9 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2016 9:36 AM by walla RSS

Question re: Points Stays and View Rooms

walla Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Here's the quandary.... We have a reservation at the RI Wailea for Sept. Because it is a special occasion, I would prefer we have a ocean-view room. When you do a "regular" reservation there are options for ocean view rooms, but when you reserve using points, it does not give an ocean view option- only room type. Hotel is still under construction so when looking at photos can not tell what % will be ocean view. I am Platinum so should qualify for an upgrade, however you never know how many other platinums are there wanting the same thing

Using points would save an enormous amount of $, but when in HI we spend lots of time on the balcony so a view is important.  Should I roll the dice and reserve using points? What are others experiences with this?

Hotel is not yet open so no one onsite to clarify or request...

Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Question re: Points Stays and View Rooms
    pilam76 Platinum

Being platinum I have never had problems getting an upgrade. Sometimes I have to wait till the afternoon to get the room I want but never have had a problem. try contacting hotel before arrival to request the upgrade??!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi walla,

If you send me a private message with your Rewards number, I can ask our team how you would go about requesting an upgrade while using your points at this specific property since it's new.

walla Platinum

I sent the number over. Thank you so much!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Once the hotel is open call the directly and tell them about your "special occasion" and I'll bet they will more than help you with any and all requests.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

If the view is very important, I would call and ask if you could do a cash upgrade. Depending on the room type it may be about 50 bucks a night. Sometimes when they can see you are willing to pay for it, they might end up just doing it complementary at the end.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Have always assumed I would get one level upgrade so usually pay for say garden view so that I can get ocean. Personally I never assume I will get upgraded two or three levels even though I am a platinum

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

By the way I do agree calling or e mailing your request has always helped me to get what I want

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

As a PP, my wife an I stayed at the Wailea for our 10-year anniversary on points. My upgrade? 1st floor to 2nd floor, no ocean view, no suite, not a darn thing different. I called the front desk in advance, talked to the PP rewards desk, even got the GM's e-mail and sent a reminder the day before. Oh - my bonus was two free drinks at the bar.

walla Platinum

Thank you everyone for the advice! I decided to book the view room as a cash reservation and not take a gamble The property looks like it will be wonderful and is in a prime location so we are looking forward to it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...