3 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2016 9:44 AM by clebert RSS

Doesnt marriot match other hotel reward programs or give bonus points like other hotel chains?

lisa714 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Doesnt marriot match other hotel reward programs or give bonus points like other hotel chains?I have yet to see any promotions for double points or any kind of incentive for using marriot instead of another chain..whats up with that?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Doesnt marriot match other hotel reward programs or give bonus points like other hotel chains?
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Status matching was very common during 2009/10/11 but faded as the lodging economy improved, indeed I don't think any of the big 5 chains (IHG, SPG, HH, Hyatt or Marriott) were status matching by 2013. Marriotts shock deal with SPG in November 2015 changed all that with the jilted Hyatt immediately offering to status match swiftly followed by Hilton and IHG. Initially they only offered to match SPG members but that rapidly expanded to any chains top-tier. All have now stopped actively promoting their status match programs, but still do match on request and after an infuriating point-shorting Marriott experience last month I applied to Hilton to match my MR status which they've done to Diamond till March 2018! I've not stayed in a Hilton in a decade but I'll certainly be giving them a go now.

So, no, lisa714, Marriotts not status matching, although in all likelihood once the SPG deal is completed I think an SPG status match program will be swiftly implemented as the scheme integrations are likely to take a couple of years to play out.

As for promos, IHG, SPG and Hilton have announced their summer promos, whilst Marriott is still on the final days of its Spring Megabonus for which final registration was several weeks ago, so you've missed that. Last year Marriott did a Billy-no-Mates and was the only one of the major chains not to offer a summer promo. If they feel that worked for them I'd expect nothing this summer. If they feel the need to compete then they'll offer some slimmed down version of the megabonus, but the longer running Spring megabonus tends to indicate another summer of thin pickings in Marriott-dom! Unless you're a non-US member that is, in which case Marriott is running a double elite night credit promo to the end of the year, effectively meaning international members can now acheive Silver in 5 nights, Gold in 25 and Plat in 38.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Doesnt marriot match other hotel reward programs or give bonus points like other hotel chains?
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

lisa714, it is worth asking.  Even if there is no official offer to match status, you might be able to convince a MR agent to match for you if you can show an upcoming need for MR, etc.  I would call MR rather than using email as you can negotiate better, and it's harder for them to say no over the phone.  The worst thing they could do is say no, right?  brightlybob, after several attempts with Hyatt, I never did get a status match from them even though they clearly did offer to match for any of their competitors.  Hyatt has too small a footprint for me so I rarely use their hotels, and I was fairly disgusted at their false promise.  But I still think it's always worth asking for stuff like this.  Hilton gave me a nice status match that I have used twice so far when I had no choice but to book a Hilton hotel for a work event and when I chose Hilton over Marriott because Hilton had a better location (Key West - the Hilton W-A properties are in a much better location than any of the Marriott properties and are much nicer and competitively priced).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...