they were terribly concerned, they should have just alerted you to the mistake but then let you know they were leaving it in place for this year.  The way they keep diluting the program it would not be a big deal.

gotztago Platinum

I understand the need to vent when something like this happens, but going to Hilton when they significantly devalued their rewards would be a mistake (in my opinion). You earn Marriott and Hilton points at the same rate per dollar spent at the hotels (and they have similar promotions), but when you redeem the points, Marriott points are worth more than twice as much as Hilton points. AND seriously, there's not that much difference in the benefits of Gold versus Platinum with Marriott. If you're taking your business elsewhere, Priority Club properties would be better from a loyalty program perspective than Hilton. For example a reward night at a Hampton Inn is 30,000 HHonors points while a Residence Inn is only 15,000 Marriott points. I'd rather stay at a Residence Inn myself.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Gotzago,

Good point!

I am a diamond member with Hilton and I did not realize the facts!

herndonrd Platinum

Something doesn't add up to your story.  You say that you STAY 70+ nights, but you came up a few nights short.  With all of the bonus nights that Marriott gave away last year for staying (I accumulated ~25 of them) which count toward your Platinum qualification, I can't conceive how you could have stayed ~70 nights and not have enough nights to qualify.  I'll admit that your screen name makes me think that there's more to the story than you're telling.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...