19 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2016 5:21 PM by nationwide RSS

Marriott Rewards Used Creatively

namastecare Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have a ton of Marriott points so my husband and I are on a 2 month trip around the US using points.  Every night (unless staying with family or working) we will be in a different Marriott.  Started last night....drove from our home in Tampa, FL. to Tucker, GA.  When I told the front desk woman what we were doing, she gave us a suite!  I don't think I have ever even seen one!  Then when we came back from dinner a handwritten card was slipped under the door with a note wishing us a safe and wonderful travel experience.  Nice touch!

Night two and we are in Burlington, NC.  at a Courtyard.  No suite tonight but a safe place with my points.  This trip should show an interesting way to use point for us "road warrior". 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards Used Creatively
    guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Wow, have an amazing trip!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Do you have your entire trip mapped out or do you just get up each morning and decide where to go?

namastecare Platinum

A little of both.  Visiting family & work and then most of June is just traveling and stopping whenever and where ever we want.  Ending in Seattle where I will be seeing my newest great granddaughter who will arrive in June.

seatexan Platinum

Awesome idea! You should create a little blog mapping out the trip.  I'd love to hear more!

namastecare Platinum

If I had a clue how to "blog" I would.  I actually have been urged to let Marriotts marketing department know what I was doing but don't know how to do that.  I think all of the marketing people I know are retired. 

seatexan Platinum

blog.jpg

You can find it under post (if you really want to blog about it).  It will prompt you to create one and pick a name for it.  You don't have to fill out a description if you do not want to.    Just letting you know where to find it if you are interested. 

I bet you are excited to visit your granddaughter! What an exciting summer you have.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

What a neat way to travel, namastecare!  I have to agree with SeaTexan on this one, would love to see a blog of your travels! 

AZDesertRat Platinum

namastecare   Your trip should be a wonderful experience.  Please follow SeaTexan's guidance and keep us posted on your travels.  [maybe I can figure out how to post pictures myself]  Finding Marriott properties to stay in outside of urban areas where the business travelers are can be a challenge, but at least are much less expensive.  When I can actually retire, I want to do a road trip like yours.  I'm taking some in-laws on a tour of Colorado this summer and know there are few Marriott properties outside of Denver/Colorado Springs and ski resorts.

namastecare Platinum

Second night in a Courtyard in Burlington, NC.  cold and raining so we had dinner in the Bistro.  Server Jessica was so lovely and such fun.  We had a gin game and she cheered me on.  I did lose but we women do stick together.  We had a bottle of wine but no opener.  Some courtyards do not let you bring your own wine to the Bistro but our new friend Jessica  opened the bottle for us and gave us wine glasses.  She made the stay very personal and special on night two.  Staying with my son for the next several nights....he told me they did not take Marriott points!

jonsummers Gold

I really like this idea!  Please keep us posted. 

Have you been charged any resort or parking fees? 

I would accept Marriott Points if you would like to stay with me!

namastecare Platinum

Another two nights on our trip.  Speaking for hospice in CT. staying at a Courtyard in Norwich, CT.  I'm blending staying free with "if I work for you I stay in a Marriott".  Nice people, hotel is in need of renovation.  Dragged in on Thursday after speaking engagements in MD. then driving for 7 hours as we got caught in NY traffic.  Exhausted when we checked in and the front desk person Harris gave me a special gift to welcome this exhausted traveler.  Off to Boston.

seatexan Platinum

That was awesome of Harris! Sounds like you are really on the move.  Thanks for the updates!

AZDesertRat Platinum

namastecare  Your travel adventure obviously has more meaning and purpose than just a vacation road trip, and your work for hospice care and Alzheimers is important and much appreciated.  Thanks for sharing your trip with us and may God bless your ongoing service.

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

im really enjoying reading your posts  --this sounds like a great mixed work / fun trip 

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

Wow...what a great adventure to be on...I'm so jealous.  Looking forward to reading more about your journey and about the places you visit...Safe travels to your and your husband!

namastecare Platinum

Checked into a Courtyard in Lake Placid NY...every interesting look and my Marriott hero was Dan a new associate with a name tag you can read...Dan.  wish I could post his picture.  Another Marriott adventure.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I did that last year with my 4 teenagers, redeeming a combination of Marriott and IHG points. At the beginnng and end of the trip while we were in Oakville, Toronto and Montreal the teens stayed with their Aunt, so it went like this:

1 night x1 room at Oakville Holiday Inn @15k/nt, total 15kIHG

2 nights x2 rooms (us+in-laws) at Oakville Holiday Inn @15k/rm/nt total 60kIHG

1 night x5 rooms (us+in-laws+teens+aunt) at Oakville Holiday Inn @15k/rm, total 75kIHG

2 nights x3 rooms (us+teens) at Ottawa Marriott @20k/rm/nt, total 120kMR

2 nights Cabins (us+teens) at Ausable Chasm USA, cash

1 night x3 rooms (us+teens) at Albany CY @20k/rm, total 60kMR

2 nights x2 rooms (us+teens) at NYC Marriott Marquis, total 180kMR

1 night x2 rooms (us+teens) at NYC Marriott Marquis, cash (much cheaper than weekend)

2 nights x3 rooms (us+teens) at DC Holiday Inn @35k/rm/nt, total 210kIHG

1 night x3 rooms (us+teens) at Selinsgrove HIX @5k/rm, total 15kIHG

2 nights family suite for 6 (us+teens) at Marriott Niagara Falls, cash (can't redeem points for big suites)

1 night x1 room at Oakville Fairfield Inn @10kMR

1 night x1 room at Toronto Eaton @35kMR

3 nights x1 room at Montreal Holiday Inn @25k/nt, total 75kIHG

3 nights x1 room at Oakville Holiday Inn @15k/nt, total 45kIHG

2 nights x2 rooms (us+in-laws) at Oakville Holiday Inn @15k/rm/nt, total 60kIHG

So I spent 555kIHG points and 405kMR points over a total of 44 room-nights during a 4-week vacation saving a total of $10,000!

This game is well worth the effort! Hope you enjoy your megatrip!

nationwide Platinum

brightlybob Yours was a remarkable road trip!!! With 3 teens no less!!!  Thanks for sharing the adventure and the cost-effective way you managed it!  Awesome!!!

nationwide Platinum

namastecare This is a fantastic multi-purpose trip!  I do hope you are able to blog more about the adventures, share pictures, or a map of the route!  This sounds like the summer of a lifetime!  Safe travels!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...