misterchk (Disabled) - what's going on?

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

misterchk

I am a bit worried;

why is his account "disabled"?

anything wrong with him?

something happened?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: misterchk (Disabled) - what's going on?
    seatexan Platinum

For some reason I can't see where to send you a Direct Message...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hassmh Gold

Hover over the profile picture or name, it will pop up details, at the bottom is a button to send Direct Message.

seatexan Platinum

hassmh Thanks! it's odd! I would go to some people's profile page and be able to see a button for a DM and some people I could not see this button! I see one for IAHFLYR on his profile page and yours but not ramoneur.  Hovering over the name does bring it up! thanks

AZDesertRat Platinum

I have the same question.... if you find out, please let me know.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I am not actually certain of what happened, however; it appears if the Insiders Mods found a reason to not allow him to be a participant of the community any more......so thus the "disabled" you see.

Now, as to my account......well not sure as I do not every look to send myself a DM!!!!

ramoneur Platinum

ok;

thnks for the info;

at least he didn't die or something :-/

as an administrator on a Dutch forum, I have banned a few users/members over the last 10 years;

it is a very very harsh thing to do (both to the banned, aswell as to the other user, because of the "you-can-be-banned-so-watch-out"-implication)

but it was always a last resort, and the ban was always for a few weeks

(for example, we had a vicious discussion which included anti-semitism)

a permanent ban I have never issued, even to the most disturbing/irritating/etc. people

I hope - and suspect tbh - it is a ban for a timed interval (a few weeks?);

a permanent ban would be way too harsh imho

(and really, you need "rascals" like him on this forum, to keep things lively and interesting)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Although Misterchk added a lot to this forum, he was controversial, in reality those that add a lot frequently are.

In 2014 he was warned about his posts in a thread that became quite heated and alas in 2016 he once again became quite heated and sent an unwise PM which resulted in an immediate ban, disabling his account.

I'm still in touch with him and last month offered to inteject with MRI to try and reinstate his account, but in typical Misterchk style he decided to do a Groucho Marx, and not (re)join any club that offered him membership!

He's not attending TIPPLE either, which is a real pity as his posts stirred up a lot of interest and he became very involved in the early planning stages.

ramoneur Platinum

...well, this is just [censored]

nice signal to the other users here :-(

be nice or be banned

peymanagement Platinum

Like brightlybob I Have also talked to Chuck. I doubt that he would ever post on here again. Notwithstanding, I believe that his account should be enabled, It is two months now, that is long enough. After all the poor man is dying of a terminal disease (old age).

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Statement

Up until now I have kept a dignified silence on the Misterchk issue.  But the time has now come to speak out.

I know exactly why his account was disabled, as I am the Insider to whom he sent the DM. Following disagreements on a thread, he sent me the most vile, vulgar and offensive direct message imaginable. I reported this to the mods, and they made the decision to disable his account.

Bearing in mind that my reporting of Misterchk was nothing to do with anything on the threads, I would respectfully point out that the ONLY people who can be absolutely certain of the contents of the DM, and therefore the reason for disabling Misterchk’s account were myself, Misterchk and the Insiders team.  I have no intention of copying the DM here, and I very much doubt the team would consider doing so either.  I am sure that if other Insiders had received such a DM, they too would have reported it.

Following speculation on another thread, on 9th March carat issued a statement on behalf of the team saying:-

Here on Insiders, it is our goal to foster a sharing environment and we value all member’s opinions and ideas. We do have Terms & Conditions for the forum, which apply to both public threads and private messages.  We all must adhere to these, abusive language toward other members will not be tolerated.

In response other Insiders stated:-

“Well, I am glad he was banned.  He sent me a very disturbing and insulting DM a while ago which I did not respond to or report to the moderators.  Have regretted not reporting it to the moderators ever since.

“As one who found most of his posts entertaining there were those which crossed lines even I'd not think of crossing and that's saying something, so I get the distaste for some of them.

There are other references on other threads as well, which show that not everyone was happy with Misterchk's behaviour on the forum.

So, to everybody who thinks Misterchk should be reinstated, may I reiterate, you cannot judge whether his ban should be lifted, or for how long it should remain, without knowing exactly what was said.  I am confident that if you did know what was said, you too would be horrified.  Don’t forget that there are two sides to everything, and Misterchk was not the hard done by good guy.  I was the injured party, yet some are making out his behaviour should be excused without knowing the full facts.

His banning from Insiders was totally his own fault.  I have no doubt he added pertinent input to Insiders, but that does not mitigate his disgusting, unacceptable behaviour.

I sincerely believe that to reinstate him would only serve to condone his odious behaviour.  If he was reinstated, I would be personaly offended as my principles are much higher than to accept such disgraceful conduct.

I am sure there are those of you who will respond to my statement, but before you do, I will make it quite clear that this is my one and only post on the issue, so I will not respond.

I would take it as a personal courtesy if you could please let the matter drop now.

Thank you

Tommo

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I havent seen the messages and certainly don't presume to judge this at all, though I do count Chuck amongst my friends  I do know he could be very forceful. I also count you as one of my friends, so it's awkward but I try to navigate these choppy waters with care, and to be fair you've never raised this with me, thanks...

Misterchk was was however a prominent member of this site and has multiple postings in many threads which means the "Whatever happened to Misterchk?" question will I think recur. In my replies I try to answer simply and infomatively, and believe that by doing so on the open forums, rather than via PMs, we don't treat this like some dirty secret that can only be mentioned only in the dingiest corners of MRI

fistuk Platinum

I'm on your side, Tommo781. Not because it's specifically you (and I do like you, you know that), but because this was absolutely the right thing to do (and I really don't need to know what was written in that message).

The rules of conduct are quite clear, and if someone doesn't honor them than he should not be among us, no matter how nice impression he made on some people or how many friends he got here.

I fully trust the moderators' judgment and I hope this will stay the only banned out case of this forum.

I'm sure Chuck already understood himself his mistake, even if he's not willing to admit it.

ramoneur Platinum

so, yes, let's drop the issue

I am happy nothing personally bad (like dying and stuff like that) happened to him

I have personal experience with these matters as an administrator who was sometimes forced to read PM's myself and act upon them with temporary ban from time to time;

please note that I still think  permanent ban is way too harsh and only meant for the severest of transgressions

but - indeed - let's drop the issue for now

let heads cool

let time heal wounds

and maybe we'll see misterchk again in the future

and maybe not

/exit

peymanagement Platinum

I have to agree to drop the issue, I am a Hockey guy and so when two get into a fight, they usually both get thrown out of the game. Where are you in China tonight? I enjoy hearing about your travels over there. keep posting. Send some pictures of that interesting food.

ramoneur Platinum

hi,
        thnks you for your nice comment ;-)
        I'm now (still) in Beijing; I am now happy to have switched to a Marriott hotel
        建国门 about 4 km's from TianAnMen;

internet works, no PJ's allowed in the lounge, no cigarettes in the toilets, etc.

....and I got a free upgrade to a very nice suite :-)

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Was he also banned from Marriott hotels?  Cuz that would really be something.  He DM'd me demanding to know all the stuff on my personal profile that hadn't been filled in.  I told him and he was cool about it.  I just didn't want all that stuff out there in my public profile since I live in a tiny town and would be easy to identify.

seatexan Platinum

See now Chuck just might have the last laugh.  He really might. As long as everyone keeps the "Legend of MisterChk" alive, he has obtained immortality.

wesleywc Nice icon!

I agree with brightlybob, that MisterChk was a prominent member of this community and his name will probably continue to come up. I suppose now when someone asks, they can be pointed here and to Tommo's statement.

I have no doubt it takes several reports for someone's acct to be disabled so it's not like it was all on Tommo.

Still the legend lives on.... and I will bring Chuck to the tipple in my pocket!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...