58 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2016 4:56 PM by monisame RSS

Forget Mega Bonus!  I wish we (in the US) could get this offer!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott is now offering double EQNs with this offer:

http://livefromalounge.boardingarea.com/2016/04/27/marriott-rewards-double-elite-nights-credit/#_ga=1.266211789.357047941.1427585739

the catch is you can't be a US resident.

• Re: Forget Mega Bonus!  I wish we (in the US) could get this offer!
    tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ramoneur Platinum

I wish here in Holland/Europe we could get that very nice Marriott-tied-in credit card...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Sometimes you eat the bear!  Sometimes the bear eats you!  We certainly have gotten more promotions on our side of the pond and now it's the Brit's turn.  I may seem unfair  to us, but I guess, they deserve something, even if they do mangle OUR language!!!!! (Of course, they probably might challenge my claim that it is OUR language!)

ramoneur Platinum

..well, being of Frisian descent, I hate to see what "old England" and "new England" have done to "my" language ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Frisian_languages

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Right you are, phctourist, they do deserve a something too!  Mangle our language eh?  lol.  I wonder what Tommo781 & brightlybob think of this statement??

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Good morning kharada46 ramoneur  phctourist  -  well it is morning here in ENGLAND, where we speak ENGLISH!  Firstly, may I say a heartfelt thank you that you appreciate that it really was our turn over here to have a promotion of our own, after not being eligible for so many others.

Secondly - and I could write several threads on this, but I will restrain myself and simply pick on one word.

Mangle. Derivation.  1350-1400 Middle ENGLISH.

Can someone please explain why you are using an over 600 year old ENGLISH word to describe your obviously deluded belief that it is YOUR language!   Although I will concede that you have made certain parts of the English language unintelligible to us Brits when we visit the US. 

Correct me if I am wrong (though that is highly unlikely ) but didn't YOUR language originate with OUR colonisation (yes it is spelled with an s) of America?  Isn't your language called American ENGLISH?

I am sure brightlybob will have a very entertaining spin on this.

But thanks everyone, you have brightened up the start of my day with this joking banter.   Long may we continue such friendly digs at each other.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Alas, work is very busy at the moment, but your post really left me little to add Tommo781

Thanks for taking the bait, @Tommo781.  Your response, however ignores the fact that we won the war late in the 18th century.  I always assumed that among the spoils, we got control of the language.  I believe that was confirmed twice in the 20th century, when you called "help" and we answered!

(Of course, I am just kidding.  I do realize that you all created the language.)

ramoneur Platinum

...might I point out that English originates from the Germanic language groups?

Westgermanic_English_tree.svg.png

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

How familiar are you with British comedy classics phctourist?

One of our best loved was called Fawlty Towers, with John Cleese as hotel owner, Basil Fawlty.  If you don't know it, google the name.

One of the most famous lines from the whole series was when he had some German guests staying who he was continually upsetting by mentioning the war, and at one point even goose stepping.  The line was "I mentioned the war, but I think I got away with it."

I'll let you get away with it this once!

Any fan of John Cleese deserves special treatment.  I'm a fan of all his work, from Monty Python, to his classic appearance as a "marriage expert" on Cheers.  I even had to take a class on sexual harassment, at work, that featured him in several videos, practicing sexual harassment.  And so I leave you with this thought from Eric Idle  Eric Idle - "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" - STEREO HQ - YouTube 

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Wow phctourist.  This is really, really spooky.  I also ran a seminar on sexual harassment, and had videos starring John Cleese to show.  They have got to be the same videos!

Like you I am a huge John Cleese fan, and the boxed set of fawlty Towers is regular viewing in this house.  We never tire of them.  There were only ever 12 episodes made, as Cleese wanted it stop while it was still at the top of it's game.

So it goes without saying I love Monty Python, and the Eric Idle track from The Life of Brian.

Have you ever seen Clockwise, a Cleese film from the 1980's?  It is a classic.

ramoneur Platinum

"we won the war"

Gust Avrakotos: There's a little boy and on his 14th birthday he gets a horse... and everybody in the village says, "how wonderful. The boy got a horse" And the Zen master says, "we'll see." Two years later, the boy falls off the horse, breaks his leg, and everyone in the village says, "How terrible." And the Zen master says, "We'll see." Then, a war breaks out and all the young men have to go off and fight... except the boy can't cause his legs all messed up. and everybody in the village says, "How wonderful."

Charlie Wilson: Now the Zen master says, "We'll see."

I don't understand why they haven't taken my bait!  I feel ignored!  I say something provocative and nobody even responds.  This is depressing!

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

i tried for this but it's saying I'm ineligible not sure why as I'm in the uk I Never made the last promo as I took the Hilton status match and have been trying out a few of there hotels Marriott loss

monisame Platinum

I love this post. I am a non us gold elite member. I could not find any link to register in this promotion. Someone can help me with this issue??? . I have already sent an e mail to Marriott Rewards. It seems they do not have the answer

I have noticed that not every international member is seeing this promo, and Marriott has confirmed its targeted. I can guess why, though have no evidence to back up my guess.

Tommo781 ramoneur and I have received this offer and all of us have something in common besides our Non-US citizenship for although Tommo is a Gold and both Ramon and I are Plats, all of us will struggle on our stays made to April to renew our status by yearend.

Since I believe this promo is linked to the SPG merger and anticipated status matching scheme that'll emerge pretty swiftly thereafter with SPGs much lower elite thresholds and Larger-than-Marriotts international footprint, it will make staying at SPGs much more attractive to international strugglers like us who will be able to get to SPGs lower qualification status far more easily. Marriott can't have its own nervous hoteliers suffering a loss of international status chasers, hence the offer being made to those international members that are struggling the most.

I reckon Marriott is offering this only to those internationals that are falling short on the year to date figures to renew by year end, so Golds with less than ~20 nights to April, Plats at less than ~30.

All pure guesswork, I hasten to add!

Message was edited by: brightlybob to add Ramoneurs name

ramoneur Platinum

adding data for formulating the hypothesis:

I have gotten and signed up for this promo as well;

I am Platinum and without this promo I would already easily make it to Platinum again.

(I now have 1/3 in the year already 40 real nights and 12 roll over and expect to have at least 40 real nights more)

ramoneur Platinum

btw: I like the extra nights that will post to my account,

but to make it to some lifetime status I am afraid it won't be the nights that will be the problem, but the points:

nights: 173

(although 173 nights is not bad considering I just signed up about 2,5 years ago).

For me ramoneur the problem is nights, not points. I reached 2 million last year and now stand at 2.2mill, but despite about 200 credit card and rollover nights (that count twice), I'm still at 647 nights!

As I have about 30 nights coming up (inc credit card nights) already with holidays and 2 research trips and TIPPLE in the Autumn, all counting double (and I'll still have my regular work stays too) I expect to make 40 more by year end, that's a great 80 added to my lifetime score that will give me a great push over the 700 line (and secures Plat for next year which I could never have made). As a result I'm set up to get my lifetime Platinum nights in 2017.

LIfetime Plat will cause me a sigh of relief as I've only actually done the 75 real nights twice in my 11 years Marriott membership but held Plat for 7 of those years using rollovers, credit card nights, and earlier double nights and recession catch-up promos. In reality most years I struggle to get to 50 nights, never mind 75!

Have you made a lot of stays in April, ramoneur?

monisame Platinum

I used to be platinun, Then I lost the level.  I am gold now with 20 nights and couting.

This promotion will allow me to achieve nex level.

Hope we can enter!!!!

trevfour Platinum

Very good hypothesis Brightlybob.

But alas, incorrect. I am Plat with <30 nights (26 actually) and that includes 10 for using Rewards credit card.

HHmmmm, I'm not quite ready to admit defeat yet. I did enter approx numbers and of course the announcement was made now 2 weeks ago where some, like ramoneur have had a solid long stay at Marriotts subsequently which has changed his averages. 26 is not far from 30, and if the selection was made at the end of March with only first quarter gone, then the figures at that point would be more like 13 for Gold and 19 for Plat, indeed to end April the precise nights needed to be on target would be 17 for Gold and 25 for Plat.

I'm not sure when the sweep was done to establish eligible accounts (on whatever criteria) whether it took into account the effect of rollovers, but  suspect it will have been a simple sweep through all the low staying accounts. Marriott does have a history of doing this and a few years ago when I was way short of renewing Plat I received an offer to renew on 18 nights over the last 3 months of the year.

WHat we need is more data points form out international members to try and make sense of this...

monisame Platinum

Thank!s!!  Maybe, Maybe not.

Think about those like us who are  not us residents.

Marriott is not everywhere, we deserve a compesation foy our loyalty.

I mean it is easier people who lives in the States to achieve a gold or a platinum status.

I got 20 nights this year if I were able to achive this promotion I will be just there to keep my status. And It also can give me the oportunity to reach un upgrade in it.

Marriott should clear it all this. The uk site has a link to enter to the promorion but it does not allow you to enter.

If it's on your promos page monisame you should be able to click through, if not try calling the elite line and asking to register for the international double nights promo, according to Flyertalk quite a few who don't see it on their offer page are getting it via the phone. Alas Marriotts IT isn't as thorough as it should be, so do try calling.

7 Gold 1 Reviews

brightlybob you can add me as a data point in favor of your theory. I'm Platinum with 24 so far this year.

SO you're at 24 nights and I'm assuming you've received the offer?

At at end March I was on 10 nights but then had 4 back-to-back Marriott stays lasting 14 nights and bringing my total up, by mid-April to 24 nights, where I remain. This has turned out to be a particularly heavy staying year, but almost all backloaded to the final 4 months so the offer will work particularly well for me.

7 Gold 1 Reviews

Yes, that's correct. Sorry for the lack of clarity, but I mentioned in a previous thread that I received the offer and I just assumed you memorized every post on the forum.

monisame Platinum

A question about this issue. I was elegible to this promo. . Reading the terms and conditions it seems that all the nights you make between june and december counts double. If I am right, here is a question. My last stay at a Marriott's  Property was on may 28th and the check out was on june 2th. Marriott added me five nights!!!  One of them should have been counted double. Or not.??????

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...